Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Shadowrun

Notices

Senko

Old May 24th, 2014, 09:17 PM
I've submitted a bug report (in doubt) but I'm wondering if anyone knows of a way to reform a skill group. That is I put 3 ranks into unarmed combat, later on when I have the karma I want to raise my close combat skill so I raise blades and club to 3 as well. However I can't reform the skill group and then raise it, closest I can get is creating the same skill group (5 karma) and then I can't raise that. It doesn't even show up in the everything tab much less the valid items even though I each of the skills twice once at value 3 and once as a group (identified by green text) at rank 1. Is there some simple trick to this?
Senko is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
bmacvicar

Old May 25th, 2014, 01:08 AM
You cannot break up the skill group during character creation... once your character is locked and you earn more karma just increasing an active skill during advancement will break the group.
bmacvicar is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Senko

Old May 25th, 2014, 02:43 AM
You misunderstand I can break them just fine what I want to do is reform them. That is as per the rules if I get all the skills of a group at the same level I should then be able to purchase increase skill group to raise them as a lump set for a reduced price. The situation currently is once a group gets broken whether its by raising a skill or just having one at the start its impossible to reform the group in herolab meaning I'm limited to purchasing each skill individually for more karma than I should be spending.

Page 129 core rulebook
If you want to advance one skill from the group without advancing the rest, the skill group is broken and you get each of the skills in the group at the fformer group rating: then you can increase one of the skills. If you want to get the skill group back (or get a new one). You must first get all of the skills in the group to the same rating.

Its the second part that's not working right now even if you get all the skills at the same rating you can't purchase raise skill group and if you purchase a new one it just gives you duplicate skills at level 1 you again can't raise. For example I start off with pistols at 3/1 (specialized light) I'm then never able to get the firearms skill group even if I raise automatics/longarms to 3 as well.

Another example would be using starting skills to raise negotiation, ettiquette and leadership to 2 at the start using individual skills then raising for a discount as a group after creation. Which means short term your saving karma by having high skills but for a higher level character herolab forces you spend more than you should to keep raising them and you'd be better off taking lower skillls so you can leave the skill groups free to purchase them as groups later which is not what's meant to happen.

Last edited by Senko; May 25th, 2014 at 02:50 AM.
Senko is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
bmacvicar

Old May 25th, 2014, 10:18 AM
your right, I did misunderstand. and not sure... tried it and I couldn't get it to work.
bmacvicar is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 25th, 2014, 10:31 AM
Re-forming a broken skill group is not something Hero Lab can currently handle automatically. First, figure out the total karma cost of the single-skill advancements you've added - the advancement that broke the group and the advancements that were needed to re-establish it. Then, delete all of them, add advancements to the group that take it to the correct rating, and use the "Spend Karma" advancement to record the difference.
Mathias is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Senko

Old May 25th, 2014, 04:17 PM
I was worried it might be something like that, I don't suppose your going to be able to fix it any time soon so is there a way either you or I could add a "Raise skill group for free" option so our karma/spent earnt doesn't artificially increase as we readjust these groups please?
Senko is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Senko

Old May 27th, 2014, 06:22 AM
Ok that works, hopefully the 11 skill points left unspent as a result of deleting starting i.e. character creation assigned skills to reset the individual ones to 0 wont cause any problems down the line.
Senko is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
LazloZingo

Old January 21st, 2017, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
Re-forming a broken skill group is not something Hero Lab can currently handle automatically. First, figure out the total karma cost of the single-skill advancements you've added - the advancement that broke the group and the advancements that were needed to re-establish it. Then, delete all of them, add advancements to the group that take it to the correct rating, and use the "Spend Karma" advancement to record the difference.
How does this affect the Street Cred tracker or now do you have to manually adjust each time?

Please, please add the ability to break and reform skill groups both during character creation and advancement. We use life modules and not being able to do this means that life modules aren't fully usable.

Thank you!
LazloZingo is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
LazloZingo

Old January 21st, 2017, 01:44 PM
So, it looks like if you add the individual skills to the sheet and then add the skill group it labels it as "broken" but if you then raise the group it will also raise the individual skills. You still can't add the other skills individually to reform the group but it is something.
LazloZingo is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
ShadowWalker

Old January 21st, 2017, 06:25 PM
The way I handle this is to adjust the advancement cost of each skill increase so that the total cost of increasing all 3 is the same total it would be if the skills were in the group. You can do this on the personal tab.
ShadowWalker is offline   #10 Reply With Quote