Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

AndrewD2

Old October 25th, 2014, 05:05 PM
The system I'm working on has Areas of Expertise that you can add to a skill if you have 3 or more points in the skill. They add a +2 bonus to that specific bonus, and I was trying to think where I saw that before. Then I remembered Shadowrun does that with specialties.

I was wondering how they were handled? I'm guessing the action button brings up a form, but I'm not really sure how it's handled. I'm going to make the AoEs as things that are the expertise component which looks like when I glance at the editor for Shadowrun 5, but I'm just looking for an idea of how to handle these.
AndrewD2 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
AndrewD2

Old October 26th, 2014, 08:18 AM
Looks like I need to do the skills as gizmos to copy the functionality from Shadowrun since each skill will need its own set of picks.
AndrewD2 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
AndrewD2

Old October 26th, 2014, 09:17 AM
Well got a form setup (the example form in the wiki is using the panel element instead of form, so it was a little confusing). Now to figure out how to turn all the skills into gizmos.
AndrewD2 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
AndrewD2

Old October 26th, 2014, 12:46 PM
Made it a step further, made all the skills Gizmos, "+" button I have accesses a form called "expertise" which lists all the areas of expertise in the game.

Couple interesting things happened, since I changed the button action from form to edit now my form comes up with just ????? for the names in it.

also when I had things I get this error

Code:
Attempt to use a 'headertitle' script within a table with no valid 'headerthing' for portal '_headerui'
- - -
Attempt to use an 'additem' script within a table with no valid 'addthing' for portal '_tableadd_'
- - -
Attempt to use a 'headertitle' script within a table with no valid 'headerthing' for portal '_headerui'
- - -
Attempt to use an 'additem' script within a table with no valid 'addthing' for portal '_tableadd_'
I've been working my way through the Gizmo post that's stickied in the forums and it's helped some, but now I need to figure out how to get the form to only show the picks associated with that specific skill. I have the Expertise component pull the tag from the associated link Skill to it much like Skills in Savage Worlds pull the tag of the Attribute.
AndrewD2 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 26th, 2014, 01:31 PM
Are you asking a question, or just reporting the status of your project?
Mathias is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
AndrewD2

Old October 26th, 2014, 03:14 PM
Bit of both really, I've just been trying to figure it out on my own, but I was hoping to find out how Shadowrun Specialties worked and reporting my progress towards figuring it out so I would hopefully be answering some of the questions that might be asked of me without having to wait for further questions.
AndrewD2 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
AndrewD2

Old October 26th, 2014, 04:13 PM
New update, got rid of the ???? for the add item part, I noticed your comment at the end of the post about bootstrapping a simple thing.

The header still shows up as ?????? and gives me a warning about no valid headerthing but I can't find a reference anywhere to headerthing.

So where I'm at now is
1) need to figure out how to get a header for it
2) need to figure out how to limit the selections to options only available to the selected skill
3) change the name of the skill so it says SKILLNAME (+2 EXPERTISE, +2 EXPERTISE, ...)
AndrewD2 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 26th, 2014, 04:34 PM
Look on the wiki page describing the elements of a table_dynamic portal for headerpick and addpick.
Mathias is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
AndrewD2

Old October 26th, 2014, 05:04 PM
Aha, #1 down, added the simple thing to headerpick="" and my header shows up.
AndrewD2 is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 26th, 2014, 05:23 PM
<needtag> is what Shadowrun uses for #2

For #3, debug the fields on a skill in Shadowrun, and watch how those change as you add specialties.
Mathias is offline   #10 Reply With Quote