Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 2nd, 2010, 04:08 PM
It should come as a surprise to anyone that Paizo is in the process of mapping out their long-term strategy for digital tools. We've been in talks with them about that strategy, but so have others. While we would love to be Paizo's "official" tool of choice, that decision is ultimately up to Paizo, and all indications are that they won't be making any decisions in that regard for at least a couple more months.

What we needed to make sure with Paizo was that anything we did now would be reasonably in line with Paizo's long-term view. The last thing we wanted to do was mess things up by doing something inconsistent with Paizo's long-term view or have to change things if we are able to work something out with Paizo.

As for d20Pro, we have no exclusive arrangement with them. We can definitely support other tools, and we'd be happy to do that - assuming we can work out a suitable arrangement with the tool developers. In the case of d20Pro, they were highly receptive to the idea and were happy to "meet us halfway" in regards to making the integration process work smoothly. They worked with us to spec out an intermediary format that worked well for them and that we could readily produce from Hero Lab.

A critical factor is the architecture of the VTT software and whether it can readily allow the import of characters from outside. I know in years past this was a key limitation of at least one VTT tool.

If another VTT vendor were willing to work with us the same way that the d20Pro team did, we'd be more than happy to work with them. Feel free to contact your favorite VTT vendor and have them contact us about integration.

Last edited by rob; March 2nd, 2010 at 04:14 PM.
rob is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 2nd, 2010, 04:12 PM
As a follow-up to the above, I don't think it would be a problem if some of you were to share your views with Paizo regarding your favorite tools and the relative merits of the tools that are available. Paizo is going to make their decisions based as much on the input of their fans as on purely business discussions - possibly weighing fan input more heavily.

So, if you feel so inclined, let your voices be heard, but *PLEASE* be tactful and polite about how you do it.

Last edited by rob; March 2nd, 2010 at 04:19 PM.
rob is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Mindcloud

Old March 2nd, 2010, 06:04 PM
How about this for an endorsement?

http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards...stion&page=1#0
Mindcloud is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 3rd, 2010, 12:18 PM
Wow! Thanks for the endorsement!
rob is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Knucklehead

Old March 8th, 2010, 12:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
So, if you feel so inclined, let your voices be heard, but *PLEASE* be tactful and polite about how you do it.
I dropped a comment or thirty in that thread myself. Now just don't let me down.
Knucklehead is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
dartnet
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 8th, 2010, 06:49 AM
I just dropped a comment there two.
dartnet is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Virtue

Old March 8th, 2010, 09:31 AM
I will be adding some posts to that im sure

Now how much are we talking for the Beastiary and the Advanced Guide?
Virtue is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
dartnet
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 8th, 2010, 02:04 PM
If there other data files are an indicator about 10 to 20 USD.
dartnet is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 8th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Thanks for all the kind words over in the Paizo forum! It's much appreciated!
rob is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 8th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtue View Post
Now how much are we talking for the Beastiary and the Advanced Guide?
Nothing has been finalized yet. The current thinking for the Bestiary is $10-15, while the Advanced Player's Guide will be $10-20 (as Dartnet predicted). This ultimately depends on exactly how much time is spent writing the data files versus how many units we anticipate selling - there's a lot of work involved in adding all this material. The Advanced Player's Guide is more uncertain than the Bestiary, since we don't yet know how much material is involved and have no way to gauge how much work will be entailed.
rob is offline   #20 Reply With Quote