Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

jkthomsen9

Old September 18th, 2014, 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz View Post
I'm not Rob, but I'll pipe in. We talked to Paizo at Gen Con as well, and we're still in discussions. However, I'll be honest and say that we can't really share beyond "we're talking with them" until something is or is not signed. We're still optimistic that it will be the former of the two options, but nothing's official until something is signed.
Thank you Liz. Although it is not the response I was hoping for, it is very reasonable. Could you possibly elaborate, based on past experience with Paizo, how long the process is to get the lawyers to agree and sign a contract?
jkthomsen9 is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Romaq

Old September 18th, 2014, 07:17 PM
/me's lower lip quivers with a sigh, and the ferret continues copy + paste from his LEGAL PDF RotRL and plodding along.
Romaq is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old September 19th, 2014, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
I can release the rules as that is bound to OGL and allowed. The adventure itself is not covered by OGL and is 100% copy right protected as IP. So in example the Community Bestiary supplies Encounter Files for an adventure. Really I should not be using the "Real" name of a NPC as that is IP. But its so small its not noticed. And you can't run say RotRL (Rise of the Runelords) adventure from the encounter files I provide.

But RW will be giving away "everything" you would need to run RotRL. That is wrong and theft. No different if you copy/pasted all of the RotRL text from the pdf into a word document and started sharing it with everyone.

With a "license" in place with restrictions then RW maybe allowed to share the adventure stuff.

That is what I understand of stuff at least for Paizo.
That's is how I took it as well, so either we are both wrong or you have validated my thought.

How ever, LWD and Paizo have yet another revenue stream here. Imagine being able to buy the AP from here or Paizo, and being able to "add" the RW component all ready done as an additional download? awesome.

I really hope they go this route for all APs like Kingmaker or RotRL.
Exmortis is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old September 19th, 2014, 12:09 PM
I agree, Exmortis. While I want everything in RW, the formatting of printed adventures allows for easy reading. And to really run an adventure well, you need to have read it and absorbed it. I want the PDF to read and the RW files to modify and run. I don't think there is an either/or anytime soon.
AEIOU is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 19th, 2014, 01:10 PM
On the subject of Pathfinder rulebooks, they definitely will be coming from us for use through Realm Works. A license is already in place for that material.

For adventure content, we're still working through the details. I believe we have a basic agreement in principle and are working through all the niggly bits, but it's likely to take some time and we're still many steps short of having anything inked - so this is anything but a done deal. This is uncharted territory for Paizo (and any other publisher) due to Realm Works being such a major shift in how digital content is delivered, and they are understandably assessing all aspects - and the implications of those aspects - during the process. As such, it's not something for which history can really serve as a good guide.
rob is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 19th, 2014, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
I agree, Exmortis. While I want everything in RW, the formatting of printed adventures allows for easy reading. And to really run an adventure well, you need to have read it and absorbed it. I want the PDF to read and the RW files to modify and run. I don't think there is an either/or anytime soon.
This I agree with also. The AP is formatted for nice reading but not the best layout in RW or running at the game. So I am on the same side where I could see benefits to both the PDF and RW data.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old September 19th, 2014, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
This I agree with also. The AP is formatted for nice reading but not the best layout in RW or running at the game. So I am on the same side where I could see benefits to both the PDF and RW data.
Why not sell them both together through LWD at a slightly higher price then other places that sell just the PDF's?
Viking2054 is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old September 19th, 2014, 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking2054 View Post
Why not sell them both together through LWD at a slightly higher price then other places that sell just the PDF's?
Probably for the same reason they don't do that with Hero Lab. (The Advanced Class Guide PDF and the Hero Lab ACG add-on both cost $10.)

Parody is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old September 20th, 2014, 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
Probably for the same reason they don't do that with Hero Lab. (The Advanced Class Guide PDF and the Hero Lab ACG add-on both cost $10.)
It may eventually get there, but that is likely years out if at all. RealmWorks is intended as a new medium, an additional option with Print and PDF... but it will take time to be accepted, and it may be hard for publishing houses to put resources into creating the files until it is.

PDFs for direct sale can be made from the same source files as the PDFs used for the print books (though they are *not* the same PDFs). RealmWorks is not like that.. the organization is different.. so there would be significant additional work required to create RealmWorks Realms for published products. That's a cost that would need to be recovered in the price of the product. So there's a lot that would go into making such decisions, and there would need to be a large enough population of people using RealmWorks for it to be worth the publishers' efforts to do it.
Silveras is online now   #19 Reply With Quote
jkthomsen9

Old September 20th, 2014, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
On the subject of Pathfinder rulebooks, they definitely will be coming from us for use through Realm Works. A license is already in place for that material.

For adventure content, we're still working through the details. I believe we have a basic agreement in principle and are working through all the niggly bits, but it's likely to take some time and we're still many steps short of having anything inked - so this is anything but a done deal. This is uncharted territory for Paizo (and any other publisher) due to Realm Works being such a major shift in how digital content is delivered, and they are understandably assessing all aspects - and the implications of those aspects - during the process. As such, it's not something for which history can really serve as a good guide.
Well damn you Rob for being so innovative. I love the way you guys think outside the box. We will have to wait and see if Lisa Stevens can see the huge pile of money at the end of this. Just remind her of her own words "If you give your customer a product they want, they will reward you with money."
jkthomsen9 is offline   #20 Reply With Quote