Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Faerie

Old May 1st, 2016, 02:38 AM
As I said, I can see the uses. I'm not using it that way, but I can see how handy it would be. Sometimes the boxed text is hard to read. Or there's some obscure rule/item that doesn't come up often that's detailed... six pages back from when it crops up. Or the stats on the npcs you need Right Now are spread across five pages, or at the back of the scenario. Or you realize you've been using the wrong stat block because the party's 3-4 and you're using the 6-7 statblock which was right next to the one you need. Or you're hunting down the DC of a skill check, trap, or other hazard.
Faerie is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Mystic Lemur

Old May 2nd, 2016, 06:41 AM
It would be great if you tend to run the same scenario more than once. It would also be good if you're asked to run a scenario without much warning. I think it would really shine on sanctioned modules, where the effort to prep before hand can really cut down on the time it takes to run the adventure.
Mystic Lemur is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Dhrakken

Old May 4th, 2016, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
You would take the scenario and copy it into RW. Story, maps, npc's, monsters, everything. Then instead of reading the module as you DM, you use RW in it's place. Everything becomes linked and must easier to jump around to the information you required.

Personally I would suggest getting both HL and RW and use HL to manage the combat.

Have a read of the link below where I discuss some of the reasons why i now user these two applications in place of physical books.

http://downunderdm.blogspot.com.au/2...-why-i-no.html
I read your article here, and thought it quite interesting. One thing you mentioned is that you loaded the manuals in realm works.... that seems quite daunting... how difficult was this to do? I can't imagine copy/pasting each and every paragraph from a PDF, especially considering the inherent issues with PDF's from a copy/paste perspective.
Dhrakken is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Pilgrim

Old May 4th, 2016, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhrakken View Post
I read your article here, and thought it quite interesting. One thing you mentioned is that you loaded the manuals in realm works.... that seems quite daunting... how difficult was this to do? I can't imagine copy/pasting each and every paragraph from a PDF, especially considering the inherent issues with PDF's from a copy/paste perspective.
yeah, I am wondering about that as well. I am thinking that you can still run the game from the pdf, but if you have a laptop or if you are running online games, it can be easy to quickly grab the info from realm works and see what you need to know.

What would be cool if it is going to share the files from realm works then with other PFS players so that they can share that for their own use

Last edited by Pilgrim; May 4th, 2016 at 02:01 PM.
Pilgrim is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old May 4th, 2016, 02:42 PM
It certainly wasn't a quick task and it will take some time to enter them completely and clean up the formatting. I find however that it speeds the game up by giving me links to all the necessary rules from where ever they are referenced or if a query comes up in game about an obscure rule I can open up the mechanics section and a quick search pulls it up.

The entirety of the books is not required but there are certainly parts I considered vital. The spells from the MM for example.
daplunk is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Faerie

Old May 6th, 2016, 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Yeah, they are, only the PFS scenarios run close to 5hrs (and modules even longer). I will get Realm Works and see how easy it is to combine and what you can do with it, seeing as I have some modules / scenarios available.

What is the Content market? I have seen it mentioned a few times but no idea what it is

Well, usually run 5 hours. SOmetimes less, sometimes more. It depends on the scenario, the group, and just how long the party gets hung up on something. For example in Fathless and Forgotten my PFS lodge got completely hung up on one room for an hour. As players we knew what was going on. But we kept botching our will saves A couple people got seriously beaten up and the barbarian used almost all her Rage in one room. GM was laughing so hard. Then again, so were we.
Faerie is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Gord

Old May 7th, 2016, 02:41 PM
Nice article. I couldn't argue with much in it at all.
Gord is offline   #17 Reply With Quote