Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hubrice

Old February 26th, 2014, 11:19 AM
You can also view the idea of a "life-time service" as an investment for both the customer and LW.

LW receives a substantial boost in income upfront that they can use to build infrastructure, coding, etc and whatnot. This is similar to the idea behind the higher KS levels, get more money now to work with even if "in the long run" you lose money by giving away so much down the road. Is the quick burst in income worth lost sales down the road? Only LW can answer that.

Customers are investing a larger amount of money now, in the hopes that they will break even, or come out ahead down the road. But what if LW's business model changes, they get bought out, technology changes impact their servers, or they all win the lottery and decide to buy their own islands and retire? There is risk for the consumer.

Regardless I am looking forward to the public release. It is my hope that once I have the product, deciding to pay for a year or a lifetime upfront is a no-brainer.
Hubrice is offline   #51 Reply With Quote
Aleslosh

Old February 26th, 2014, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubrice View Post
Regardless I am looking forward to the public release. It is my hope that once I have the product, deciding to pay for a year or a lifetime upfront is a no-brainer.
When it all comes down to it, this is where I am at also. The final cost will be somewhat irrelevant compared to the perceived value I expect to have.
Aleslosh is offline   #52 Reply With Quote
daleperchn

Old February 27th, 2014, 06:24 PM
@Jaynay27:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaynay27 View Post
Not sure what you mean by 'playing around' or 'again'?
Sorry. It just seemed like you were playing around earlier in the posts, like when you said, "Hey no way! I paid for that lifetime/early access as a kickstarter only exclusive offer and no-one should be able to get lifetime access now, blah, blah, blah elitism etc.....just kidding.", so I wasn't sure if you were playing around this time or not.

And I was pretty much just playing around too with the two points that I made. Sort of a friendly rebuttal. I definitely don't want to start an argument or anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaynay27 View Post
One could read that this suggests they may offer lifetime subs at *lower* than top tier cloud access, for new customers, and reserve *top tier* lifetime access for the original backers.
If you weren't playing around, then this sort of made it sound like you're against lifetime subscriptions being offered at the highest levels for those of us who unfortunately missed the KS. I know you did a smiley and all, but from just reading a message, it sometimes makes it a little hard to tell a person's tone. I'm sorry if took it the wrong way. I know overall you seem pretty positive about it this...
daleperchn is offline   #53 Reply With Quote
Jaynay27

Old February 28th, 2014, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleperchn View Post
@Jaynay27:

Sorry. It just seemed like you were playing around earlier in the posts, like when you said, "Hey no way! I paid for that lifetime/early access as a kickstarter only exclusive offer and no-one should be able to get lifetime access now, blah, blah, blah elitism etc.....just kidding.", so I wasn't sure if you were playing around this time or not.

And I was pretty much just playing around too with the two points that I made. Sort of a friendly rebuttal. I definitely don't want to start an argument or anything!

If you weren't playing around, then this sort of made it sound like you're against lifetime subscriptions being offered at the highest levels for those of us who unfortunately missed the KS. I know you did a smiley and all, but from just reading a message, it sometimes makes it a little hard to tell a person's tone. I'm sorry if took it the wrong way. I know overall you seem pretty positive about it this...
That's cool man - I was having a bad day too and I took it badly...not your fault. So for what it is worth, sorry if my post tone was aggressive/defensive.

We are cool mate and I think we are on the same page regarding the lifetime fee/sub. My stance is the more the merrier, and hope LWD works out a way to help all you guys who missed the KS and have been waiting patiently for 1.0 release.
Jaynay27 is offline   #54 Reply With Quote
EclecticGamer

Old March 17th, 2014, 07:44 PM
I will say that personally as an Alpha Wolf backer I would be at least a little upset by this if they offered it at any price. This is not because I don't want other people to have it but I would feel like they lied to trick me into paying a lot of money upfront by saying that this was the only way to get lifetime access. I thought long and hard about whether or not it was worth putting up that much money.

I would only be so upset, and I'd get over it but I think it was be a slight image problem for LWD.
EclecticGamer is offline   #55 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old March 17th, 2014, 08:37 PM
Lone Wolf should absolutely be free to offer lifetime services of cloud, but like the others, I would also be annoyed if it was offered at a rate significantly less the the $250.00. You can make an argument that maybe you did the alpha for the early access, but maybe you did it for the cloud. In any case, if I felt that someone was getting the same service as me for less and i put money into a product that I couldnt see but took on faith, and they could see the product before deciding, I would feel my faith had been breached.

I of course feel bad for anyone who missed the kickstarter and would have taken part in it, but everyone has to have a certain amount of self-interest when they consider that amount of money.

just my two cents.

Last edited by mirtos; March 17th, 2014 at 08:43 PM.
mirtos is offline   #56 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old March 19th, 2014, 07:34 PM
It would depend on the price and my budget at the time, but I would be interested in it.
+1
ruhar is offline   #57 Reply With Quote
daleperchn

Old March 29th, 2014, 02:29 PM
Now that Realm Works has been officially released, maybe we'll receive more participation in this thread...
daleperchn is offline   #58 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old March 29th, 2014, 02:35 PM
Well, I think folks might want to see what they will really be getting with cloud service first, which for the moment only entails syncing your own realms. Maybe once Player View is up and we have the ability to share and/or purchase realms people will have a better idea of what the real value of it is.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #59 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 30th, 2014, 10:59 AM
There are NO IMMEDIATE PLANS on our part to introduce a lifetime license option. We very well could offer something like that at some point in the future, but it's not something we are actively considering. We have a lot on our plate right now, and figuring out how best to structure something like this would take our attention away from other things that we consider much higher priority to the overall success of the product.

Feel free to continue discussing this subject however you wish, since it's valuable for us to know what our users are thinking. However, please don't expect any announcements about this subject in the upcoming weeks.
rob is offline   #60 Reply With Quote