Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Shadowrun
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Senko

Old September 18th, 2016, 02:46 AM
I've been wrestling with this for awhile with no luck so I'm hoping someone can help me. Even if its just to point me to where I need to create a file although the more help the better such as what to link to so it'll work.

I basically just want to copy over the the astral project power to mystic adept for 1 power point cost while reducing the duration as per the 4th ed power.
Senko is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 18th, 2016, 07:53 AM
You don't say what you've already tried, or where exactly you're stuck, so I don't know which part of this you're asking for help with.
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Senko

Old September 18th, 2016, 04:35 PM
Sorry was thinking about a full reset to basics and getting any help advice I can.

What I want is basically an alternate mystic adept class that can astrally project if they purchase the power and gains free power points like an adept at creation.

The first thing I did was make a copy of the mystic adept class and change the descriptive text.
Then I found myself unable to work out how to add the adept power points on creation inspite of multiple attempts. So I went to just the astral projection power as I can add power points via the personal adjustments tab although its more fiddly.

So creating my mystic adept astral projection power I copied the astral perception one just ticking the astral projection instead of the astral perception one. Then added the text for the regular astral projection with different time limits.

Which is where I'm currently struggling. I can't find the actual astral projection power to compare and adjust the time limits or if there's something extra I should tick/add.

Last edited by Senko; September 18th, 2016 at 04:46 PM.
Senko is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 18th, 2016, 09:29 PM
I'm not aware of any astral projection powers - that's just a capability that magicians get.

Or do you mean the critter power named astral projection? Within the editor, that will be in the race grouping, critter power tab.
Mathias is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Kiirnodel

Old September 19th, 2016, 12:06 AM
That's just it Mathias, there isn't a power, he is wanting to create an adept power that allows the adept to Astrally Project like a Magician can. If I recall correctly, isn't it just a tag on the hero? So if you copied the Astral Perception adept power, take a look at the Tags, one of the should be Group Id: HeroQual, Tag Id: AtralPer. Just change that to Tag Id: AstralPro. And that should give your hero the "capability" of Astral Projection. You'll also need to do this for the RealmAvail tag.

Or, if you don't want to use the tags, like you mentioned you can do it in the interactive menus, just make sure you change both the Astral Access, and the Capabilities Added.

Now Senko, I do want to ask. Based on your description, you are basically wanting to make a variant of Mystic Adept that has entirely all of the benefits of being a Magician, as well as all of the benefits of an Adept (you mentioned even getting the free power points, no cost). So I have to ask, why? Doesn't that just make Mystic Adepts flat-out better than Magicians with no associated cost?
Kiirnodel is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Senko

Old September 19th, 2016, 07:58 AM
I see I'm looking for something that doesn't exist that would explain why I can't find it. I'll just modify the description a bit thanks

Yep it does and its not something I'd ever ask to use/allow in an actual game just some personal fun as I really hate the mystic adepts don't get astral projection rule.

As a means of balancing the class it just seems ridiculous to me as while there are some uses it seems such a minor thing to remove and say "its balanced". I know the class is expensive long term and in creation for the power points but I do feel that if your going to remove things for balance perception should have gone as well as possibly some restrictions on spells/powers you can take.

Still I'm not a designer, projection is just one of my preferred abilities and frankly why I'd never play a mystic adept in a game but for offline fun I'll create a mage with full access to all the aspects of magic just like I create high karma characters to see how things look.
Senko is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Kiirnodel

Old September 19th, 2016, 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senko View Post
Yep it does and its not something I'd ever ask to use/allow in an actual game just some personal fun as I really hate the mystic adepts don't get astral projection rule.

As a means of balancing the class it just seems ridiculous to me as while there are some uses it seems such a minor thing to remove and say "its balanced". I know the class is expensive long term and in creation for the power points but I do feel that if your going to remove things for balance perception should have gone as well as possibly some restrictions on spells/powers you can take.
Not looking to argue about this, but I just wanted to note a couple things on the topic. I'm just not sure why you seem to dislike mystic adepts not gaining access to astral projection so much. Firstly, it isn't like they are being excluded from something most others get. Only Full Magicians have the ability to Astrally Project. With 5th Edition removing most of the limits that are on Mystic Adepts, it is actually now the only thing that sets Magicians apart. This is likely why you've probably been seeing a lot of strong opinions against giving them access to it. Letting Mystic Adepts project, effectively makes the normal Magician a "less powerful Mystic Adept." Which isn't the point of the Mystic Adept.

You also seem to keep arguing that they "removed" astral projection from Mystic Adepts as a balancing tool, which just isn't true. They never had the ability to astrally project. From an in setting perspective, Mystic Adepts have become more common through some of the edition changes (which in turn caused a variety of setting growths and evolutions). They started out as an off-shoot of Adept, ones who learned to channel their magic in a way similar to how Magicians do. Adepts could always learn how to Astrally Perceive, just like Mystic Adepts still can (they don't get it for free, it still costs them a power point). So removing that would have been a "nerf" to what they had. Free access to astral projection has always been the magician's domain, and just because Mystic Adepts are approaching closer in power to the Magician, doesn't mean that they should have easy access to all of their toys.
Kiirnodel is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Senko

Old September 20th, 2016, 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiirnodel View Post
Not looking to argue about this, but I just wanted to note a couple things on the topic. I'm just not sure why you seem to dislike mystic adepts not gaining access to astral projection so much. Firstly, it isn't like they are being excluded from something most others get. Only Full Magicians have the ability to Astrally Project. With 5th Edition removing most of the limits that are on Mystic Adepts, it is actually now the only thing that sets Magicians apart. This is likely why you've probably been seeing a lot of strong opinions against giving them access to it. Letting Mystic Adepts project, effectively makes the normal Magician a "less powerful Mystic Adept." Which isn't the point of the Mystic Adept.

You also seem to keep arguing that they "removed" astral projection from Mystic Adepts as a balancing tool, which just isn't true. They never had the ability to astrally project. From an in setting perspective, Mystic Adepts have become more common through some of the edition changes (which in turn caused a variety of setting growths and evolutions). They started out as an off-shoot of Adept, ones who learned to channel their magic in a way similar to how Magicians do. Adepts could always learn how to Astrally Perceive, just like Mystic Adepts still can (they don't get it for free, it still costs them a power point). So removing that would have been a "nerf" to what they had. Free access to astral projection has always been the magician's domain, and just because Mystic Adepts are approaching closer in power to the Magician, doesn't mean that they should have easy access to all of their toys.
With regards to the Astral projection it is purely personal taste thing not a mechanical one beyond there not being a balancing argument for its restriction which would make more sense to me. I'm not arguing they lost something they had, I'm saying for me personally having the only difference between them and magicians being the lack of astral projection makes no sense, see my above post that if I were balancing the mystic adept I'd have put more restrictions on them not less and given the way they read in 5th ed (which is all I really have experience with) they are meant to be a fusion of mage and adept. Give me a mechanical reason for why its not included and that's fine, give me a good detailed fluff explanation of why they can't do it and I can accept it. However this is not about creating something for a game its about my enjoyment, in private and affecting no one else. Like how with many computer games people create mods to enhance their enjoyment (simpsons doom, morrowind housing mods, baldurs gate combat changes etc).

Its what I do to amuse myself, I spend hours crafting different characters just because I can some are insanely high karma expenses, some are made with normal creation rules only but are designed to not be a runner or to be someone in our real world e.g. a mage in our world/time so no weapons, no combat spells, no corporate SIN's and so on. For this one I want to make a character for a world where the mystic adept has full access to all magical powers. Tommorow I may want to make an equivilent of one of the agents in various TV crime scene shows e.g. investigative skills, some computer skills and some pistol skills.

On a side note I did have an ability pointed out from 4th ed that did allow mystic adepts to astrally project albeit at much shorter times. So at some point they could do it if they spent the points for it.

Please note that this is again NOT intended for use in any game houseruled or not its just for my own enjoyment and to make it with herolab I need to add this ability. Hence why I'm posting here to ask how to do it with herolabs creation rules not in the shadowrun forums as a houserule.

Last edited by Senko; September 20th, 2016 at 04:38 PM.
Senko is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
coyoteNZ

Old October 6th, 2016, 12:43 PM
Mystic adept and a potion; problem solved
coyoteNZ is offline   #9 Reply With Quote