Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

MNBlockHead

Old February 18th, 2017, 09:09 PM
I'm in the middle of a convention. Played in an Adventurer's League game with a new character that also leveled up. Plan to play again tomorrow.

Came home and fired up hero labs and sow that there was a new version. I downloaded and installed. After installing I prompts me for a license reassignment.

And, as I type this, I realize that on Friday I upgraded my laptop from Windows 10 home to Windows 10 Pro. Would that cause HL to treat my laptop, that already has HL installed on it as a new computer?

I'm guessing that is what happened. Man, this sucks big time. I can't save or print characters now. Looks like I'm stuff with the gimped trial version until Monday at the earliest.

Any way around this? Hating myself for upgrading on weekend. Should have learned by now, NEVER upgrade RW or HL within three business days of a game day. Ugh.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old February 18th, 2017, 10:02 PM
I have seen periodic Windows updates make sufficient changes to cause HeroLab to see the machine as new. I have noted that some windows updates are sufficient to cause Windows to act like a new install.

Send a support ticket. Message board posts will be seen when someone has time to look. A support request/bug report may get faster attention.
Silveras is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old February 18th, 2017, 10:29 PM
I submitted a bug report

MNBlockHead is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Portilis

Old February 19th, 2017, 12:07 AM
I had a few issues with this when Win10 was in the trial phase, as I'm on the insider programs for the OS.

From my understanding of the discussions I had with LW techs at the time, there is a particular unique key that Hero Lab looks for to confirm that the copy of windows it is installed on is the one expected by the license, which changes when you change Windows versions. I believe from memory that it has been sorted so that it won't cause issues with normal Windows updates, but it is still an issue if altering Windows version or on the Insider Program because they effectively install fresh copies of Windows with new unique keys.
Portilis is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 20th, 2017, 05:20 AM
Windows updates like Portilis describes should no longer require a license reassignment - this was something we fixed several months ago, so it should no longer affect users.

Based on your support ticket, it looks like you updated to a new version of the OS (Windows 10 Home -> Windows 10 Pro). This changes some critical information about the computer, so to Hero Lab it looks like a new device - there's not unfortunately not much we can do about this.

I've flagged your license for an early reassignment and responded to your support ticket, so you should be good to go on this.

Last edited by Colen; February 20th, 2017 at 05:22 AM.
Colen is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
hyperionahal

Old March 3rd, 2017, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colen View Post
Windows updates like Portilis describes should no longer require a license reassignment - this was something we fixed several months ago, so it should no longer affect users.

Based on your support ticket, it looks like you updated to a new version of the OS (Windows 10 Home -> Windows 10 Pro). This changes some critical information about the computer, so to Hero Lab it looks like a new device - there's not unfortunately not much we can do about this.

I've flagged your license for an early reassignment and responded to your support ticket, so you should be good to go on this.
I also am having this issue, but I have not significantly changed anything in the last 48 hours or so that I know of. Now I find myself locked out for a couple of days. I am not very happy about this turn of events, tonight was going to be the first game I played using this software. I have entered my early reactivation ticket, but with a response time of 1-2 days there is little point in hoping to use this tonight.

There may not be much you can do about it; but as far as early impressions go this is a pretty bad one.
hyperionahal is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old March 4th, 2017, 01:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperionahal View Post
I also am having this issue, but I have not significantly changed anything in the last 48 hours or so that I know of. Now I find myself locked out for a couple of days. I am not very happy about this turn of events, tonight was going to be the first game I played using this software. I have entered my early reactivation ticket, but with a response time of 1-2 days there is little point in hoping to use this tonight.

There may not be much you can do about it; but as far as early impressions go this is a pretty bad one.
Are you using the same actual license key string on more than one machine?

This is a problem that new users sometimes encounter. You need to use a different key on each machine, otherwise you get these re-assignment problems.

The basic product ships with at least 2 license key strings for use on different machines.
Farling is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old February 20th, 2017, 09:26 AM
Thanks Colen!

MNBlockHead is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Booker Grimm

Old March 17th, 2017, 11:53 AM
Hi, I have had this problem when updating your software. I ran a windows 10 update and then ran an update to fix bugs on Hero Lab and I have to do this early reactivation thing.

So the problem still exists (someone upthread mentioned that it had been fixed).
I am proof that it hasn't.

Is this going to happen every time win 10 updates or I want to update Hero Labs?
Booker Grimm is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old March 17th, 2017, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booker Grimm View Post
Hi, I have had this problem when updating your software. I ran a windows 10 update and then ran an update to fix bugs on Hero Lab and I have to do this early reactivation thing.

So the problem still exists (someone upthread mentioned that it had been fixed).
I am proof that it hasn't.

Is this going to happen every time win 10 updates or I want to update Hero Labs?
Do you have it installed on more than one computer?

If so, are they all using different license keys?
Farling is offline   #10 Reply With Quote