Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

Farling

Old July 26th, 2015, 11:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenX View Post
Spell checker is probably lower on the priority list because you can just copy/paste fom a word processor into realm works... Which I do fairly regularly.
Spell checkers are the bane of the modern world, since in "the old days" we had to learn how to spell things correctly in the first place. ;-)
Farling is offline   #41 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old July 27th, 2015, 10:01 AM
Kinda like remembering your wife or mom's phone number now huh??? Never had a problem remembering phone numbers till the advent of the I-phone.... now just too simple (= lazy) for me to just press wife or mom button!

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #42 Reply With Quote
gamemasterbob

Old September 21st, 2015, 07:05 PM

Last edited by gamemasterbob; September 21st, 2015 at 07:22 PM.
gamemasterbob is offline   #43 Reply With Quote
gamemasterbob

Old September 21st, 2015, 07:21 PM
If there ever is a spellchecker in RW it would HAVE to allow unrecognized words to be added. That would be the true reason that RW needs spellcheck. I'll explain.

EXAMPLE:I have a Ranger who follows Mielikki (Forgotten Realms D&D). This is SO easy to misspell. However, once it's added as a custom word it will be checked and the CORRECT spelling (previously entered by me) would be suggested. THEN when RW scans for the name Mielikki it ALWAYS gets it because spelling is the same EVERY time and none of the story is lost. Isn't this the reason we have RW?

So... spellchecker is NOT only for spelling but it is actually crucial to keeping the WIKI on track! It would be almost impossible for me to write "Meilikki" because spellcheck would see it and I could fix it and ALL my entries with Mielikki are accounted for and not LOST because I misspeleed. When you have years (real years...) of campaign data this is VERY IMPORTANT.
RW NEEDS a Spellchecker for THIS reason.

Now, I do all my note taking OUTSIDE RW with a program that has spellcheck and custom words. Then I paste into RW and scan entries. I want to do it all in RW.

Last edited by gamemasterbob; September 21st, 2015 at 07:25 PM.
gamemasterbob is offline   #44 Reply With Quote
gamemasterbob

Old September 21st, 2015, 07:49 PM
I was thinking...
Is it possible to add a function within the Link Scan that would search not only for existing links BUT for words that are SIMILAR or CLOSE? I realize that my reason for wanting a spellchecker is so I don't miss LINKS in the scan because of spelling. I want EVERY entry about an existing link to be recognized.

Once again my request is NOT so much spelling as it is I don't want to MISS LINKS. That's it.
:-)

RW rocks.
gamemasterbob is offline   #45 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old September 22nd, 2015, 12:33 PM
I really need a spellchecker that allows me to add words to the dictionary (which I realize is a pretty standard part of most of the good ones).
kbs666 is offline   #46 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old October 5th, 2015, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamemasterbob View Post
I was thinking...
Is it possible to add a function within the Link Scan that would search not only for existing links BUT for words that are SIMILAR or CLOSE? I realize that my reason for wanting a spellchecker is so I don't miss LINKS in the scan because of spelling. I want EVERY entry about an existing link to be recognized.

Once again my request is NOT so much spelling as it is I don't want to MISS LINKS. That's it.
:-)

RW rocks.
Well as noted earlier in this thread, I did provide a link to an external program that does what you are describing, without relying on LWD to divert from their current course....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen View Post
I agree with Gord.... the only need to implement a Spell Check is for "non-standard" wordings that exist in a fantasy / Sci-fi setting....
Implementation of this is a low priority in comparison to other elements on the work front for LWD.....
Just as RW is not intended to be a VTT, its not intended to replace your preferred word processor either.

You might find this free ware does what you need. I have tested it with in RW and it works fine....
Note, the default for the word list is the left shift key ,I being left handed find this abit annoying, so I changed it to the arrow down when wanting to view the list to choose from. As Gord has suggested, it also allows you to define your own words as well.

Tiny Spell>http://tinyspell.numerit.com/#download
DLG
Your Milage May Vary...
DLG

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #47 Reply With Quote
gamemasterbob

Old August 11th, 2016, 04:46 PM
Well it took me nearly a year but I checked back. I just installed tinySpell and problem solved. Thanks. I should have checked back sooner.
gamemasterbob is offline   #48 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old August 11th, 2016, 08:13 PM
I run Phrase Express on my computer. Whenever I find myself commonly misspelling a fantasy place name or NPC names, etc., I add it to Phrase Express to automatically change it to the correct spelling as I type. For me, an old-fashioned spell check that you have to run manually would not be something I use as there are already so many third-party tools that integrate with the OS and run in all applications, that application-specific spelling correction and other text macros are very low on the list of things I would like to see in RW.

That said, I wouldn't mind if they added the functionality either.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #49 Reply With Quote
wurzel

Old August 14th, 2016, 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
Spell checkers are the bane of the modern world, since in "the old days" we had to learn how to spell things correctly in the first place. ;-)
Absolutely YES. I wouldn't mind a spell checker if I could switch it off, however. The kids don't learn orthography at school anymore.

DM: Tol'Uluk - game system independent homebrew world (so far AD&D 2, D&D3.5, Fate, Pathfinder, D&D5)
Tools: RW, CC3+, CD3, DD3, HL
RL: Retired senior IT manager. Now just housewife, grandma and fantasy author.
wurzel is offline   #50 Reply With Quote