Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds

Notices

Paragon

Old August 29th, 2015, 11:22 AM
For what its worth, I'd be astonished if you'd done better with Metacreator; at least people know what HeroLab is most of the time. I do think its unfortunate (if understandable) that those of us over on the Savage Worlds end seem to get pretty low priority over Pathfinder.
Paragon is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old August 29th, 2015, 11:39 AM
Most of LW time is put into Realm Works. I kickstarted that, too. I was also in on the Wild Card Creator kickstarter. I was unsatisfied with both. I have found that Evernote does what I wanted Realm Works to do. And it is free. The "fog of war" is neat but with it requiring that we pay for a cloud service makes me not bother. There are many neat ideas in both of those programs, though.

My brother keeps pressuring me to write my own. I talked to Pinnacle about it and since they already have some official programs (which do not do what I want to do) they are not willing, at least at this time, to give the OK on an yet another character generator. There are what, 3 or 4? That means that I can't distribute it will full data descriptions. At least not to the general public. I plan to have a file that it looks for, if you have it you get the full details, if you don't you get the trimmed version.

Anyway, Pinnacle suggested that I help make Hero Lab better. Which I have tried to do, but that is frustrating when I feel like the company could care less.

If I ever do work on my own program (again, the time issue), since it is a free fan-program that I will only share with specific people -- my gaming group and people that help me work on it -- I can make it do everything that I want it do and be my own approval process. I won't get paid, but at least I will have a program that does everything that I want it to do. I am going to write it in C# and make use of the dot net framework. I understand that porting it to other OS is possible. I will make one or more of my brothers help me when (if, but more likely when) I get stuck. All three are C# developers.

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
jbearwillis

Old August 29th, 2015, 11:50 AM
I agree with Paragon. When I started the High Space Data files, it was a long process. I really had to think out side the box to get everything to work. The starship file was really fun to try and get to work the way I did. That one was way outside the box. Data file authors do all this for free because we love the game and wish to share with the community. It might be mean to say, but to complain because something isn't in Hero Lab that you will get for free anyway. Is a bit selfish. If you want it, then learn as we all did to work in the editor. Zarlor and I, back in the day were the only ones on this forum and went through hell trying to get help. A lot has changed since those times. LOL, there are a lot more people willing to help here now. A lot of great people with great ideas on how to code something. A shout out to all community of coders that has stepped up. Great work fellows, Great work. So to end this rant: Please do not be part of the Y generation (Why isn't it here, Why is it taking so long, etc...). Please be part of the solution and help the community and not complain. Ask what you can do to help.

Thank You.
jbearwillis is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old August 29th, 2015, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeleyOne View Post
[snip]I am going to write it in C# and make use of the dot net framework. I understand that porting it to other OS is possible. I will make one or more of my brothers help me when (if, but more likely when) I get stuck. All three are C# developers.
The only thing I would suggest for portability is to NOT use dot net. Programs that use it are very hit or miss on Linux.

As for the "complaints" jbear mentioned, I read them more as criticisms. Many of them well founded that I think need to be aired every now and again to maybe, hopefully, possibly prod LoneWolf into remembering this community does exist and that we have, and will, pay for this product for Savage Worlds functionality even though we think they could really do a lot better job of it than they have been.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
jbearwillis

Old August 29th, 2015, 06:11 PM
Well it is what it is, Lone Wolf is a business and they have to put more in to what will make them more money and what will pay the bills with the most return, Even if they would like to treat all games systems with the same treatment, it isn't really possible with the small crew they have and that there is the dilemma. Yes, if they worked really dang hard they could do a better job but at what cost, burning out the talent they have. Company's have to make money and truth be told, we all know that the other games, mainly Pathfinder and Shadowrun a far second makes them the most money and pays the bills. Zarlor we have had these talks way back in the day and it got better for a little while but as time tells, it reverts back to the bad old days and that will never really change. Part of why I have given up on checking in to often anymore on the Savage World forums. Which is sad because I love Savage Worlds.
jbearwillis is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old August 29th, 2015, 06:41 PM
And we certainly miss you here when you're not checking in, jbear. No matter what, though, I'm a definite Savage Worlds, and Pinnacle, fanboy, so even though I might not be all that happy with Lone Wolf or Hero Lab at times it's worth the effort for me to support Shane and Clint and Jodi and the rest of the folks over at Pinnacle.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
jbearwillis

Old August 29th, 2015, 06:56 PM
zarlor, I agree whole hardheartedly with what you say.

Peace out brother, "Stay Savage zarlor - Stay Savage"

Changed quote from the Outsiders - LOL
jbearwillis is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old August 30th, 2015, 06:49 AM
Yeah, you just do what you can do. I've certainly found you guys enormously helpful in my SW work here, and learning to use the Editor in general, so a big thumbs up to all of you.
Paragon is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
dartnet
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 30th, 2015, 08:03 AM
I have a question.

Has anyone started on Lankhmar, or the 6th Gun?
dartnet is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old August 30th, 2015, 09:53 AM
I have not. A lack of motivation recently and an OS swap threw a few wrenches into my data file work, plus no particular interest in those particular settings (and that if it's just going to take over a year to review them anyway) have all conspired to leave me not particularly wanting to work on them right now. I'm also interested in seeing what changes we get to core to go along with SFC and SPC2.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #20 Reply With Quote