Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - 4th Edition
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 26th, 2011, 01:50 PM
The Hero Lab team is working on getting the downloader updated. Give it time. I actually got a year of D&DI to keep HL updated. HL is worth it. My group wont touch pathfinder.
RavenX is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
Vrex

Old January 26th, 2011, 04:41 PM
I submitted a tech support request to Wizards.com yesterday, using Colen's suggestion posted above. They replied:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizards Tech Support
Thank you for reporting this bug. We appreciate your help in improving our product.
We will submit your issue to our developers for review. I can not guarantee any further follow up with you about this bug but we may contact you for further information. .
That was the end of their contact. I just noticed that it is marked "Solved" and "Closed" in the Wizards online bug tracker. However, I am not at home where I can test Hero Lab and the DDIDownloader. Anyone online and want to try it out?

Cheers.

EDIT: Just tried from Home- no luck. Same error.
=[
I guess WotC really wants me to play Mutants & Masterminds...

Last edited by Vrex; January 26th, 2011 at 05:48 PM.
Vrex is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
Roman Virtue

Old January 26th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrex View Post
I guess WotC really wants me to play Mutants & Masterminds...
So does Green Ronin!

But yeah, they're very bad about customer service (WotC I mean), it's one of the reasons I stopped going to their forums. But at least I know that the HL team is working on it!
Roman Virtue is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old January 26th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman Virtue View Post
So does Green Ronin!

But yeah, they're very bad about customer service (WotC I mean), it's one of the reasons I stopped going to their forums. But at least I know that the HL team is working on it!
very bad might be the understatement of the century...

The crap they pulled last year was not cool at all. I nearly quit running 4e altogether until I found Hero Lab. WOTC's "Customer Support" is basically a bird finger with "We'll get to it when we get to it." tattooed on it. I had reported bugs to them many times for the old CB and never got any response aside from the automated email. WOTC only cares about selling product, customer service is not high on their priorities.
RavenX is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 28th, 2011, 09:57 AM
A quick update on this. The problem took me quite a while to pin down - the issue appears to be that if you search for any combination of powers that include specifically level 1 wizard powers (yes, it's weird - no idea why), the search fails. This means that the downloader's method of finding the list of powers to download no longer works.

I've figured out an alternate way of getting (I think) all the powers, *except for level 1 wizard powers*, and I'm working on implementing that now. Unfortunately, this means that until Wizards fixes the bug in the Compendium, level 1 wizard powers will not be available in the downloader. (I'm trying to add a way of preserving them from previous releases, so if you downloaded stuff last month the old powers are carried across).

Our current ETA on this is the start of next week for a 4e update. That should give us enough time to make sure there aren't any other bugs lurking in the compendium stuff that we rely on, plus work on some of the other bug fixes on our list.

Question for everyone - is the D&D Insider policy now to update in the middle of the month? I thought they normally planned updates on the first Tuesday of each month, but it looks like the last few have been happening mid-month.
Colen is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
Bobcat11

Old January 28th, 2011, 01:15 PM
They seem to have a pretty much ad-hoc update policy now. But I'm glad to hear we're getting close to an update.
Bobcat11 is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
Vrex

Old January 28th, 2011, 02:57 PM
I'm happy to hear about the update, but feel sorry for Colen and the lot at Lone Wolf. If I were in their shoes, I'm not sure I'd want to deal with the hassle of WotC's erratic coding/updating behavior.
Vrex is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
Roman Virtue

Old January 28th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Thank you so much Colen, your work on this is greatly appreciated! It's really a shame that they're the only source for this info, I haven't had to deal with them in a long time and now I understand the frustration I hear from others. WotC seems to be operating under the philosophy of "Let's see how long we can screw with our ever-shrinking customer base before they riot!" I, for one, am not amused...
Roman Virtue is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old January 28th, 2011, 11:57 PM
Colen, the WOTC updates happen haphazardly lately. Basically they are giving them when they get around to them... so we never really know when the updates will be posted. will the update for this month get the new Essentials classes?
RavenX is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 1st, 2011, 03:33 PM
Unfortunately no essentials classes this month, sorry. All the extra time I had budgeted for 4e ended up getting spent on fixing the issue with wizard powers.
Colen is offline   #30 Reply With Quote