Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - User Projects

Notices

PaleHorse42

Old December 8th, 2019, 05:30 PM
Salutations!

So, I've used the HeroLab program to help run my Pathfinder games before, and finally decided to grab the data set for 7th Sea: 2nd Edition.

And if you're familiar with HeroLab and 7th Sea's relationship status, you already know it's “complicated.” It does not (and likely will never) have future support, nor do they really publicize who you can go to for help.

By the way, no, I am not making these data sets for distribution. (Unless Chaosium wants to buy'em!)

Luckily, even for terrible-at-programming-a-VCR folk, 7th Sea is not terribly complicated when it comes to mechanics and most stuff on HeroLab is fairly intuitive. I've added pretty much everything from the released books at a basic level (new Backgrounds, Advantages, Duelist Styles, Nations, etc.) in a user file.

And now I've come to the part where I have definite snags and not quite sure where to get the advice (so you may see this cross-posted across some forums). If you got some clues, lay them on me.

Problems:

1. Background with specific Dueling Styles.

The original core rules did not contain Backgrounds that granted you a specific Duelist Style. However, the newer books do occasionally, such as the Jaragua Background: Enspekte in Pirate Nations. I know I can bootstrap Duelist Academy Advantage onto a Background easily, but if I directly bootsrap a Duelist Style it still leaves the Style you get to choose according the Advantage available, thus letting player buy a second Style.

How can I fix this?

2. Dueling Maneuvers

This one is probably easy to fix but tedious. While you get the Advantage mechanics and Style mechanics printed on your sheet and easily accessible, it does not give you quick summaries of the actual dueling maneuvers. Which, honestly, is critical during play.

I don't really know how to create new “thing,” though. It should be east to create the Maneuvers as something attached to the styles that would print and be readily available in the special tab.

This is even more important since Heroes & Villains brought out the Advantage: Student of Combat.

3. Sorcery

I have a configurable and an Advantage for each Sorcery dummied up. Honestly, this might not be too difficult as I can duplicate and rename down the line for most from previous Sorcery entries, and the help file's Sorcery advice is the only part I *think* I understand.

However, there is a big roadblock for the Crescent sorceries. Most of them have an either/or component split between Nation and Faith. “You can practice this Sorcery if you are either from this Nation or have this Faith” kind of thing. I'm not sure how to create such a conditional in the Advantage.
PaleHorse42 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Dukeroyal

Old January 5th, 2020, 02:42 PM
I'm currently working on entering Kav Sepi. How did you set that up? Did you list each Lwa as a custom ability? How did you get the program to create a table where you could select options?
Dukeroyal is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Dukeroyal

Old January 7th, 2020, 03:11 PM
I figured out everything I asked you about.
Dukeroyal is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Dukeroyal

Old January 7th, 2020, 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHorse42 View Post

Problems:

1. Background with specific Dueling Styles.

The original core rules did not contain Backgrounds that granted you a specific Duelist Style. However, the newer books do occasionally, such as the Jaragua Background: Enspekte in Pirate Nations. I know I can bootstrap Duelist Academy Advantage onto a Background easily, but if I directly bootsrap a Duelist Style it still leaves the Style you get to choose according the Advantage available, thus letting player buy a second Style.

How can I fix this?
So far the only solution I've found is to make a note in the background that the player must take Jogo de Dentro as the duelist academy choice as part of the background description text for Company Escapee. I also made the same note under Enspekte. I had created an individual advantage for Jogo de Dentro but deleted it.

Quote:
2. Dueling Maneuvers

This one is probably easy to fix but tedious. While you get the Advantage mechanics and Style mechanics printed on your sheet and easily accessible, it does not give you quick summaries of the actual dueling maneuvers. Which, honestly, is critical during play.

I don't really know how to create new “thing,” though. It should be east to create the Maneuvers as something attached to the styles that would print and be readily available in the special tab.

This is even more important since Heroes & Villains brought out the Advantage: Student of Combat.
No idea yet.

Quote:
3. Sorcery

I have a configurable and an Advantage for each Sorcery dummied up. Honestly, this might not be too difficult as I can duplicate and rename down the line for most from previous Sorcery entries, and the help file's Sorcery advice is the only part I *think* I understand.

However, there is a big roadblock for the Crescent sorceries. Most of them have an either/or component split between Nation and Faith. “You can practice this Sorcery if you are either from this Nation or have this Faith” kind of thing. I'm not sure how to create such a conditional in the Advantage.
I haven't gotten that far yet, I'm still working on Pirate Nations.

I do have a question though since I am not a coder or programmer. How do I get things to show up only if I select a higher priority item. For example under Kave Sepi how do I only get each Lwa's powers to only be available if I choose that paticular Lwa?
Dukeroyal is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
PaleHorse42

Old January 22nd, 2020, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeroyal View Post
I'm currently working on entering Kav Sepi. How did you set that up? Did you list each Lwa as a custom ability? How did you get the program to create a table where you could select options?
For the moment all the new sorceries are just renamed copies of a random old sorcery so they have the correct components for being bought as Advantages or gained through Backgrounds. Working on them further has been put on a backburner for now.
PaleHorse42 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
PaleHorse42

Old January 22nd, 2020, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeroyal View Post
I do have a question though since I am not a coder or programmer. How do I get things to show up only if I select a higher priority item. For example under Kave Sepi how do I only get each Lwa's powers to only be available if I choose that paticular Lwa?
I'm no programmer or coder either. I figure, though, that modeling after Glamour magic is the most apt guide. And if you want to chat and show me how you got the Sorcery worked out, I'd like to know.

No sharing data sets, of course. I'm in no mood for a cease and desist.
PaleHorse42 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Dukeroyal

Old March 27th, 2020, 10:14 AM
I've had to put 7th Sea on the back burner for a bit. I'm hoping to restart soon. When I do I will let you know and we can chat then.
Dukeroyal is offline   #7 Reply With Quote