Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

Greebo

Old August 9th, 2019, 02:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_redbeard View Post
I must be the exception. I've made my own game session category, separate from the provided tool. Each session I make a new topic, and order them with a prefix. I record which characters were there, the real world date of the session, and the (numerical) start and end in-game days. Then I take notes in snippets during the session, and I can choose if the notes are player info or DM info. It's all linked, so I can easily find a record of interactions with an NPC or when an item was found, etc.

Since I run a sandbox without a pre-scripted story, I may be an atypical RW user. But it's fantastic for a game heavy on faction interaction and where the past sessions influence the next.
Same here. I log sessions both for the players reference and my own with a custom made topic category.

Supporting Calendar Campaigner

Tools: Realm Works, Campaign Cartographer 3+ and Add-ons, MapTools
Games: home brew world, Lord of the Rings (CODA), Shadowrun, Earthdawn
Greebo is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old August 9th, 2019, 02:15 AM
Surprise? PF2's release date was announced over a year ago.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
Conandy

Old August 9th, 2019, 08:18 AM
Who wants to join forces and buy the IP for RW from LWD so we can turn it into the game changer it should be? Since it apparently isn't a money maker, we should be able to purchase it cheap.
Conandy is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old August 9th, 2019, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conandy View Post
Who wants to join forces and buy the IP for RW from LWD so we can turn it into the game changer it should be? Since it apparently isn't a money maker, we should be able to purchase it cheap.
The dev license cost for DevExpress might be expensive.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Greebo

Old August 9th, 2019, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Sounds like an idea, even though I am no software dev.

Greebo is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old August 9th, 2019, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
From BJ

Quote:
We aren't being quiet because we're hiding anything, we're being quiet because there is just absolutely nothing to report on the RW front beyond some PF1 society releases that released as I was heading to Gen Con and the already announced server time being available to purchase.

Realm Works is our passion project, but currently, we need to focus on the products that pay the bills. With the surprise of PF2 coming out and needing to get it all into place before PF1 sales drop off entirely we had to pull pretty much everyone off other teams to ensure it was even remotely close to done on time. We are still supporting Realm Works and have every intention of continuing to do so but at the end of the day we are a business and we have to make sure we take the steps to ensure all our products, Realm Works included, continue to be available for many years to come. Once things calm down, we hope to be able to reassign people back to working on Realm Works again and get fixes and new systems in place.
The problem is, there will always be enough to work on for their "money making" software that RW will get minimal (if any) time. Look at the history of HLC and PF1 - Paizo cranks out new material at such a rapid pace that LoneWolf struggled to "fully implement" many of the rules, because they were so busy partially implementing every new book that came out.

The Content Market was supposed to be the way RW makes money, but with such a limited selection it ain't gonna make much...
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old August 9th, 2019, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
Surprise? PF2's release date was announced over a year ago.
They may have been surprised by the Playtest announcement just like we were, about four months before Gen Con 2018. Between then and the holiday/end of year break they'd be focused on implementing and keeping up with the Playtest rules. There'd be a pause at the start of 2019, perhaps just enough time to finally launch the Content Market, and then full-bore on PF2 again once Paizo had the rules finalized.

Even if LWD got word before the announcement, it probably wouldn't have been too much earlier.

Quote:
I doubt they'd sell (it seems like a passion project for Rob) but you never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
The dev license cost for DevExpress might be expensive.
Their website says the base cost is between $1,000 and $2,200 per year per developer on the project.

Last edited by Parody; August 9th, 2019 at 12:56 PM.
Parody is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
Greebo

Old August 10th, 2019, 05:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidhc O Casain View Post
The problem is, there will always be enough to work on for their "money making" software that RW will get minimal (if any) time. Look at the history of HLC and PF1 - Paizo cranks out new material at such a rapid pace that LoneWolf struggled to "fully implement" many of the rules, because they were so busy partially implementing every new book that came out.

The Content Market was supposed to be the way RW makes money, but with such a limited selection it ain't gonna make much...
Exactly.

I fully understand the need to make money and to prioritize accordingly. But, in my humble opinion, there will always be enough Paizo related work around to have an excuse to neglect RW proper. as well as other potential products for the Content Market.
And, I for one do not play Pathfinder, which means, I will not spend money on it.

Besides, we were promised regular updates, even if there was more or less nothing to report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post

I doubt they'd sell (it seems like a passion project for Rob) but you never know.
Maybe it is time for another Kickstarter to collect funds to pay for another dev, who can focus on RW and RW alone.

Greebo is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old August 10th, 2019, 05:59 AM
So much for the previously solid and constant assurances of nothing being slowed down because of separate teams.
EightBitz is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
BJ
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 10th, 2019, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greebo View Post
Exactly.

Besides, we were promised regular updates, even if there was more or less nothing to report.

Maybe it is time for another Kickstarter to collect funds to pay for another dev, who can focus on RW and RW alone.
My apologies for the confusion! The promise of regular weekly updates even when we had nothing to report was for the completion of the Kickstarter and getting the Content Market out, not for the remaining life of the product. I absolutely will continue to give updates when we have new items relating to the product to share and am excited to continue to do so. The best place to look for those is in our newsletter and various other locations where we communicate, such as here or social media.

As much as we would love to hire on a new dev to replace those we've lost, it's unlikely we will do another Kickstarter for RW anytime in the near future, too many things can potentially go wrong and we don't want to put that on our consumers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
So much for the previously solid and constant assurances of nothing being slowed down because of separate teams.
That was our promise to KS backers as we pushed to complete the Content Market for our KS obligations, which we've completed. I also promised the truth, I sadly can't always make that truth what everyone hopes it to be. Currently, we are focused on the future health and longevity of our business as a whole. While I do understand that may not be what you would wish, it is the path we as a company must take to ensure future support for all our products, Realm Works included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evildmguy View Post
Yes to what @Conandy said, for the most part.

My own experience has been that I only check back every six months to a year to see any updates. Part of the problem was expectations but my own realization of my style. In the end, I need something that lets me put in ideas and notes as I'm gaming, not a system that seems to require all data entered into it and during a session, I just click to reveal things.

64bit helped and it's faster. It's still not at a level where pen and paper is faster for me. It might never be? I don't know. or it needs a whole new area for notes that I can type as I game, like a scratch pad, to put someplace later? Or the ability to record and convert to text? Or something?
A dedicated section just for in game note taking sounds great! I'll add it to our list of potential ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evildmguy View Post

I think I was also really excited for the content market to have a lot of little one shot freebies, like an Inn or other buildings, including something that I could contribute to, over time but it seems like that's not the case, either. Or it's just that extra step of work.

Ah, well.
Rob and I both agree that small items in the Content Market such as buildings, inns, and one-shot dungeons would be a great addition. We have a few ideas on how to make this happen once we get back on that track.

We are still supporting Realm Works and have every intention of continuing to do so. Once things calm down, we hope to be able to assign people back to working on Realm Works full time again. The only thing close we have to a roadmap at this juncture is the intention to eventually add newer systems to the program and exterminate the bugs scampering around inside.
BJ is offline   #30 Reply With Quote