Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

dartnet
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 24th, 2016, 08:07 AM
I am starting to revise the Shaintar files and have a few things I just don't know how to do.

How would you script an edge to give:

1 skill point for every full advance in skills. I.e. you take 2 lesser skills and you get a skill point.

Script a edge to select another edge to ignore prerequisites. Kind of like how Heroism in Slip Stream allows you to ignore the rank requirement for one edge.

Thanks in advance.
dartnet is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old April 24th, 2016, 09:26 AM
Maybe some ideas in this thread on the pre-reqs thing? Or this one?

This thread kind of covers the advancement handling of skill point, although it's aimed at using them for every advance that way, but it might give you some ideas on how it might be used in an Edge.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old April 24th, 2016, 09:29 AM
The advancements do not track how much of an advance is spent on skills. So the only thing that I can think of is a mechanic that will look at the total number of advances on a lesser skill. After it totals it, it divides it in two and rounds down. This can possibly end up where a character will get a lesser skill and somehow spends a half an advance on something else (like a half-cost edge, or an edge that costs a half added to a base number, like 1.5).

However, there is a problem with this. I had initially figured that, since the character is using advances, the character would also want to use advances for the free skill point. This creates some circular logic. If you were to add skill points (as in character creation mode) that could work, but when you jump back and forth between a locked character and an unlocked character, if you have modified a skill through an advance it is locked, so the extra skill point would have to be applied to a skill that has not been modified through an advance -- ever -- or a new skill.

For reference, the advance for the Lesser Skill is "advBoost2".

Another idea might be to create a derived attribute for these extra skill points. Then make up your own version of "advBoost2" (it can be found in the thing_advance.dat file in the source folder). However, you cannot put a source on it so it would show up for everybody. Anyway, give that new version (advBoost3?) a 0 cost and instead use a mechanic to apply it against a derived attribute for these extra skill points.

Can you tell me the name of the edge and what book it is in? I might have the pdf and I can look at its description more closely.

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old April 24th, 2016, 09:49 AM
Presumably it's in Shaintar. (I don't have that so I can't check.) Of course the other option there, especially since it sound like you'd only be modifying how the Advance works after the point at which a character purchases the Edge in question and only then working when 2 lesser skills are bought, would simply be to not code it at all. Just list a reminder to go to the Personal Tab and manually add a skill point there, which is probably what I would do for something like that.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #4 Reply With Quote