Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

zazaodh

Old January 9th, 2015, 09:25 AM
So I am undertaking the rather large task of creating Rappan Athuk in Realm Works and have hit an early snag.

For each room of the dungeon floors, is a Location (Places: Location) or Scene (Events: Scene) more appropriate?

Location makes somewhat more sense logically, however it does not automatically have Hero Labs scene portfolio, scene statblock, challenge level, encounter type or rewards snippets.

Am I missing something and Scene is meant to be used for this, or is there an entirely different type that fits even better? What do you use?
zazaodh is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old January 9th, 2015, 09:28 AM
I tend to use Location to contain the map of the dungeon, then Scenes for each individual room.
Farling is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old January 9th, 2015, 09:41 AM
The original intent was to have a Location and a Scene, separating the description of a place (the Location) from any encounters (Scenes) that might happen there. Those lines get blurred in published adventures (especially dungeon exploration types) where most encounters are tied to a specific place and never move around, and most locations have zero or one encounters.

You might find that the best compromise is to create a custom category that fits your needs. Duplicate Location or Scene and add items from the other so you have everything in one place.

Last edited by Parody; January 9th, 2015 at 09:43 AM.
Parody is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
zazaodh

Old January 9th, 2015, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
I tend to use Location to contain the map of the dungeon, then Scenes for each individual room.
Interesting, I am doing the same thing but with Adventure Area for each level of the dungeon (There are 48 dungeon levels in Rappan Athuk!).

You lose Profile (Customs, languages, rituals, ideology, faith, alignment, beliefs, aspirations, reputation) and gain a Smart Image (Map) in Description. This to me is preferable because each level has a map, and little use for the Profile snippets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
The original intent was to have a Location and a Scene, separating the description of a place (the Location) from any encounters (Scenes) that might happen there. Those lines get blurred in published adventures (especially dungeon exploration types) where most encounters are tied to a specific place and never move around, and most locations have zero or one encounters.

You might find that the best compromise is to create a custom category that fits your needs. Duplicate Location or Scene and add items from the other so you have everything in one place.
The thought of having each room as a Location and each encounter as a Scene would almost double my number of topics! As you mention, most rooms end up having an encounter, trap or similar.

It would also mean having to possibly flip back and forth between the two tabs. This could make it very easy to overlook parts of either topic, for me at least.

Creating a custom category is something I have no real idea what I am doing with. Once I create it, is it possible to switch over my already created Scenes to the new custom category? Or would I have to create new topics and manually copy everything over before deleting the Scenes?
zazaodh is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old January 9th, 2015, 11:09 AM
Yes, you can assign a different Category to an existing Topic/Article.

Parody is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old January 9th, 2015, 01:36 PM
I used Adventure Area for Rappan Athuk which contains a Location for each level which contain a Scene for each room.

I put a master map of RA in the Adventure Area which has history and overview of the dungeon and a table of each level with their major NPCs.

I put maps for each level in the Location as well as wandering monsters, common details, door details, and table of rooms and mobs/NPCs.

The tables with NPCs include not only the ones that have their own topics (and links ) but also the minor players that are embedded in the room descriptions so I have a single page to search on if necessary.

This has worked out really well for Stoneheart Mountain, the Abandoned Keep and material for Sword of Air as well.
AEIOU is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
jkthomsen9

Old January 9th, 2015, 03:45 PM
I use Location tab for general information you would find in a gazetteer. Therefore my Places tab is set up in a hierarchy from planet to shop. In pathfinder it would look something like.

Golarion (Planetary Body) Planet
Avistan (Region: Geographical) Continent
Lands of the Linnorm Kings (Region: Political) Country
Kalsgard (Community)
Jade Quarter (Region: Urban)
Madam K's Perfumery(Merchant)
Varisia (Region: Political) Country
Sandpoint (Community)
Rusty Dragon (Merchant)
Crown of the World (Region: Geographical) Polar Ice cap
Outer Rim (Region: Geographical) Geographical region within the Crown of the Word
Iqualiat (Community)

Then in my Events Tab I set up a hierarchy From an Adventure path down to an encounter.

Jade Regent Adventure path (Incident)
The Hungry Storm (Storyline)
Part Two: The High Ice (Quest)
(J) Iqualiat (Scene)
In this example in the Incident I put basic DM information for the whole AP. In the storyline I list the adventure summary and adventure background. In the quest I list the info for segmenting into the new part. In the scene in i put the info for running the encounter.

Notice That I have an entry for Iqaliat as both a scene and a community. This way you have a link to the city as a whole with entries for notable NPC and locations, and an entry for the specific events that occur when the party enters town in the Jade Regent AP.

Last edited by jkthomsen9; January 9th, 2015 at 03:53 PM.
jkthomsen9 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
zazaodh

Old January 14th, 2015, 08:52 AM
Sorry for taking a while to get back to you, but thank you ever so much for the detailed reply.

It is really thought provoking to see how you go about laying this out!
zazaodh is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Pollution

Old January 15th, 2015, 03:38 AM
Personally, I like having the rooms be locations. Just keeps the dungeon separate from the plot. So if a player goes, "what happened in the Emerald Spire?" they can go to locations (what they'd think of first), and then find out.

You could also interject scenes in the location if you want. I've done that with a few events in my games. There's nothing stopping you from putting a dungeon crawl under Places, and then on Level 3, Room C4 they find a quest...Under C4 there's a scene.

You can mix and match. If you wanted to (don't reccomend it) you could put the shopkeepers under their shops in locations. So you'd have:

Town
------Shop
----------Owner
------Shop 2
-----------Owner
-----------Employee
-------Shop 3
etc...

Not the best way of doing things, but you could.

As to rooms in a dungeon? I use Places. I have standardized Challenges = Mobs, Obstacles = Traps, Valuables = Treasure, Additional Details = Stuff (like to the next level, or XP for finishing a story in this room, etc...) When I want a hero lab portfolio under Challenges, I just right click the text box explaining the overview of what they're facing, and add snippet below>hero lab portfolio. Then load up the port. I find that when I mess with category definitions for a published Pathfinder adventure, I get confused and things vanish. I'd rather add custom to each topic, and then remove empty topics and snippets.

I find that works best for me. Everything is in one place.

(currently working on the Emerald Spire Superdungeon, so trying to keep EVERYTHING neat so I don't go mad)
Pollution is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old January 15th, 2015, 05:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollution View Post
You can mix and match. If you wanted to (don't reccomend it) you could put the shopkeepers under their shops in locations. So you'd have:

Town
------Shop
----------Owner
------Shop 2
-----------Owner
-----------Employee
-------Shop 3
etc...

Not the best way of doing things, but you could.
So far I have found it is better to have the shops and owners on the actual town/city/village topic. In fact I am now working on a new population centre topic category, and one of the sections is just for shops, owners, another for notable NPCs (thse are NPCs they will from time ot time interact with, but are not story based NPCs worth their own topic). One thing I am trying to avoid is going topic crazy.

Until the new version of CC3 I am not mapping at moment I am working on things already mapped, mostly adventure conent and the campaign story itself. Once CC3+ is released I will map out my world and do alot of the flushing out of the locations.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #10 Reply With Quote