Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

eponette

Old February 4th, 2015, 12:03 AM
For all those who have the Argan Argar Atlas : how did you manage to put a map (or part of it) in RW? And what if the area interesting for your game is on more than one sheet?
eponette is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old February 4th, 2015, 07:08 AM
Argh.... Closed my browser and lost the response.

Frog God Games recently came out with Sword of Air which is a sweeping adventure that crosses (more than) several thousand miles. They presented each part of the adventure as a region that is about 7000x5000 miles. And they showed a region map for each part. I liked that approach as it put everything at my finger tips for the adventure.

I took the regions and mapped them out on the world so I could visualize their relations better and found that they overlapped. At first I was irritated. My gut inclination was to divide the world into an orderly grid of mini maps. But I have to admit that their approach has really grown on me. It creates mini sandboxes that flow smoothly rather than distinct borders.

I've added a Regional Scope tag to almost everything and if something is in multiple regions, it gets multiple tags. I can easily identify everything around the Dragon Hills -- including stuff that overlaps with the Stoneheart Mountains and the Starcrag Foothills. Rivers and mountain ranges and traveling NPCs can all be associated in multiple regions.

These overlapping regions allow me to really focus on the adventure as the driver rather than the map. This was an ah-ha moment, a paradigm shift, for me.

Sorry for the thumbnail size. FGG's copyrighted material so I'm giving just enough detail to see the regions and how they overlap to provide context.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B38...ew?usp=sharing
AEIOU is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
BoomerET

Send a message via ICQ to BoomerET Send a message via Yahoo to BoomerET Send a message via Skype™ to BoomerET

Old February 4th, 2015, 12:02 PM
AEIOU,

Did you get the PF or S&W version. I picked up the S&W version, as it's much easier to convert to D&D 5E from my personal experience.

I like what I've read so far, but I'm running my group through Lost City of Barakus right now, so lots of time is being spent on that mammoth tome.

Castles & Crusades Ruleset for Hero Lab
Hero Lab (5E D&D) -> Fantasy Grounds Character Converter
BoomerET is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
gloranphile

Old February 4th, 2015, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eponette View Post
For all those who have the Argan Argar Atlas : how did you manage to put a map (or part of it) in RW? And what if the area interesting for your game is on more than one sheet?
Eponette, check your Realm Works invites. I think you might like my realm.

The AAA is kind of difficult. My original intention was to create a huge png of the world, but it's far too big to include, so I used various images from the Guide to Glorantha, as well as from Glorantha.com.
gloranphile is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old February 4th, 2015, 12:24 PM
PF version. I keep considering S&W but I'm already invested and 5e doesn't hold any appeal for me.
AEIOU is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old February 4th, 2015, 12:25 PM
Another thing that will make large maps more workable would be hot spots. There has been talk about upgrading the smart images and links from maps to other maps is on the short list. But that's all down the road...
AEIOU is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
eponette

Old February 5th, 2015, 03:54 AM
Thanks AEIOU for your tips.

And Gloranphile, I'll check your realm as soon as in front of my PC (Kind of busy lately, but I'll give you a feed back). And as it sounds good, eager to be able to share data (when RW will be able to do it).
eponette is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old February 5th, 2015, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerET View Post
I like what I've read so far, but I'm running my group through Lost City of Barakus right now, so lots of time is being spent on that mammoth tome.
Good luck with that and have fun. My players sometimes hated me when I ran that. LOL
ruhar is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Barwickian

Old February 6th, 2015, 07:51 PM
I have been putting Glorantha in.

My focus is on Dragon Pass, so anything outside is getting less detail. I put in more than one Argan Argar map by the simple expedient of extracting the maps of Dragon Pass and Prax from the PDF, combining them in Photoshop, and putting that into Real Works.

For Glorantha as a whole, the Argan Argar maps are two detailed. I've used the maps of Glorantha (and the illustration of the cosmos) from the Guide to Glorantha, marking the locaton of Dragon Pass with a pin.
Barwickian is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
gloranphile

Old February 7th, 2015, 12:29 PM
Barwickian, would you also like an invite to my realm? I've got pretty much the entirety of the Guide in there. It's not all shared with the players, but it might give you some guidance.

I'd love an invite to yours as well!

D100 for life!

Last edited by gloranphile; February 23rd, 2015 at 06:30 AM.
gloranphile is offline   #10 Reply With Quote