Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

AndrewD2

Old April 9th, 2016, 08:30 AM
How many are we supposed to have? I'm suddenly getting 10 core.hlz files (core.hlz, coreX.hlz where X = 2 - 10) plus the typical data.hlz and lang.hlz

This is in the pathfinder system currently, as it's the only one I notice this effect. All my other systems (shadowrun5, wod, savage worlds, 4e, and anything I've made in the authoring kit) only have a single core.hlz

I used to get multiple showing up when I'd test some stuff in really fast succession, and I'd delete the extra numbered ones and they wouldn't come back for a while, now there's always 10.
AndrewD2 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 9th, 2016, 08:43 AM
I have the same thing. My guess is that this is related to the latest HL.exe change that allows HL to reference Thing ID's from a license you do not have. In example if you bootstrap a feat from the APG to a new class in .user file and give it to a friend who has no APG license that .user file now load.

When a character is built using that new class the Feat shows is read with a nice message about 'Missing APG license.' I am assuming this ability required all these additional core files.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
AndrewD2

Old April 9th, 2016, 08:48 AM
Very well might. Just comes as a shock with how big the PF folder can get when you're running from an SSD.
AndrewD2 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old April 9th, 2016, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewD2 View Post
Very well might. Just comes as a shock with how big the PF folder can get when you're running from an SSD.
Thats why god invented BIGGER SSD's.

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
AndrewD2

Old April 9th, 2016, 08:55 AM
I've got a 512 ... it's still down to about 90GB and PF is almost 500MB and I have one copy for each publisher I do contracting work for (so around 7 copies of Pathfinder counting the copy I use for play). Adds up.
AndrewD2 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
AndrewD2

Old April 9th, 2016, 08:57 AM
Also I make very little money ... that 1TB SSD I need for my upgrade is like more than I make in a month. (It's amazing how few entry level programming jobs I can find with companies interested in helping the newbie get some confidence, they want everything top level without you needing any help or showing how certain things work ... makes me sad).
AndrewD2 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old April 9th, 2016, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Also I make very little money ... that 1TB SSD I need for my upgrade is like more than I make in a month.
Yeah bad joke. But yeah SSD drives are not cheap. Only thing I can say is make sure you delete that "importbackup" folder HL makes each time you install a new version. That should give back some space.

Quote:
(It's amazing how few entry level programming jobs I can find with companies interested in helping the newbie get some confidence, they want everything top level without you needing any help or showing how certain things work ... makes me sad).
Yep. They want LOTs of experience but refuse to hire people to let them "get" that experience. I tried really hard during the last job higher for my area to get the younger, less experienced, but more energetic programmer hired. The director over rode me and hired the older more "experienced" guy. Yes this new guy has lots of experience at leaving at 4pm every day and not any interest in learning anything new. "Damn young kids and there object oriented coding!". Seriously dude its NOT NEW! Sigh....

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
AndrewD2

Old April 9th, 2016, 09:30 AM
Yep, and I have a fairly limited area that I can travel for a job (about 45 min North, East, or South ... West is a big lake). I've had my CS degree for about 5 years now and all my paid work is either randomly fixing people's computers or Hero Lab stuff for publishers, and sadly that's such a niche market it doesn't really pay a lot in the end for contracts.
AndrewD2 is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old April 9th, 2016, 10:09 AM
This is unfortunately a broader problem; everyone wants experienced people in their field, but wants other people to train them, or if they're willing to train, only as unpaid interns. Its going to cause a progressive problem over time, I think.
Paragon is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
AndrewD2

Old April 9th, 2016, 10:19 AM
I'm sadly at the point that I'd take unpaid internships if they'd actually teach. I do miss the old Apprentice/Journeyman/Master system (which is still used in some fields).
AndrewD2 is offline   #10 Reply With Quote