Notices

Booker Grimm

Old March 17th, 2017, 01:12 PM
Have it installed on my laptop too.
They use the same key...
Booker Grimm is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old March 17th, 2017, 01:19 PM
That's your problem. Hero Lab is only meant to be used for 1 key per machine. If you open Hero Lab and goto the license menu you will see a menu option to obtain a secondary key. The first one is free. Do that and make sure you have 1 unique key per device.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 17th, 2017, 01:20 PM
To be clear, Hero Lab is licensed for use on two devices (with the option to purchase more), but each device must be given its own, unique license number, or you'll get the cycle of requiring frequent license reassignments that you're seeing.
Mathias is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Booker Grimm

Old March 17th, 2017, 01:30 PM
Many thanks guys. The secondary key was what I needed. Strange how it allowed me to have it on my laptop under the same key though.
Booker Grimm is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 17th, 2017, 01:43 PM
Hero Lab thought you had stopped using the desktop, and now wanted to use this license number on the laptop (and then when you updated the desktop, it thought you had stopped using the laptop, and now wanted to use that number on the desktop, and so on, as each system did something, like an update, that prompted HL to check with the license server).
Mathias is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
taks

Old June 11th, 2017, 08:10 AM
It has not been fixed. I switched from Windows 10 to Windows 10 Pro a few months ago, and re-activated my license. Just the other day, Windows 10 decided to update itself and now I can't use HL because it thinks it's a different computer. Since it's Sunday, I'm pretty much screwed. Grrr...
taks is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old June 16th, 2017, 12:27 AM
I sincerely hope that they switch the licensing system over to floating license as they did with Realm Works. I never need HL running on two machines at the same time, but I do use more than two different computers for session preparation and running games.
Merion is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old June 16th, 2017, 02:21 AM
+10,959

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old June 16th, 2017, 06:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merion View Post
I sincerely hope that they switch the licensing system over to floating license as they did with Realm Works. I never need HL running on two machines at the same time, but I do use more than two different computers for session preparation and running games.
RealmWorks doesn't really use a floating license, since you can only log into their server from one computer at a time.

HeroLab doesn't need any network connections, so there is no way to enforce the use of one machine at a time for a "floating" license.
Farling is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old June 26th, 2017, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
RealmWorks doesn't really use a floating license, since you can only log into their server from one computer at a time.

HeroLab doesn't need any network connections, so there is no way to enforce the use of one machine at a time for a "floating" license.
Alright, I slighty misused the term "floating license"..

Still, I take it, you understand my point. For all I care, keep the current model but add an online login as you have in Realm Works and I'd be happy. Not really expecting it though.
Merion is offline   #20 Reply With Quote