Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Mergon

Old March 13th, 2017, 08:31 AM
I looked at dndbeyond.com and the trailer. The only good thing I can say about the utility is it is being done by Curse. Curse created and supports the utility that handles WOrld of Warcraft addons (and addons for other games).

Other than that, as it is, it looks remarkably like the online builder software the WotC put out for 4e.

Watch your back, Conserve your ammo,
and NEVER cut a deal with a dragon!
Mergon is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
HippyCraig

Old March 13th, 2017, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmric View Post
Not really happy that D&D Beyond will have a monthly subscription fee.
Hopefully HL will get a licence.
See info below that was posted on the forums at Reddit.
---------------------------------------------------
Adam here, product lead for DDB at Curse.
At launch, players will be able to access SRD content and build and view a small number of characters with a free D&D Beyond account.
We don’t have exact pricing nailed down, but you will also be able to buy official digital D&D content for all fifth edition products with flexible purchase options. You can pay only for the D&D content you need. If you only play fighters, for example, you’ll be able to just pick up the stuff you need to track swinging that giant two-handed sword.
A small monthly subscription will be needed to manage more than a handful of characters and to enable more advanced features, like homebrew content integration. At this time, we don’t know exactly how much the subscription will cost, but please continue to check dndbeyond.com for the most up-to-date announcements and information!
-----------------------------------------------------
Based on the above from Curse, it sounds like the same pricing model in Fantasy Grounds, they have small packs but who buy's that, you would eventually want to play all classes so you pay for the full book and that will be the cost of the physical ones. REALLY!!!!

Then they talk about campaign management, I cant imagine that will be any good web only based tools are going to be limited, and importing content to that is going to be a nightmare.

LW has a good product I wouldn't want to see them loose out because of this, LW is clearly a superior product.
HippyCraig is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old March 13th, 2017, 01:59 PM
What ever this is for is much more exciting IMO than D&D Beyond.

Veteran Web UI/Front-End App DeveloperAbout UsJobsVeteran Web UI/Front-End App Developer LoneWolf_web

I have no doubt that it will be a good tool. It's going to be very popular.

But...

Hero Lab has a very significant advantage in its partnership with Realm Works. Realm Works is capable of changing the RPG scene quite a bit IMO and if they can pull off everything they have planned in that space plus improve the Hero Lab experience I think they will have customers running at them with open wallets.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
dropbear8mybaby

Old March 13th, 2017, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergon View Post
I ended up cancelling my DnDInsider account, gave away all my 4e materials, and absolutely refuse to run or play 4e.
And yet you put up with Hero Lab.
dropbear8mybaby is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old March 13th, 2017, 05:29 PM
HL charges you a 1 time license fee. You can create an unlimited number of characters. If they had a real license instead of just SRD, then they'll charge for official materials. But they have always had Community packs.

The differences are so huge that you can't compare the two, or more, utilities.

Watch your back, Conserve your ammo,
and NEVER cut a deal with a dragon!
Mergon is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
dropbear8mybaby

Old March 13th, 2017, 08:29 PM
Quote:
HL charges you a 1 time license fee. You can create an unlimited number of characters. If they had a real license instead of just SRD, then they'll charge for official materials. But they have always had Community packs.

The differences are so huge that you can't compare the two, or more, utilities.
HL also hasn't changed from when it was first brought out. And even when it first came out, it was already a very dated and clunky interface.

Community packs shouldn't be a measure of a paid for product either. Relying on the work of unpaid volunteers as part of your business model isn't exactly what I'd call ethical. The fact that they haven't been able to get a license while Curse, FG and Roll20 have, is also telling.

Hell, the only reason I dropped money on HL was because FG was too expensive, I had no desire to use a VTT for character generation and homebrew, and nothing else existed to fill the niche I needed.

Now that there's genuine competition, all of a sudden we see LW looking for an UI designer. Too little, too late. Then again, they've already got my money so it's not like they care.
dropbear8mybaby is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old March 13th, 2017, 08:35 PM
The role for the UI designer came out before everyone found out about this btw. The two are not interlinked from what I can tell.

CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old March 14th, 2017, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropbear8mybaby View Post
HL also hasn't changed from when it was first brought out. And even when it first came out, it was already a very dated and clunky interface.

Community packs shouldn't be a measure of a paid for product either. Relying on the work of unpaid volunteers as part of your business model isn't exactly what I'd call ethical. The fact that they haven't been able to get a license while Curse, FG and Roll20 have, is also telling.

Hell, the only reason I dropped money on HL was because FG was too expensive, I had no desire to use a VTT for character generation and homebrew, and nothing else existed to fill the niche I needed.

Now that there's genuine competition, all of a sudden we see LW looking for an UI designer. Too little, too late. Then again, they've already got my money so it's not like they care.
Though I couldn't care less about 5e or Wizards, I ditched them long ago, with no chance of turning back. Your post strikes me in an odd way.

There have been many character tools like HL along the way as traditional Pen and Paper RPGs transition to the digital age, only slightly faster then the Athabasca Glacier.

Few of them are still here today, HL being one of them.

You also make a great point, HL is reasonably priced for a dedicated product, offering one thing, character management. In a nutshell you have actually helped its position, the opposite your posts would have me believe.

Though I agree HL UI is clunky, it is also the best over all character management tool I have used to date. It is also one the best Tactical Consoles, as it is so well tied into the ability to its character management tool that can be used for encounter management. You must also see this, or you would not be here, or owning it. Though of all its components, the Console could use the most "refreshing".

Though on going it can seem costly, but no more so then buying all the books is. In fact, if you buy PDFs + HL it is very close to the same cost, enough so its a push, and saves a few trees along the way.

LWD has had and will always have some competition, but unlike Code Monkeys which I was also heavily invested in, LWD is still here, and expanding its product base, not shrinking it. Realm Works is a great product and extension of the digital age finally arriving for RPGs, but its also separate, not buy it all or not at all, we have here a choice to buy into either or both. You can also buy only what you need, as you need it.

The idea that HL UI was to be improved has been spoken of here for some time, but it was also evident that until RW was ready for general market place consumption, that was in the future. Hopefully the job posting is an indication that future is now going to be a reality.

Digital RPG tools is a small niche market, no Microsoft or Apple here. So it should be understood that we are not going to see an overnight revolution, but small evolutionary steps. Hell even man didn't just get up one day and walk away from its home in the sea.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV

Last edited by Exmortis; March 14th, 2017 at 12:32 PM.
Exmortis is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old March 14th, 2017, 02:48 PM
I tell you what...

They had a great first day. Then they dropped the subscription info and it went off like a bomb.

Going to be interesting to see if people get behind this. I'm sure it will be popular regardless but people certainly don't like subscription based products which is completely understandable.

I've cancelled my Syrinscape sub, we only play once a month, and that single session isn't worth the $10. It would be the same for this with me.

CC3+ Facebook User Group

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
chaoscowboy

Old March 15th, 2017, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Perhaps, but if its anything like Fantasy Grounds the price will be ridiculous. If HL got a License I might consider it, but Fantasy Grounds has a ridiculous UI and pricing.

Right now, having just got Realm Works, I am trying to figure everything out. I'll be happier when HL revamps its tactical display,

To date, HL's pricing has been reasonable, but WotC believes in unreasonable pricing. You pay a small fortune for the hard cover books, then spend the same or more for digital copies like in Fantasy Ground.
I disagree with the reasonable pricing statement.
chaoscowboy is offline   #20 Reply With Quote