Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - 4th Edition

Notices

RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 23rd, 2014, 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbearwillis View Post
To each their own, My group and I give 4E a year of are time to give it a chance. The feel of the game was as if we were playing a computer game moving our toon on the screen, Powers or if you like abilities felt like their counter parts in computer games. with cool downs and the like. After a year we gave up on 4E. All the classes felt the same to us. Same powers different names, the only difference was when you got the power. Like I said to each their own, but I guess I'm a hater also because I refuse to ever go back and play 4E. I chose to keep my computer games on my computer and my table top RPG's on the table. Not mix them up. My believe Wizards made 4E the way they did to try and bring computer games to the table or at least the ones that never played a table top game rpg, which there were a lot of them. I just believe 4E ran its course for what it was made for.

If you enjoy it, then you enjoy it. if you don't you don't, you don't - It takes all kinds to make the world go around. But to call people haters just because they don't like some games is just plain off the wall - LOL. If you think it's a great game and its for you great. I felt it fell short in a lot of area's and wasn't for me and my group felt the same.
They were attempting to reach a new Demographic, the MMO crowd, largely the WoW populace with 4e, the problem is that WoW players are typically addicted to their MMO and aren't willing to give it up. Hasbro learned that it was a bad business choice. Call me a hater all you want, sales figures speak, it's all about the cash. The money talks and right now Paizo has the conversation. Pathfinder sales consistently beating 4e shows that 3rd/3.5 isn't going away anytime soon. Hasbro re releasing 3.5 reprints is proof enough they got burned by their own OGL.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 24th, 2014, 07:40 AM
This is turning into an Edition Wars thread, and it's on the border of becoming too heated. The purpose of this forum is to discuss Hero Lab's implementation of the 4e system, so we'd appreciate it if the comparisons of game systems could be moved to another forum.

Last edited by Mathias; January 24th, 2014 at 07:49 AM.
Mathias is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
MagicSN

Old January 24th, 2014, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenX View Post
They were attempting to reach a new Demographic, the MMO crowd, largely the WoW populace with 4e, the problem is that WoW players are typically addicted to their MMO and aren't willing to give it up.
Not true. I know several people who stopped playing WoW and still playing D&D Pen&Paper ^^ And myselves, well, I still play WoW, but two times a week for 2 hours (have been in the "Heroic Raiding" sort of people LONG) and it's getting less and less. D&D playing is getting more and more. Admitted, I stopped on 4e, switching for Next ;-)

RavenX, Cryptoknight: you are probably the two extremes of the spectrum regarding comments on 4e ^^ One doesn't like it, one likes it ;-)

@RavenX: Believe me, 4e is fun. At least till you reach Paragon Level. Then the problems start. But it is not as bad as you make it sound.

@Cryptoknight: Once per game-day is fine and well. But that limits you HARD. What about "travel adventures"? We had so many campaigns where we had to do weird stuff to avoid the people being able to rest. Or forcing the whole story to happen on one day, while when I would still be playing Midgard, we would have it in 2 weeks gametime. In Next it is again much more like Midgard (funny even, that some of the new rules are really similar to houserules we had in Midgard ^^ Well, nobody here knows Midgard probably, as it is a german-only Pen&Paper game ^^).

BTW, currently working on a new RPG tool. Working on a little tool written in C# (actually I hate this language, especially for it's Windows-centered-ness, my preferred computer is the Amiga X1000 PowerPC system), still due to doing PC Coding at work, and being used to code on it, it was fastest done in C# ^^ Anyways, my new tool (which will this time actually be RELEASED) will be a tool to convert 4E monsters into Next monsters (and also generate Next monsters from Scratch), especially outputting a Font printout looking like in the official game modules. A "sort of" database for monsters will also be supported.
MagicSN is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old January 24th, 2014, 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicSN View Post
Not true. I know several people who stopped playing WoW and still playing D&D Pen&Paper ^^ And myselves, well, I still play WoW, but two times a week for 2 hours (have been in the "Heroic Raiding" sort of people LONG) and it's getting less and less. D&D playing is getting more and more. Admitted, I stopped on 4e, switching for Next ;-)

RavenX, Cryptoknight: you are probably the two extremes of the spectrum regarding comments on 4e ^^ One doesn't like it, one likes it ;-)

@RavenX: Believe me, 4e is fun. At least till you reach Paragon Level. Then the problems start. But it is not as bad as you make it sound.

@Cryptoknight: Once per game-day is fine and well. But that limits you HARD. What about "travel adventures"? We had so many campaigns where we had to do weird stuff to avoid the people being able to rest. Or forcing the whole story to happen on one day, while when I would still be playing Midgard, we would have it in 2 weeks gametime. In Next it is again much more like Midgard (funny even, that some of the new rules are really similar to houserules we had in Midgard ^^ Well, nobody here knows Midgard probably, as it is a german-only Pen&Paper game ^^).

BTW, currently working on a new RPG tool. Working on a little tool written in C# (actually I hate this language, especially for it's Windows-centered-ness, my preferred computer is the Amiga X1000 PowerPC system), still due to doing PC Coding at work, and being used to code on it, it was fastest done in C# ^^ Anyways, my new tool (which will this time actually be RELEASED) will be a tool to convert 4E monsters into Next monsters (and also generate Next monsters from Scratch), especially outputting a Font printout looking like in the official game modules. A "sort of" database for monsters will also be supported.
I know this my friend, I had a 4e Dark Sun game go from 1st to 15th level in 4e. I saw the problems first hand. The tool you're working on sounds interesting.

I would like to see hero lab implement next, but I'd prefer it with a license. I'd rather have access to the data rather than have to download it from Hasbro directly. The 4e downloader is a hassle at times.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.

Last edited by RavenX; January 24th, 2014 at 08:39 PM.
RavenX is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
sincla

Old August 22nd, 2014, 07:22 PM
Hello MagicSN, I am very interested in your D&D Next implementation. Is there any chance you would share it? Or, if you won't/can't, perhaps you could give me advice on how to implement it myself? The authoring kit wiki is unfortunately not complete and missing many details.
sincla is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
KahnB

Old August 25th, 2014, 12:37 AM
I play d&d since the mid 80s and Next is absolutely the best edition I played so far. It is easy, logical and has the flair of the very first edition. Me and mygroup just love it and it would be great to be able to i clude it in HL.
KahnB
KahnB is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
cryptoknight

Old September 3rd, 2014, 09:41 AM
I'm interested in the 5th ed ruleset now that it's published... Will MagicSN make it available to us?

If so, I can make a separate section on the hl4e site to host it... and updates and bug fixes as required.

Working on Twilight 2000 4e HL System
cryptoknight is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
Warunsun

Old October 4th, 2014, 09:52 AM
My group has played every version of AD&D from 1e to 4e and has also played some retro-games like Castles & Crusades. I am definitely interested in a supported 5E module from HeroLab. I am sure we will try D&D fifth edition at some point after the Dungeon Master's Guide premieres. We are currently using Castles & Crusades rules and enjoying them but some of our group will dig a change I think.
Warunsun is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
MagicSN

Old October 7th, 2014, 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptoknight View Post
I'm interested in the 5th ed ruleset now that it's published... Will MagicSN make it available to us?

If so, I can make a separate section on the hl4e site to host it... and updates and bug fixes as required.
Currently it depends on the legal issues. I don't want to get sued by Wizards of the Coast!
MagicSN is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
MUrry

Old February 22nd, 2015, 03:21 AM
There are about 25 weekly players of NEXT, 4e, and Pathfinder at the game store where I play who would be very interested in a NEXT character builder for Hero Lab.

Having all of the information in one place would be a very handy thing indeed. Your work even if it isn't ever allowed to be published is much appreciated.
MUrry is offline   #30 Reply With Quote