Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

LetoIgnarus

Old March 29th, 2011, 01:15 PM
So I reloaded my netbook today and went to reinstall Hero Lab but it didn't accept my primary or secondary license under Activate/Reactivate/Manual Activation.

I decided to go ahead and buy another license (a tertiary license) and give one to a friend once the 4month period has expired.

So i go through and attempt to use my third license but it still does the same thing. It says you have activated blah blah, restart so I restart Hero Lab and it tells me I am in demonstration mode.

I just want to use the dang software, what do I need to do?
LetoIgnarus is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 29th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Och... sounds like bad luck. First thing to do is email support@wolflair.com. They might take a few days to get back to you, but it is the official channel.
Duggan is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
LetoIgnarus

Old March 30th, 2011, 05:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duggan View Post
Och... sounds like bad luck. First thing to do is email support@wolflair.com. They might take a few days to get back to you, but it is the official channel.
I did, but my game is Thursday night.. =(
LetoIgnarus is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 30th, 2011, 07:20 AM
{nods} It's possible that Colen or Rob will notice your message and do something, but they're usually pretty busy. Perils of a small company, I'm afraid.
Duggan is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old March 30th, 2011, 07:25 AM
Basically, they need to reset your license so it can be used on your computer again. Hopefully they can get to it soon.
Sendric is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old March 30th, 2011, 07:30 AM
Did you re-activate the secondary license?

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 30th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetoIgnarus View Post
So I reloaded my netbook today and went to reinstall Hero Lab but it didn't accept my primary or secondary license under Activate/Reactivate/Manual Activation.

I decided to go ahead and buy another license (a tertiary license) and give one to a friend once the 4month period has expired.

So i go through and attempt to use my third license but it still does the same thing. It says you have activated blah blah, restart so I restart Hero Lab and it tells me I am in demonstration mode.

I just want to use the dang software, what do I need to do?
First of all, without any of your license information, there's nothing any of us can do on this end. So you have to send an email to tech support with that information before anything can be done to solve this for you. For your own security, please do NOT post that information publicly on the forums.

If the error you are getting is that your existing license can't be transferred due to the four-month waiting period, that's easily and quickly fixed. Be sure to use the special form for reporting that problem to us. When you are shown the error, there is a link you can click to access the special form. Early reassignment issues have a separate priority queue, so use the special form for that.

If you are having problems with a brand new license (the third one you just purchased), I doubt you are getting the same error message (about the waiting period). That means something else is going sideways for you, which probably means a security or privilege issue on the new netbook. Make sure that you are running Hero Lab with Administrator privileges on the netbook. Also make sure that Hero Lab has been added to your firewall exceptions list and has been authorized to access the internet through any internet security software you have installed.

Hope this helps...
rob is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
LetoIgnarus

Old March 30th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
First of all, without any of your license information, there's nothing any of us can do on this end. So you have to send an email to tech support with that information before anything can be done to solve this for you. For your own security, please do NOT post that information publicly on the forums.

If the error you are getting is that your existing license can't be transferred due to the four-month waiting period, that's easily and quickly fixed. Be sure to use the special form for reporting that problem to us. When you are shown the error, there is a link you can click to access the special form. Early reassignment issues have a separate priority queue, so use the special form for that.

If you are having problems with a brand new license (the third one you just purchased), I doubt you are getting the same error message (about the waiting period). That means something else is going sideways for you, which probably means a security or privilege issue on the new netbook. Make sure that you are running Hero Lab with Administrator privileges on the netbook. Also make sure that Hero Lab has been added to your firewall exceptions list and has been authorized to access the internet through any internet security software you have installed.

Hope this helps...
I never got any message other than "You are using demonstration mode" and "Congrats it is now active, restart for it to take effect"

Got an email from Nancy today saying all the keys have been modified so they can be re-assigned. Still not working. If it ends up being the admin privileges thing, I just might punch a hole in the universe...
LetoIgnarus is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
LetoIgnarus

Old March 30th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Running as administrator, disabled every piece of security. Turned UAC off, gave full permissions at every level to Hero Lab.

Activate the key

Restart and..

Last edited by LetoIgnarus; March 30th, 2011 at 05:26 PM.
LetoIgnarus is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 30th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Please do the following...

1. Go through the license activation wizard again.
2. When it prompts you to restart Hero Lab, say NO.
3. Exit Hero Lab.
4. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the folder where you installed Hero Lab. By default, this will be "c:\HeroLab".
5. Look for a file name "hpkey.lic".
6. Verify that file has a size of approximately 2,500 bytes and that it has a date/time of when you completed the wizard.
7. Try opening the file within Notepad. You should see a bunch of garbage that starts with "LWDK".

Based on the above, here are some important things to try and/or answer for me:

1. If the date/time of the file is not when you completed the wizard, delete it manually and try again.

2. If the file contains something different from what I describe above, please post the first bunch of lines from the file for me to look at.

3. Did you install Hero Lab in its default location or somewhere else?

4. If you installed Hero Lab beneath the "Program Files" folder, then you could be running into a variety of problems that have been outlined in other threads here on the forums. The simplest fix in this case is to uninstall Hero Lab and re-install it in its default location. Otherwise, you'll likely have some hoops to jump through based on the problems you've been encountering. If you want to jump through the hoops, we'll work with you to resolve them - it's entirely your choice.

That's a good set of things to check for starter. Based on your answers, we can pursue appropriate avenues to get this solved for you.
rob is offline   #10 Reply With Quote