Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Paragon

Old January 22nd, 2015, 01:22 PM
So, for my XCOM game, the kinetic strike module for MEC Troopers is very powerful--it adds 2d12 to the Strength of the trooper for punching. Hand weapons only appear to be set up to add a maximum of 1d12. Is there some Savage Worlds rule that says you aren't supposed to do more than 1d12 that I'm unaware of? If not, how does one do this in HL?
Paragon is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old January 22nd, 2015, 02:35 PM
You should be able to use the "Special Damage" field instead, is all, if I remember the field name correctly.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old January 22nd, 2015, 03:06 PM
It is a minor hack, but it works. I tested it. I usually test whatever I share, the only exception is when I am giving ideas while away from my computer.

If you want it to still count the Strength die, here is how to do it.

For the "Weapon Die" field, put "None". Leave "Special Damage" blank.

Make an Eval Script. I tested it at Traits 5000, which allows for mods to Strength to already exist.

Code:
var strVal as number
var damage as string
strVal = #trait[attrStr]
damage = "nothing"

if (strVal < 2) then
     damage = "2d4-2"
elseif (strVal = 2) then
     damage = "Str + 2d4"
elseif (strVal = 3) then
     damage = "Str + 2d6"
elseif (strVal = 4) then
     damage = "Str + 2d8"
elseif (strVal = 5) then
     damage = "Str + 2d10"
else
     damage = "Str + 2d12"
endif

this.field[wpDamage].text = damage

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old January 22nd, 2015, 08:48 PM
I initially used the special damage, but as SeelyOne guessed, it doesn't add Strength to the listed die roll when you do that.
Paragon is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old January 23rd, 2015, 04:05 AM
Agreed.Special Damage is basically just a text field,so you'd just put "Str+2d12" and the player would figure it out from there. SeelyOne's method shows the Str value and even reduces the damage die based on the Str value like it says to do in the SW rules. Very cool.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old January 23rd, 2015, 06:12 AM
Thanks, SeelyOne.

Makes me wonder if there's an unstated assumption in the rules though; I notice none of the exemplar melee weapons are multiple dice. On the other hand, you do have weapons in the Science Fiction Companion add a d6 to the weapon's base damage. Yet they're perfectly happy to have heavy weapons that do so. Kind of strange.
Paragon is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old January 23rd, 2015, 06:30 AM
Well, I would guess the underlying assumption in the base SWD rules is that individuals in melee combat would have a base range of weapon and armor types, and that a base cap of d12 is appropriate for the armors available. Any individual setting, though, could certainly change anything like that. I don't think there is otherwise anything specific in the core rules discussing it, though.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old January 23rd, 2015, 04:54 PM
Even with the SF melee weapons in the core book they went for a flat adder rather than a die bonus, though, which is what makes me wonder if that's the route I should be taking instead. But as you say, I can't find anything that says that's more appropriate than another die.
Paragon is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old January 23rd, 2015, 06:19 PM
At any rate, it is now here should anyone have a reason to use it.

You can probably remove the
Code:
if (strVal < 2) then
     damage = "2d4-2"
and replace the first elseif with an if. I had put that in because I could have sworn I have seen an attribute at d4 in some of the settings. Shaintar comes to mind. I cannot recall off-hand if there is a d4-2 in the actual framework of HL, but if so it would be a rating of 1.

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #9 Reply With Quote