Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Cards77

Old March 18th, 2019, 06:12 PM
This shouldn't be the case. Nothing is preventing these two archetypes from being used together.
Cards77 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old March 20th, 2019, 01:33 PM
Are you sure it's the combination that's giving the validation error? By RAW, Unchained Monks can't take the Zen Archer archetype because the different way UM does Ki Powers conflicts with ZA.
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Ualaa

Old March 20th, 2019, 03:02 PM
There is an unchained Zen Archer archetype within the Community Package. While it's valid RAW, with your GM's permission it is very possible to do within hero lab.
Ualaa is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old March 20th, 2019, 05:00 PM
Yeah, I'm aware of the community content - I've even used it before for the monk archetypes.

But I don't know if Cards77 is using that content. I can think of no possible reason for two different classes to be causing an exclusion of an archetype for one of those classes. The idea that it's actually the class itself that's invalidating the archetype because it's not valid per RAW just makes more sense to me, so I thought I'd ask about it.
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Cards77

Old March 21st, 2019, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidhc O Casain View Post
Are you sure it's the combination that's giving the validation error? By RAW, Unchained Monks can't take the Zen Archer archetype because the different way UM does Ki Powers conflicts with ZA.
that's not the error that I'm getting in HL.

I'd like to point out that there is a problem here regardless of the ins and outs of RAW, Unchained etc, and it should be easily fixable by the devs.
Attached Images
File Type: png Zen Archer not working.png (206.7 KB, 9 views)
Cards77 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Minous

Old March 21st, 2019, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cards77 View Post
that's not the error that I'm getting in HL.

I'd like to point out that there is a problem here regardless of the ins and outs of RAW, Unchained etc, and it should be easily fixable by the devs.
Can you post the por file?
Minous is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 21st, 2019, 08:46 AM
When I test a blank character, add just a level of Monk (Unchained), and then try to add Zen Archer, I get the error message you're seeing. As Maidhc said, by RAW, the zen archer archetype is not compatible with the Unchained version of the monk, only with a regular monk, because it makes changes to the original's version of how ki powers are arranged. In HL, those changes between the monk versions are noted with the same "replaced" and "modified" tags that archetypes use - it simplifies the process of tracking all those archetypes of monk, barbarian, summoner and rogue to treat the unchained versions, behind the scenes, as things that already have an archetype applied, so that the tracking we had already built to detect archetype conflicts gets applied to tracking conflicts between unchained versions and archetypes of the CRB version, rather than having to manually search for which archetypes are incompatible and write a unique error message for each.
Mathias is online now   #7 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old March 21st, 2019, 09:26 AM
In the community pack there is an option to allow monk archetypes for the Unchained Monk class - sounds like the way to go, Cards.
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Cards77

Old March 21st, 2019, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
When I test a blank character, add just a level of Monk (Unchained), and then try to add Zen Archer, I get the error message you're seeing. As Maidhc said, by RAW, the zen archer archetype is not compatible with the Unchained version of the monk, only with a regular monk, because it makes changes to the original's version of how ki powers are arranged. In HL, those changes between the monk versions are noted with the same "replaced" and "modified" tags that archetypes use - it simplifies the process of tracking all those archetypes of monk, barbarian, summoner and rogue to treat the unchained versions, behind the scenes, as things that already have an archetype applied, so that the tracking we had already built to detect archetype conflicts gets applied to tracking conflicts between unchained versions and archetypes of the CRB version, rather than having to manually search for which archetypes are incompatible and write a unique error message for each.
Thank you for explaining. I see the reason for the error message but not a reason why the error should exist.

There shouldn't be a problem unless you're taking Monk AND UM. Which I am not.

I have only Inquisitor Ravener Hunter, and TRYING to take Zen Archer.

However, for this build I DO need ZA to apply to UM.

Any thoughts?

Any way to house rule this?
Cards77 is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Cards77

Old March 21st, 2019, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidhc O Casain View Post
In the community pack there is an option to allow monk archetypes for the Unchained Monk class - sounds like the way to go, Cards.
Ah ok thank you! I hate to ask yet another dumb question but where does this option live?

**EDIT** Think I found it thank you. New install haven't played with the community packs for some years.

Last edited by Cards77; March 21st, 2019 at 09:38 AM.
Cards77 is offline   #10 Reply With Quote