Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Shadowrun

Notices

Orudeon

Old November 6th, 2016, 10:05 AM
I'm giving my players the gift of custom weapons designed from the ground up just for them, but I ran into a problem. How do I make a new sub-type for Exotic Weapons (so it's a valid selection in the drop-down box when you add an exotic weapon in advancements) and how do I make the weapon scale with the custom exotic weapon skill?

I tried making a new exotic weapon skill by making a copy of Exotic Ranged Weapon but that didn't work. it wants me to pick which weapon anyway.

On the weapon end, I tried adding a new "Counts as Exotic Weapon" tag for it, but it scales off Pistols because I thought that's the Skill/Specialty/Range i needed to pick. So not only do I need the new skill to show up in the S/S/R window (I think) but I also need it to show up as a possible advancement AND show up as a "buyable" item that scales with it.
Orudeon is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 6th, 2016, 10:22 AM
Do you mean you want a new exotic weapon category like Exotic Ranged Weapons (lasers) that applies to several weapons?

If that's not what you're after, please clarify what you're trying to accomplish.
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Orudeon

Old November 6th, 2016, 10:24 AM
That's exactly what I want, new weapon category like. Exotic Ranged Weapon (tesla cannon) that applies to a custom tesla cannon weapon. Two types of firing modes, a small, weak pistol variant and a larger shotgun variant, if that matters.

Last edited by Orudeon; November 6th, 2016 at 12:04 PM.
Orudeon is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Orudeon

Old November 7th, 2016, 06:19 PM
I still haven't figured out how to do this x_x Does anyone have any tips to create a new type of exotic ranged weapon and make a weapon use that skill?
Orudeon is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Kiirnodel

Old November 8th, 2016, 12:00 AM
Well, I know it involves creating a "Helper Weapon" to serve as the placeholder for the exotic skill option, then creating the individual weapons as using the skill then associated with that helper. Take a look in the editor by making copies of things like Laser Weapons.

Only part I'm not sure how to do exactly is make that connection between the placeholder weapon and the skill option part...
Kiirnodel is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 8th, 2016, 07:57 AM
Kiirnodel's correct about the helper weapon, so I'll expand on the details. Start by making a copy of the laser helper, whose name is "Laser Weapons", and the Id is "wpLaser". As a note, "Lasers", wpHDLaser is a header for the weapon table - don't copy that.

All you need to do for that is change the name, set a new Id, and save it (oh, and change the comment on the right-hand side). Then use the "Test Now!" button at the top to add that item to the database.

Then, on your weapons for this category, in "Skill/Specialty/Range", select "Special Weapons", which is the category for exotic ranged weapons, and then in the next option down, "Counts as Exotic Weapon", choose the helper you created.
Mathias is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Kiirnodel

Old November 8th, 2016, 11:07 AM
Only reason I wasn't sure about that "Counts as..." was when I looked up the various Laser weapons in the editor, they have their own skill.

In the "Skill/Specialty/Range" selection, they are "Exotic Ranged Weapon (Laser Weapons)" so I wasn't sure if there was one more step that could to be taken to add that sort of tag for a new category of weapon, and then correspond it to the Helper item.
Kiirnodel is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 8th, 2016, 11:28 AM
Selecting "Exotic Ranged Weapon (laser weapons)" triggers scripts that apply the same tags as Special Weapons + Laser Weapons. The difference is the sorting, so that lasers sort in their own group, rather than sorting with the narcoject weapons and net guns and all the other ERWs.
Mathias is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Orudeon

Old November 8th, 2016, 02:03 PM
I got it working!

There's a slight cosmetic hiccup in that the equation used to calculate the dicepool shows only one additive but that's okay, it comes to the right conclusion anyway.

I guess I do this same thing with like, the helper for monofilament whip if I need it for custom melee weapons.

Thank you!
Orudeon is offline   #9 Reply With Quote