Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Korav

Old July 10th, 2014, 03:23 AM
So I have been working on using the XML output from Hero Lab, parse it with Javascript, then us the Roll 20 API to import information into the new character sheet system they have.

The challenge that I am running into is that there often seems to be important information missing from the xml. This information is obviously taken into account in Hero Labs and on the final sheet output, but not in the XML.

Two examples, first:

<initiative total="+5" attrname="Dexterity" misctext="+0" attrtext="+3">
<situationalmodifiers text=""/>
</initiative>

In the snippet above you can see that the "total" is 5, however the Dexterity attribute accounts for only 3 of that with no other situational or miscellaneous modifiers. Now on this character I have a trait that provides an additional +2 to initiative so I know the source, but there is simply no way from the xml output to easily determine this.

Second example, Armor Class Penalties:

<penalties>
<penalty name="Armor Check Penalty" value="-2" text="-2"/>
<penalty name="Max Dex Bonus" value="6" text="6"/>
</penalties>

<armor name="Heavy steel shield" ac="+2" quantity="1" equipped="yes">
<weight value="15" text="15 lbs"/>
<cost value="20" text="20 gp"/>
...redacting description as it is irrelevant...

<armor name="Leather armor" ac="+2" quantity="1" equipped="yes">
<weight value="15" text="15 lbs"/>
<cost value="10" text="10 gp"/>
...redacting description as it is irrelevant...

So with the above, it is not possible to associate the Armor Check Penalty with either of the armor items, but in the application and the output sheet this information is realistically available.

Is it possible that the xml output is missing these values? Are they somehow calculated internally (meaning that the project I am working on will have severe limitation)?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Korav is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Jamz

Old July 10th, 2014, 10:34 AM
instead of the xml output, can you use the xml save file in the .por file? Since its just a zip file, it is easy to access and should have everything?

-Jamz

RPTools.net | MapTool Discord Invite

Download Latest MapTool Release | Download Latest TokenTool Release
Jamz is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Korav

Old July 10th, 2014, 11:37 AM
I was unaware that the .por files were just zip archives, however looking a the statblock xml file it looked identical (though I didn't do a diff to find out). Now there were several other xml files, but will need to dig through them... either way this would make it significantly more challenging due to the limitation of how Roll20 can import...
Korav is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 10th, 2014, 12:30 PM
I'm sorry to say that we have not had as much time to work on the custom output as we would like, and there are several known issues with it - there's a lot of information it doesn't currently include. Improving this is one of the projects on our to-do list.

The same xml output is available through either the custom output option or as one of the items in the .por file.
Mathias is online now   #4 Reply With Quote
Jamz

Old July 10th, 2014, 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korav View Post
I was unaware that the .por files were just zip archives, however looking a the statblock xml file it looked identical (though I didn't do a diff to find out). Now there were several other xml files, but will need to dig through them... either way this would make it significantly more challenging due to the limitation of how Roll20 can import...
Not sure how Roll 20 works but for a similar project in Map Tool, I wrote a PHP that extracted the XML files I needed by passing the character name as a parameter, it even did the unzip for me. It actually worked is conjunction with Google Drive, by passing the ID of the .por it grabbed the shared file.

Maybe something similar can work?

-Jamz

RPTools.net | MapTool Discord Invite

Download Latest MapTool Release | Download Latest TokenTool Release
Jamz is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Korav

Old July 11th, 2014, 04:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
I'm sorry to say that we have not had as much time to work on the custom output as we would like, and there are several known issues with it - there's a lot of information it doesn't currently include. Improving this is one of the projects on our to-do list.

The same xml output is available through either the custom output option or as one of the items in the .por file.
I can understand prioritization of features .

However, just to throw some business justification in hopes of bumping this up in the priority list for future consideration and planning. Roll20 is booming right now, they are seeing significant growth and activity, largely due to ease of use and availability.

One of the key features that they introduced recently are character sheets, and while this was a significant improvement in Roll20, it leads to the next iteration of problems, namely how tedious it can be to fill out a Pathfinder sheet. As a GM a large portion of my setup time is spent filling out sheets for some players, but also for NPC/Monters.

If a bridge can be built between Roll20 and Hero Lab it allows growth opportunities for Hero Lab because people will recognize the time savings associated with this bridge and the encounter builder. Jump into Hero Labs, export the portfolio to XML, copy into Roll20 and import it! Encounter done!

The javascript XML parser hopefully won't be too overly complex, but for it to be truly effective, the required data to fill out a character sheet properly simply needs to be there.

Anyway, down off my software development soapbox! Thanks for making a great tool!
Korav is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Korav

Old July 11th, 2014, 04:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
Not sure how Roll 20 works but for a similar project in Map Tool, I wrote a PHP that extracted the XML files I needed by passing the character name as a parameter, it even did the unzip for me. It actually worked is conjunction with Google Drive, by passing the ID of the .por it grabbed the shared file.

Maybe something similar can work?
Jamz, I dug through the other XML files and I could find a reasonable way to translate the information in them to the properties that I am missing in the hero.xlm file.
Korav is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Korav

Old August 7th, 2014, 04:53 AM
So I was able to finalize this importer and it works pretty well, though there are limitations based on the xml output vs. the requirements of the Pathfinder Character Sheet.

If you are interested in this integration between Hero Labs awesome character generation tool and Roll20's awesome Virtual Tabletop, you can see the details on the Roll20 API forums here.
Korav is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old August 8th, 2014, 11:06 AM
An xml improvement would benefit all VTT's. And given that computers at the table are a reality for a large number of gamers now, it would be a welcome improvement. As Mathias notes, in the current solution, there is information that is not currently passed on. Unfortunately, it's the VTT developers that catch the heat for not having full HL integration.... I know I've expressed considerable (misdirected) frustration to the d20pro devs and I think they've been trying to work with the limitations; but many of us users are still not satisfied.

What would it take for this to move up on the priority list?
AEIOU is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Grovestrider

Old December 17th, 2014, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korav View Post
I can understand prioritization of features .

However, just to throw some business justification in hopes of bumping this up in the priority list for future consideration and planning. Roll20 is booming right now, they are seeing significant growth and activity, largely due to ease of use and availability.

One of the key features that they introduced recently are character sheets, and while this was a significant improvement in Roll20, it leads to the next iteration of problems, namely how tedious it can be to fill out a Pathfinder sheet. As a GM a large portion of my setup time is spent filling out sheets for some players, but also for NPC/Monters.

If a bridge can be built between Roll20 and Hero Lab it allows growth opportunities for Hero Lab because people will recognize the time savings associated with this bridge and the encounter builder. Jump into Hero Labs, export the portfolio to XML, copy into Roll20 and import it! Encounter done!

The javascript XML parser hopefully won't be too overly complex, but for it to be truly effective, the required data to fill out a character sheet properly simply needs to be there.

Anyway, down off my software development soapbox! Thanks for making a great tool!
I am another who believes that if Hero Labs, Roll20 and Trapdoor Technologies works to ensure complete compatibility, business would thrive for all three communities and we would have possibly the best RPG set-up.
Grovestrider is offline   #10 Reply With Quote