Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit

Notices

Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old December 9th, 2018, 04:21 PM
As per this topic, the Wiki is missing some information. Now I missed most of this my first time through, on account of that I was developing my own system instead of the Savage system, but I started another go-around and decided to document it.

Savage Worlds Walk-Through
First off, the link to the Savage Worlds game system no longer resolves. Fortunately, the mirror link works fine.

The First Steps
Nothing actually being done in this step, but they are important tips on how to set things up.

Develop Your Plan
Again, just informational, still important, although I don't think most people will understand the building blocks until they've implemented a system.

Initial Changes
Ah, finally changing code. This is all simple cutting and pasting. Nothing much to say here.

Traits
Getting into the meat of things. First off, the file you will be editing is "traits.str". I don't think that actually gets called out. Also, just cutting and pasting the code won't do you much good. You need to remove the Initialize code from Attributes, and the index number provided not only doesn't match what's in Attribute, but will clash with the index numbers of the existing eval scripts for Trait. I personally set it as index 1, and then renumbered the others accordingly. Adding trtDisplay is simple. "Calc trtDisplay" just requires you to again fix the eval index numbers. As has been noted by others, this does not, as it states, cause the Basic tab to display the correct value. In fact, since we aren't using trtDisplay anywhere, this change does nothing just yet, but by the end, of section, we'll have it displaying in most places, at least. The "Bonuses and Penalties" section has one minor pitfall for people who are just copying and pasting code. The text instructs you to create trtRoll and trtNoStack without giving code for it, although that should be fairly trivial, as with the following:
Code:
<field
  id="trtRoll"
  name="Roll Adjustment"
  type="derived">
  </field>

<field
  id="trtNoStack"
  name="Non-stacking Adjustment"
  type="derived">
  </field>
Then, adding the macros is simple (just note that it does have you back in definition.def), and you just have to replace the various incidents of trtFinal with trtDisplay. The list in the walkthrough does not mention out_custom.dat, but it's the same usage as with out_statblock, so it's harmless to change. Procedures.dat has six references, not four, with the first two in "dshrolls" and needing to be changed. The other instructions are correct. Although, in the end, tab_basic still does not show the correct values.

Last edited by Duggan; December 9th, 2018 at 06:52 PM.
Duggan is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Venger

Old March 3rd, 2020, 12:20 PM
Thank You, I will post questions here as I go through the tuts if I may
Venger is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Duggan

Old March 3rd, 2020, 06:24 PM
Well dang it... I was going to try to segue back into this, but it looks like all of my changes are local to another computer that I may not have access to anymore.
Duggan is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Duggan

Old March 4th, 2020, 08:29 PM
Ah, found it. And, well, realized that I'd accidentally started with a different sample system (There's a more elaborate one present on install), so I started again. And... messed up the Initial Changes slightly by not giving it a more meaningful name, but I'm sure people will pick up on it.

Attributes

Nothing fancy here. This step in the tutorial basically works right out of the box. Note that you will have to either look up the attribute information in the publicly available Savage Worlds documentation, or crib it from Lone Wolf's implementation.
Duggan is offline   #4 Reply With Quote