Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

voydangel

Old January 12th, 2015, 11:10 PM
Every time there is a new version of hero lab (like the latest 6.1f), I try to use the built in updater, but it fails. Every time. With the same error message (attached), and the same results. Every. Time.

I have tried to click each of the buttons (retry, ignore, and abort). Retry does nothing at all except pop up the same error message, and both ignore and abort result in the same problem: The file (HeroLab.exe) can no longer be found. So then the only way to fix hero lab is to completely uninstall it, and reinstall it.

Can someone help please? I would really like to be able to just update hero lab, rather than every time there's an update, having to uninstall, go download the newest version, install it, re-authorize it, and then restart the program.

It's getting really really old and insanely frustrating.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (159.4 KB, 18 views)
voydangel is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Fuzzy

Old January 13th, 2015, 04:19 AM
Looks like its a file permissions issue. Uninstall, then go in and make sure the Program Files (x86)\Hero Lab folder is completely removed. Then reinstall, and hopefully it will fix the permissions on the file/folder.
Fuzzy is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old January 13th, 2015, 04:52 AM
Fuzzy maybe indeed right, but if you want to remove all the OS crap all together, do not install Herolab into the program files directory, create a new "apps" directory on C then install it to there.

I have had to do this many times for older apps, pre Vista era on Vista. Program Files is a different animal with the OS level protection, though I have had zero issues myself with Herolab installed there, it may be an idea for you to try.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Fuzzy

Old January 13th, 2015, 08:24 AM
while correct, it can cause problems for older apps, hero lab fully supports the proper installation mechanics - something else here has apparently interfered.
Fuzzy is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 13th, 2015, 10:14 AM
I am with Fuzzy that its an OS authority issue. Long ago HL didn't install to the correct folders in windows and it had authority issues. So my install still has HL in a c:\games folder. But I have not heard of any authority issues in many many years sense HL went to following window folder installs.

Something that use to be an issue is a person would install with Admin user profile and then try and run the program using a profile with very little authority. That use to cause issues like the OP has.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 15th, 2015, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
I am with Fuzzy that its an OS authority issue. Long ago HL didn't install to the correct folders in windows and it had authority issues. So my install still has HL in a c:\games folder. But I have not heard of any authority issues in many many years sense HL went to following window folder installs.

Something that use to be an issue is a person would install with Admin user profile and then try and run the program using a profile with very little authority. That use to cause issues like the OP has.
At a first guess, that's exactly what I'd suspect is happening here. voydangel, please email us at support@wolflair.com referencing this thread, and we'll look into the problem. We definitely don't want you to have to uninstall before installing every new version!
Colen is offline   #6 Reply With Quote