Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

Fellstar

Old November 9th, 2006, 08:07 AM
After playing with the Hero Lab preview, I have a couple of suggestions to make concerning the UI. As I commented in my other post, I think the vast majority of the UI features are extremely well done. However, I would like to see the following addressed if at all possible:

For the top-level "tabs" (for lack of a better term) such as Basic, Weapons, Armor, etc., I sometimes find it not so obvious which one is current just by looking at the tabs themselves. The white text and border don't jump out at me. I would suggest adding a different background color to the current tab (something like a light blue on the default skin). That would make it stand out more in my opinion. But, that is certainly a minor nit.

Now for a more important concern - the popup windows. I must admit that these are the one thing in the current UI implementation that I do not like. Since they are modal and unmovable (at least I couldn't figure out how to move 'em), and since they always pop up in the center of the app, they tend to block things in the main window that I want to see. For instance, when I added new languages, the window pops up directly over the indicator in the main window that tells me how many languages I have left to pick. I can see a small portion of the text, so if I lose count, I have to keep adding until it turns red; then, I have to close the dialog and remove the extra language. I ran into this for a couple of other windows too. It would be better to make these dialogs movable so I could get them out of the way, and better yet, for the app to remember the location of the window I moved it to so the next time I open it, it opens in the same location so I don't have to move it again.

Other than that, great job!
Fellstar is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 7th, 2006, 07:47 PM
We've already enhanced the contrast of tabs a bit since the preview. However, the more obvious coloring of the tabs has been added to the todo list. It won't make it into V1.0, but it should appear in a future update.

One of the things we didn't get done in time for the preview is the inclusion of details like "you have three more languages left" on the chooser forms. That should be addressed in the final release. Making the forms movable turns out to be quite a bit of work unless we want to give the forms standard Windows titlebars, which are a bit odd when combined the otherwise stylized windows we use. We've put this on the todo list to look into solving post-V1.0, including remembering where the window was last positioned. Lastly, we plan on adding the summary panels to the chooser forms, although it's likely we won't get that squeezed into V1.0 - if not, it will be added in a future update.

Keep the suggestions coming! The success of our previous products has been decidedly enhanced by great suggestions from users!

Thanks, Rob

At 09:07 AM 11/9/2006, you wrote:

Quote:
After playing with the Hero Lab preview, I have a couple of suggestions to make concerning the UI. As I commented in my other post, I think the vast majority of the UI features are extremely well done. However, I would like to see the following addressed if at all possible:

For the top-level "tabs" (for lack of a better term) such as Basic, Weapons, Armor, etc., I sometimes find it not so obvious which one is current just by looking at the tabs themselves. The white text and border don't jump out at me. I would suggest adding a different background color to the current tab (something like a light blue on the default skin). That would make it stand out more in my opinion. But, that is certainly a minor nit.

Now for a more important concern - the popup windows. I must admit that these are the one thing in the current UI implementation that I do not like. Since they are modal and unmovable (at least I couldn't figure out how to move 'em), and since they always pop up in the center of the app, they tend to block things in the main window that I want to see. For instance, when I added new languages, the window pops up directly over the indicator in the main window that tells me how many languages I have left to pick. I can see a small portion of the text, so if I lose count, I have to keep adding until it turns red; then, I have to close the dialog and remove the extra language. I ran into this for a couple of other windows too. It would be better to make these dialogs movable so I could get them out of the way, and better yet, for the app to remember the location of the window I moved it to so the next time I open it, it opens in the same location so I don't have to move it again.

Other than that, great job!
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote