Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

ich.pdf

Old April 25th, 2016, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
How many of you buy RW, HL, or VTT licenses for your players?
Well, I don't. :-D I am thinking about purchasing a number of player editions for RW, but in my group I can be absolutely sure that no one would steal my accounts. Well, I think in any group this should be the case, but whatever. But on the other hand, I am waiting for the web version to compare functionality first. Anyway, realm works is the software I would even buy for my players because it means even more fun for me as a GM. My campaigns can be a lot deeper, more scheming when players are able to look things up and take their own notes. I don't think it's egoistic to make my own fun the limiting factor for my expenses. I just spent a hundred bucks for RW and HL Shadowrun licenses, so... :-D

That is why I keep recommending to buy RW player edition or even GM edition, as one of my players is a GM himself for another system. Maybe they will do so, maybe not. I think ones the story gets more and more complicated, they will want to have their own player edition.

For HL, I don't see the need to buy them licenses or even keys to my license. I have a printer. I can print their characters for them, one each session if they want, no problem. Plus, it adds to the pen & paper feeling to actually use pen & paper instead of having everyone hide behind a screen. I as a GM can keep track of everything, I have to anyway because I manage combat with HL. And if they want to use Herolab to create characters as spare or just for fun, they will either have to buy Herolab themselves or come an hour early before a game session starts. I always offer that to give them the opportunity to tweak their characters without being under pressure because everyone is waiting. So, they are free to take some notes at home and enter them into my herolab version to validate them and play around a bit with different builds.

I stopped using VTTs, mainly because I don't feel there is a convenient one for Shadowrun. They all require a lot of custom texturing or whatever and that takes away from my time to actually prep a session and built an interesting world. Althoug I have to admit that I really regard with envy some users and their virtual battle map monitors. Magnificent! :-D
But for my purposes, a white board is absolutely sufficient at the time and it actually increases immersion of the players because they need to make more use of that thing called imagination ;-)
ich.pdf is offline   #11 Reply With Quote