Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Aaron

Old January 13th, 2018, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmartin View Post
@Aaron I am not enthusiastic at the prospect. It sounds like a lot of work to implement. And then everyone using the WiS rule set will be forced to make the choice for each weapon they possess. Virtually all of them are going to pick the higher bonus. End result: I'd be doing a lot of work and making it harder for players to manage their characters, in order to implement an option where the user's end choice is predictable 99.9% of the time.
I don't think it would be much work, maybe 2 hours or so, for testing. I assume you've already got a mechanic around to implement these changes and bootstrap weapon finesse to everyone. Instead of the feat, bootstrap a racial ability (since those are shown on everyone) with a selector to choose Dex or Str, then all you need is an eval script to pull the "Use this for melee attacks tag" and to to foreach through all weapons on the hero to push that tag.

If having a racial special without context around annoys you it might be worth it to set a configurable up as an intermediary, then bootstrap the selector ability as a class special to that configurable. Call the configurable "WiS Special Rules" and you can even provide information (through other bootstrapped specials) to users about what is going on, to help future folk figure out what is going on if there is background stuff going on.

Anyway, it's your thing, and there may be complications I am unaware of, but that's how I see it.
Aaron is offline   #51 Reply With Quote
Minous

Old January 13th, 2018, 02:34 PM
Unlike bonuses, penalties stack, unless otherwise noted. -2 Weapon Finesse, -2 Shield non-proficiency. Specifically these are untyped penalties to the attack roll from different sources.
Minous is offline   #52 Reply With Quote
wdmartin

Old January 13th, 2018, 10:05 PM
@farling No, I don't believe that. I thought that you were saying that's what you believed? Clearly there's some misunderstanding going on here.

I think the easiest way to resolve this is just adjust the script for Weapon Finesse so that it's only bootstrapped if the PC's DEX mod exceeds their STR mod. I'll experiment with it and see if that works.

EDIT: Nope, I don't think that approach will work.

Hour 1: Learned that you can't specify attribute value prerequisites in bootstrap tag expressions.

Hour 2: Learned that you can't assign a tag based on attribute values until the Post-Attributes phase, when it's far too late to bootstrap anything since that happens in the First phase. So I can't tag them as eligible for finesse and then check for that in the bootstrap pre-reqs.

Hour 3: Learned how to use Helper.FtDisable. Also learned that if your Weapon Finesse pick has Helper.FtDisable assigned to it, the PC still takes the shield penalty even if their DEX mod is lower than their STR mod, so assigning Helper.FtDisable to PCs that don't use their DEX mod for attack roll calculations won't actually save them from the effect.

It's almost 4 AM and I have to GM at noon. I'm not prepped, and will be making up a whole bunch of stuff on the spot. Must sleep now.

Last edited by wdmartin; January 14th, 2018 at 12:55 AM.
wdmartin is offline   #53 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old January 14th, 2018, 10:11 AM
I am on vacation for the next week, so if you like, I could send you an example of what my version would be. Is there somewhere I can read the rules for this system?
Aaron is offline   #54 Reply With Quote
willuwontu

Old January 14th, 2018, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
I am on vacation for the next week, so if you like, I could send you an example of what my version would be. Is there somewhere I can read the rules for this system?
http://michaeliantorno.com/feat-taxes-in-pathfinder/ oh and http://www.hearthandblade.com/feats-rules/feats/
willuwontu is offline   #55 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old January 14th, 2018, 07:54 PM
Thanks.
Aaron is offline   #56 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old January 14th, 2018, 09:01 PM
Here you go, took longer than it should have because I stupidly forgot to bootstrap the configurable to the mechanic, then was running around wondering what the heck I was getting missing agent messages for.
Attached Files
File Type: email Test Grant All effect of weapon finesse.user (4.9 KB, 1 views)
Aaron is offline   #57 Reply With Quote
wdmartin

Old January 14th, 2018, 10:53 PM
Wow, stuff has happened! I'll be sure to check that out, probably tomorrow.

Thank you very much, Aaron!
wdmartin is offline   #58 Reply With Quote
wdmartin

Old January 15th, 2018, 04:16 PM
Okay, I've reviewed Aaron's code, and it looks good! I have integrated it into the WiS codebase and tested it, and it seems to work nicely. There were a few bits of additional work -- setting sources, writing a quick eval script on the mechanic to give everyone HasFeat.fWepFin to satisfy prerequisites on other feats -- but those were pretty straightforward. Many thanks to Aaron for taking the time to help out!

I have pushed out an update that should correct that issue. It also fixes a bug with Warpriests; they weren't getting their sacred weapon damage dice increase correctly on all the weapons in a group. It was just a timing issue, and should be working now.

You may still encounter errors regarding the feat fCoverFirV. I have a bug filed on this already -- #134866 -- and am hopeful that it will be corrected before long. In the meantime, I don't think the errors actually cause any problems with most PCs. Just ignore them.
wdmartin is offline   #59 Reply With Quote
Ian

Old January 20th, 2018, 12:28 AM
I'm getting an "Error 503 Backend fetch failed" from your download page linked in the first post. It looks like your CDN or caching server may be misbehaving.
Ian is offline   #60 Reply With Quote