Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

Golkiwu

Old February 2nd, 2011, 04:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
Just use class abilities, and set them as activatable. Create a user tag for them, and if they're activated, assign that tag to the hero. Then, in an evalrule, if they're activated, count the number of times that tag has been assigned to the hero - if it's more than one, then that's an error.
Is that something I would input in the Class tab as a Custom Ability, or under the Custom Ability Tab in the editor? And if it is under the Custom Ablity Tab, will it be assigned only to the Sword Sage? I am looking through these, and as it is my first time attempting this level of customization, I am slow to find the proper paths.

My main handicap is that I am looking for these things as you have labeled them in your posts, and I am not seeing them. When you say "Class Abilities" are you referring to the "Custom Abilities" in the Class tab? If so, I am a little lost as to how to use the Custom Ability count part. I really do not know what that does except maybe indicate a progression through levels. I apologise for my profound ignorance on this, but I can say that once I understand how something works, I am a fast study! Also, I am looking through the editor help, slow but steady.

That's Homunculus!

Last edited by Golkiwu; February 2nd, 2011 at 06:27 AM.
Golkiwu is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Golkiwu

Old February 2nd, 2011, 07:19 AM
OK, here is what I have gotten so far. I created the Sword Sage Class.

I created custom abilities in the class tab, and named it Stances Known.

I created a Custom Ability (tab) named Island of Blades (stance).

I can select it in HL, and it shows I can have up to 6 stances (I only have one created). But I do not understand how to make it selectable/changeable. Sword Sage only has one Stance active at one time, but can change as a swift action. How/where do I make this selectable?

That's Homunculus!
Golkiwu is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Golkiwu

Old February 2nd, 2011, 07:53 AM
Working on the psionics to be maneuvers, I am having an issue with creating a tag so that there is a new selectable discipline. When I create a new tag and compile it, it throws an error that it is not defined. It seems I am just compiling more vacuous questions.

That's Homunculus!
Golkiwu is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 2nd, 2011, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golkiwu View Post
I can select it in HL, and it shows I can have up to 6 stances (I only have one created). But I do not understand how to make it selectable/changeable. Sword Sage only has one Stance active at one time, but can change as a swift action. How/where do I make this selectable?
On the stance, check the "Show In Charges List?" option, then enter "Active" in the "Charge Effect 1" box below it.

Go to the second to the last option, "User Tags", and defne a new tag. I'd recommend something like "To9SStance" as the Id and "Stance" as the name.

Now, up and to the right, find the "Eval Rule" button, click it, and click to add a new Eval Rule.

Phase: Post-Levels, priority: 10000, message: "You may only have a single stance active at a time"

Script:
Code:

~ If we're not shown, just get out now
validif (tagis[Helper.ShowSpec] = 0)

~ If we're activated, assign a tag to the hero to announce that there's
~ an active stance
if (field[hIsOn1].value <> 0) then
  perform hero.assign[User.To9SStance]

~later on, if you want to apply any effects from the stances, like AC
  ~modifiers or attack modifiers, place them here

~now, count the number of those tags that are on the hero
  ~we're valid if there's one or less
  validif (hero.tagcount[User.To9SStance] <= 1)

~if we're not active, then there's no need to report an error
else
  @valid = 1
  endif
You can make the rest of your stances by copying this one, so that all those settings will be retained.

The user will turn them on or off on the In-Play tab.
Mathias is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 2nd, 2011, 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golkiwu View Post
Working on the psionics to be maneuvers, I am having an issue with creating a tag so that there is a new selectable discipline. When I create a new tag and compile it, it throws an error that it is not defined. It seems I am just compiling more vacuous questions.
Could you give me the series of steps you went through?

I just tried creating a new class, and for "Uses Which Powers" and "Psionics Discipline Tag", was able to create a new tag without encountering any errors.
Mathias is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Golkiwu

Old February 2nd, 2011, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
On the stance, check the "Show In Charges List?" option, then enter "Active" in the "Charge Effect 1" box below it.

Go to the second to the last option, "User Tags", and defne a new tag. I'd recommend something like "To9SStance" as the Id and "Stance" as the name.

Now, up and to the right, find the "Eval Rule" button, click it, and click to add a new Eval Rule.

Phase: Post-Levels, priority: 10000, message: "You may only have a single stance active at a time"

Script:
Code:

~ If we're not shown, just get out now
validif (tagis[Helper.ShowSpec] = 0)

~ If we're activated, assign a tag to the hero to announce that there's
~ an active stance
if (field[hIsOn1].value <> 0) then
  perform hero.assign[User.To9SStance]

~later on, if you want to apply any effects from the stances, like AC
  ~modifiers or attack modifiers, place them here

~now, count the number of those tags that are on the hero
  ~we're valid if there's one or less
  validif (hero.tagcount[User.To9SStance] <= 1)

~if we're not active, then there's no need to report an error
else
  @valid = 1
  endif
You can make the rest of your stances by copying this one, so that all those settings will be retained.

The user will turn them on or off on the In-Play tab.
Ok
That worked. In the coding where it is saying
"~later on, if you want to apply any effects from the stances, like AC
~modifiers or attack modifiers, place them here"

Is that where I will add script to give said effects on copied (new)Stances?
If so, should I search other Eval rules or scripts for proper script wording, as I am unfamiliar with the code lanquage.

As for the psionics Maneuvers, I wanted to have discipline that is exclusive to the Sword Sage (not psychokinetic or other). It has Power Class, Discipline, and Psion Discipline. I wanted to be able to reflect the School for the maneuver (shadow or other school), and power class be for the Sword Sage. I had created a Tag SS_Man for power class in order for it to be selectable under Psionics in the Class Tab. I have Power Level = 1, I created a Tag for the Power Class = SS_Man , and a Psion Discipline named Shadow Level 1 (Tag is Man_Shad1). I get no error with this setup, but I am unsure if I am doing this part correctly. How do I get it to not cost Power Points?

Also, how do I remove a saved Power. I am getting 2 Shadow Blade Techniques due to a mispell on the Unique ID (i accidentally created 2 things that are the same).

That's Homunculus!

Last edited by Golkiwu; February 2nd, 2011 at 10:32 AM.
Golkiwu is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 2nd, 2011, 10:51 AM
Take the Flame's Blessing stance as an example - that "apply effects" section is where you'll look up the number of tumble ranks, and then assign fire resistance based on that.

Personally, I'd recommend that you first concentrate on making sure that the user can properly set up their class - choosing all the stances and maneuvers, etc., before worrying about details like applying effects.

When you do work on that, you'll be looking at the Eval Scripts of existing things - think of something that changes based on how many ranks of a skill you have. Think of something else that grants fire resistance - then make copies of those things and study their scripts to figure out how they do it.

It looks like there's currently a bug in the Discipline selector - it isn't letting you create new disciplines. I'll put that on my to-do list, I think you'll have to ignore that setting for now.

Power Points are probably something else to ignore.
Mathias is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Golkiwu

Old February 2nd, 2011, 01:33 PM
I will take your recommendation.

Thanks so much for your assistance!

That's Homunculus!
Golkiwu is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Golkiwu

Old February 4th, 2011, 05:05 AM
I am making headway on the Stances, but I had a question. Should the Maneuvers be secondary abilities instead of Psionic Powers, or is there something in the mechanics of what they do that serves them better as being built a a Psionic Power?

That's Homunculus!
Golkiwu is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 4th, 2011, 07:56 AM
The psionic powers were just an idea Colen and I had tossed around a while ago for how this might be handled. If you can make it work as custom abilities, go with that. If they work better as psionic powers, go with that.
Mathias is offline   #20 Reply With Quote