Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Shayd3000

Old September 15th, 2010, 03:15 PM
I hope this is the right place to post this. As a future enhancement, I'd like to see the "No Common Language" option actually replace "Common" with the user editable "other language" instead of just removing the language entirely.

Either that or add another a new option in the character options that replaces "Common" with the editable "Other language".

Edit: Another thought I had was to make the option a "Replace Common with _______ " and then a selector box.

Thanks!

George

Member: Amorphous Blob Games

Last edited by Shayd3000; September 16th, 2010 at 08:35 AM.
Shayd3000 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 20th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Here's how you can set this up as a house rule for your game:

In the editor, go to the Mechanics tab, and create a new mechanic - name it something like "Common Language is now XXX" or "Common Language is now user-specified".

The last option is "Sources" - if you already have a setting for your campaign's house rules/world set up, apply this mechanic to that source, otherwise, create a new one.

At the top right, press the "Bootstraps" button, and "Click to Add Another Bootstrap". Press the "Choose" button on the left, and filter the list for "Language". If you're created new languages for your campaign, they'll be in that list - double click the one you want to be the new common language (or select "Other Language" if you want the edit-able language to be the default).

Now, the right-most option for the bootstraps is "Condition". Change the phase to "Pre-Levels" and the priority to 2500.

Now enter the following text into the big space:

Code:

!Hero.NoDefComm
Save this and test your mechanic.

If you had to create a new source, go back to the main Hero Lab Window and select "Configure Hero" from the Character menu. Make sure your new source is enabled, and also find "No Common Language" within the House Rules section, and check that, too.

The common language that was being added to all characters should now be replaced with the language you've chosen. If you choose a race like a Boggard that wouldn't normally receive Common as a starting language, they shouldn't receive your new language as a starting language, either.
Mathias is online now   #2 Reply With Quote
Shayd3000

Old September 21st, 2010, 04:07 AM
Thanks! I'll give that a try!

Shayd3000 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Shayd3000

Old September 22nd, 2010, 03:34 AM
So - gave this a try and worked like a charm. The only catch is I had to restart HL for it to take effect. Not a problem though. Thanks for the help on it!

Shayd3000 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 22nd, 2010, 07:30 AM
In the develop menu, you can select "Quick Reload Data Files" (the keyboard shortcut for that is ctrl-r) to get around the fact that the editor can't always deal well with mechanics or anything else that's permanently assigned to a character.
Mathias is online now   #5 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 22nd, 2010, 08:49 AM
Thinking about this - I think I missed a case.

In the editor, change the Uniqueness (very top, somewhat to the right) of all your languages to "Add Once" (or "no" if the language is one that uses the text field of the Other Language).

Back in the main HL window, press ctrl-r for a quick reload.

Add a race like Boggard that doesn't normally have common - make sure that your new common language is still on their list, so that a boggard with high INT or linguistics ranks has the option of taking it.
Mathias is online now   #6 Reply With Quote
Shayd3000

Old September 22nd, 2010, 08:51 AM
I saw that and was wondering about it. I'll give it a shot! Thanks!

Shayd3000 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Shayd3000

Old September 22nd, 2010, 02:25 PM
Everything seems to be working fine....

Last edited by Shayd3000; September 22nd, 2010 at 02:30 PM.
Shayd3000 is offline   #8 Reply With Quote