Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

MNBlockHead

Old November 2nd, 2016, 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropbear8mybaby View Post
Yeah, so easy and accessible.
It would be nice if the content market also supported HeroLab content, including custom character sheets.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
dropbear8mybaby

Old November 2nd, 2016, 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
It would be nice if the content market also supported HeroLab content, including custom character sheets.
Is that within the realm of possibility? I mean legally speaking? 'cause if so, that's certainly a product I'd consider paying for. Although, it'd have to be a pretty stellar sheet to warrant paying for it. It'd have to be significantly better than Lone Wolf's option.
dropbear8mybaby is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old November 3rd, 2016, 11:28 AM
I don't know if it is planned, and I'm pretty sure it would not be available when the CM is first released. But I would think it would be in LWD's interest to sell as much content as they can. Like you would happily pay for custom character sheets. Not a lot—the defaults are okay—but I like to have options.

MNBlockHead is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old November 4th, 2016, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
I don't know if it is planned, and I'm pretty sure it would not be available when the CM is first released. But I would think it would be in LWD's interest to sell as much content as they can. Like you would happily pay for custom character sheets. Not a lot—the defaults are okay—but I like to have options.
You are mixing RW with HL. Hero Lab has NO content market and nothing that RW does is currently designed to integrate with HL.

Now then HL has the ability to support allowing download of community content. Hence how the 5e Pack works. On top of this you can ask for a LW account and have your download setup to be in HL. This is how the AncientOne's Pathfinder sheet works. Anyone that installs HL and Pathfinder can download AncientOne's sheet without any additional setup.

You could do the same already for a 5e sheet if someone makes it. Nothing about Realm Works development is affecting how and what can be done in HL.

In addition this whole "I want a custom sheet that matches to exactly my layout" has been done. The answer from LW over 5 years ago was the "Custom Sheets" option I have pointed to in this thread. Feel free to search for the threads from before. The bottom line is that every person wants a different sheet and LW answer was to allow ANYONE with a little work to make one.

Before my group moved to all electronic devices I created a custom sheet for my group. It took a little bit of time but it was not that hard to do and it displayed data exactly as my group wanted.

AncientOne's sheet tried to solve the issue of allowing ANYONE to customize the layout of the sheet on the fly using JavaScript. But to get a workable sheet for you or your group you don't need to be that fancy.

You could even use some of the Pathfinder sheets as a basis like the 3.5 D&D guys did. 80% of the values and logic is the same so it is at least a starting point.

But if "paid" third party sheets never happened for Pathfinder I would not expect 5e to suddenly get them anytime soon.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
dropbear8mybaby

Old November 4th, 2016, 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
...with a little work to make one.
I think you underestimate how hard it is for most people to learn XSLT. That puts it beyond most people's reach and is certainly far more than any DM or group should be expected to do.

It's also unreasonable of LW to not make the effort to provide better options and expect that "the community" and DMs will do all the work for them. This program is supposed to make things easier for DM's and groups, not harder.
dropbear8mybaby is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old November 4th, 2016, 06:03 PM
Quote:
I think you underestimate how hard it is for most people to learn XSLT. That puts it beyond most people's reach and is certainly far more than any DM or group should be expected to do.
I am sorry but you WAY overestimating how difficult it is. If you can do HL scripting you can do XSLT. In matter of fact it is even "EASIER" than HL scripting because you find hundreds of websites to teach it to you. You can't find that for HL Scripting.

Quote:
It's also unreasonable of LW to not make the effort to provide better options and expect that "the community" and DMs will do all the work for them. This program is supposed to make things easier for DM's and groups, not harder.
Again my advice would be go read the threads that hash this all out. The final outcome was "Custom Output".

Yes parts of HL expect you the 'user' to actually solve your own issues. It provides the tools and a base character sheet. If you want "MORE" then you will have to learn how to code XSLT. Just like if you want to really customize HL or input your own houserules you HAVE to learn how to write HL scripts.

These are NOT downfalls of the product. These are what makes the product great because I don't have to sit around and "BEG" LW to do something or add something. I can simply go and do it myself and it will be "exactly" how I want it. But the "cost" is time and energy instead of "money".

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
dropbear8mybaby

Old November 4th, 2016, 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
I am sorry but you WAY overestimating how difficult it is.
dropbear8mybaby is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old November 5th, 2016, 11:43 PM
I suppose I could learn it, I work in HTML, XML, and do some very light coding. But I'm lazy. I would rather just buy a formatted sheet that I like. It's not that hard to bake a cake, but I'd rather order one from the bakery. There are other things I want to spend my very limited non-work, non-family time on.

Thing is, I'm not going to pay what would be a reasonable hourly rate to have someone create one just for me. But would pay, or, I don't know, up to $5 on something that looked nice.

I'm not confusing RW with HL. I know that the CM is only for RW, for now. Whether in CM, One Book Shelf, or some other means, it would be nice to have a place to buy custom characters sheets.

MNBlockHead is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
vbfischer

Old August 8th, 2017, 12:52 PM
I am late to this party, but...

I have XML/XSLT experience... What I LACK is creative/design skills. If someone has an example of something they'd like it to look like, I can git it a shot...
vbfischer is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
Techno

Old August 20th, 2017, 10:02 AM
@vbfischer, I would love to see something clean and simple such as The Clean Sheet 2.5.
Techno is offline   #30 Reply With Quote