Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

tkarn

Old October 26th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Like to see the import of CC3-files.
tkarn is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
Shadowchaser

Old October 30th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Will it be possible to have some kind of Relationship mapping feature? You could have a 'tag' on each character showing what 'Map' they're on, then select other characters from a drop-down, and define their relationship. Then the program could draw up a relationship map?

... Pretty elaborate, yeah. But it'd be cool for things like Smallville or Mekton games.
Shadowchaser is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
McTaff

Old October 31st, 2010, 01:11 AM
Hi,

One thing I have ALWAYS wanted is additional monitor support / a program that spans monitors.

i.e. I use a laptop to track everything, and assuming Realm Works will fill all of my criteria, I decide to use it.

Example: I have a series of pictures, videos, whatever. I wish to click on a particular video and show it to the players. In advance, I have a TV or second monitor set up where the players can see it, and by selecting a check box and clicking on the source file within the program launches it in the second monitor.

Ideally, I'd like to see the second monitor have the program having a "sorta-full-screen" window in it, where I can launch videos, put up pictures rather like a pinboard. Having a small window in the top right or top left with some variables (like time, weather, general location, etc) would be extremely helpful, with pull-down menus (complete with 'new entry' boxes) that immediately gives me a proforma to check-box the available NPC's that frequent or are occasionally/always in the area - denoting who is present - and customise other variables with text input boxes.

Sounds complicated, but it's simply a small (self sizing) window that outputs simple text data from a series of proforma sheets and pull down menus.

Nothing worse than messing around with a laptop to show the party one picture when I have a perfectly good TV at the other side of the room that I could be using.

--------------

Also, a combat tracker that pops up there - with the party (along with their current initiative and any spell effects), and on MY side I can enter any and all monsters and when I check their checkboxes, they appear up there in the correct order.

Caveat: the monster name has to be customisable, but have the correct name showing for me, but with a description alongside it. The idea there is that if the party doesn't know what the creature is, I don't want them being told until they are absolutely sure. So, at first it would say "Reptilian Humanoid", and next to it I could type something like "tall, thin green skinned humanoid with unblinking eyes". Then, once they discover what Yuan-ti are, it will be "Yaun-ti creature", with a description, and then finally once they know enough I could denote the specific type of Yuan-ti.

Combat trackers are especially important that the party can see them, as it specifies exactly who goes when, without confusion. Nothing worse than when people are getting antsy over whose turn it is because they forgot their initiative.

----------

I'd also like every character sheet to be available to me at any given time, with any treasure I give out to be allocated to specific party members. Nothing worse than a convenient "Oh, I've got the Staff of Wind Mastery in my backpack" when the character who really has it happens to be unconscious at the bottom of a cliff. In the past, I have had to use 'playing card' blanks with the equipment and description written on it so I know who has what.

Oh, and tracking gems, party wealth in coins, and unidentified magic items.

-----

Sorry for the long-winded text. Hope we can get some awesome features in this product!
McTaff is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
manticore

Send a message via Yahoo to manticore Send a message via Skype™ to manticore

Old October 31st, 2010, 07:00 AM
I've been using Hero Labs/Pathfinder for several months now and I have to say that I love it. I've even converted a couple of my players into using. My problem is that I would like to try d20Pro at some point, but a lot of people between my 2 groups are old grognards and rather resistant to change. I even get the occasional gripe about using my laptop for anything.

From what I have read so far, it looks like something that I can really use for my campaigns, since they tend to be sprawling over time (still working on integrating a campaign that starts on Golarion and works its way through Rifts Earth and Phase World). I guess my only question is, since I would like to use d20Pro at some point, whether the group likes it or not, how might this integrate with that program? I understand they are made by 2 different companies, but there seems to be a lot of popular support for that product.

Also, so when can we sign up for the beta???

I am the Frugal Alcoholic, I bid you Southern Comfort.
manticore is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Creativeimages

Old October 31st, 2010, 02:40 PM
What does it rake to be a beta tester for Realm Works?
Creativeimages is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 3rd, 2010, 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativeimages View Post
What does it rake to be a beta tester for Realm Works?
There are no details regarding Beta testing yet, as specified here:
http://www.wolflair.com/index.php?context=realm_works

We'll definitely let everyone know once the details are finalized.
rob is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 3rd, 2010, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by manticore View Post
I guess my only question is, since I would like to use d20Pro at some point, whether the group likes it or not, how might this integrate with that program?
I don't have an answer to that question yet. We've been working closely with the d20Pro team regarding solid Hero Lab integration, so it's highly likely that integration with Realm Works will also be good. But we haven't worked out the details yet, let alone tested anything with them yet, so it's too early to say anything definitive. We'll let everyone know once we've had a chance to nail down the details with the d20Pro guys and verify everything will work well.
rob is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
PetriWessman

Old November 4th, 2010, 04:52 AM
One feature I'd love would be the ability to show stuff (images, typically) on another monitor with minimal hassle. The typical use case would be a laptop/netbook for the GM, and a small external monitor visible to the players. It would allow you (as the GM) to show the players all sorts of handouts, monster pics or whatever, without needing cumbersome paper prints or such.
PetriWessman is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 4th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetriWessman View Post
One feature I'd love would be the ability to show stuff (images, typically) on another monitor with minimal hassle.
That's exactly what we envisioned as a common use, so that's part of the design.
rob is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
McTaff

Old November 11th, 2010, 02:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
That's exactly what we envisioned as a common use, so that's part of the design.
http://forums.wolflair.com/showpost.php?p=46622&postcount=23

It goes so much further than a simple "can show a picture", too. At the flick of a 'switch', to be able to throw up a screen saver image while you hurry to organise something for them to look at, or having a combat tracker with initiative order (as in my previous post) the possibilities are endless. As lok as RW will be able to output pictures (jpg, gif, tif, raw, etc), have a limited video capability (mov, mp4, wmv) etc, and still have the flexibility to show a lot of information in a tidy and easy way, it'll be a winner.

Hey, I have a clipboard with an "embarrased DM" logo I printed up that I put in front of my DM screen while I'm working on something unexpected in the campaign. I have folders and folders full of pictures that I have to find, hand out and re-catalog after ever session. This feature of RW will make my life easier (and cheaper because i don't have to keep printing stuff).

----

One more suggestion - but a big one: How about a map tracker?

Whenever my party go for a dungeon crawl, I give a graph paper mathematics book to one of the players and describe the number of squares they need to sketch out. What would be nice if there was a 3D map tracker that allowed the DM to (if they wish) designate down to even a 5-foot-square by 5-foot-square resolution, what the party sees

(I envisage a minesweeper like grid that I simply drag the mouse over and click away the "fog of war" for them which then shows on their screen they can see.

The advantage is that you can beforehand (or on-the-fly) designate areas as "dark" or "treacherous footing" or "under guards and wards" or any number of conditions, and therefore get the radii of pre-cast/permanent/just-been-cast spells correct and be able to, at a glance, tell the party if they can see where that lightning bolt comes from. Nothing worse than getting halfway through the battle, the party are carving up some relatively easy foes, only to realise they were supposed to have been under a darkness spell or something that would have made the battle much more difficult. This way, at least, on my screen I'd be able to see what conditions are active, and what radius they have, and where the creatures are.

-

Obviously, having a battlefield tracker to go with it would be epically awesome, so I can move my creatures around that are invisible, or out of sight, and each creature can nicely have it's hitpoints and conditions easily tagged, along with the party as well.

Oh the possibilities.

-

Are these the sort of things we will see in a post-release RW?

Last edited by McTaff; November 11th, 2010 at 02:58 AM.
McTaff is offline   #30 Reply With Quote