Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

Ambush

Old April 24th, 2019, 11:38 AM
I've got some new players that I print out sheets for. In order to make their lives easier, I'm making mine more difficult. I want to add Claws (Primal Savagery) to their attacks. I've tried copying both Dagger and Spell attack, but neither gets me where I need to go.

Problem 1: The "weapon" shows up under Martial Ranged Weapon. I'm assuming that this category is something that the program decides based on the Proficiency Required field. Ultimately, I would LOVE to group effects like this on their own. Is it possible to set a category, or do I have to move the proficiency back to Simple to get it out of there?

Problem 2: Is it just me, or does the weapon selector modal use the Fixed Range Dam as the display value?

Problem 3: This is a stretch goal for sure, but I'll throw it out there. Instead of having to create a new version of this weapon for every 5 levels, does anyone have a script to force the cantrip scaling damage?

DM, exRealmWorker, Character Sheet Hacker, Gamer
Ambush is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 24th, 2019, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambush View Post
I've got some new players that I print out sheets for. In order to make their lives easier, I'm making mine more difficult. I want to add Claws (Primal Savagery) to their attacks. I've tried copying both Dagger and Spell attack, but neither gets me where I need to go.

Problem 1: The "weapon" shows up under Martial Ranged Weapon. I'm assuming that this category is something that the program decides based on the Proficiency Required field. Ultimately, I would LOVE to group effects like this on their own. Is it possible to set a category, or do I have to move the proficiency back to Simple to get it out of there?

Problem 2: Is it just me, or does the weapon selector modal use the Fixed Range Dam as the display value?

Problem 3: This is a stretch goal for sure, but I'll throw it out there. Instead of having to create a new version of this weapon for every 5 levels, does anyone have a script to force the cantrip scaling damage?
You can write a script that scales damage with level, but do be careful which spells you implement it with... Eldritch Blast and other spells that fire single beams at higher level do not scale with level, they just give you additional attacks...

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old April 24th, 2019, 05:16 PM
Quote:
I don't believe wCategory is dynamic to allow that, but you have a different issue here that's really happening. If you don't set a weapon proficiency (i.e. leave it at -None-) what is happening is that it is simply being put at the end of the list of all weapons, which just happens to be after normal weapons (the last category being Martial Ranged) but before magic weapons, and -None- doesn't have a header. What you *can* do is create a new "header" item for things that don't require a proficiency. On the weapon tab of the editor, do a new (copy) and type in "Martial" and you'll see a "thing" with an ID of wHdrMartM - give your copy a name of "No Proficiency Required", a new ID, and set the proficiency required to -None-, save and test.

Any new items that don't require the Simple/Martial Ranged/Melee will now appear under this new header.

Quote:
Not sure what you're asking, would need a better example of what you're seeing. In the Spell Attack "thing", there are two fields that are set to that text, you can put what you want there.

Quote:
You can try this in a script. Post-levels 10000 on timing:

if number of dice change:

if #totallevelcount[] >= 5 then
field[wDieCount].value += 1
endif

if die type changes (in this example to a d8):
if #totallevelcount[] >= 5 then
field[wDieSize].value = 8
endif

The problems here are that I'm just giving you an example that says if the total character's levels are 5 or above, do something. A problem that I can point out here is that multi-classing will throw off your calculations and trying to figure out which spellcasting class is using this spell will be a P.I.T.A. if you want 100% accurate calculations.
dungeonguru is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Fenris447

Old April 25th, 2019, 05:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dungeonguru View Post
The problems here are that I'm just giving you an example that says if the total character's levels are 5 or above, do something. A problem that I can point out here is that multi-classing will throw off your calculations and trying to figure out which spellcasting class is using this spell will be a P.I.T.A. if you want 100% accurate calculations.
I think OP should be okay. IIRC, cantrips are one of the few things in 5e to scale entirely with total level, agnostic of levels in particular classes.

Found an issue with or have a suggestion for the 5e Community Pack? Please post it here at our GitHub.

Feel free to stop by the Lone Wolf Development Subreddit, for discussion of any and all LWD products and community efforts!
Fenris447 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old April 25th, 2019, 07:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris447 View Post
I think OP should be okay. IIRC, cantrips are one of the few things in 5e to scale entirely with total level, agnostic of levels in particular classes.
Yeah, but if you want to script anything that uses the "spellcasting ability" it's not clear which tag you'll want to play with for the attack and damage bonuses.

Like if a cantrip at the race level states specifically, "Constitution is your spellcasting ability when casting this cantrip." You might want to look at putting the override tags on the "weapon" like:

DamageOver.aCON
MelAttOver.aCON
RanAttOver.aCON

These tags are borrowed from the Pathfinder code - they don't always work, but when they do it is very convenient. Last time I used them, they worked but haven't tested it in a couple of patch cycles. It's nice to see a ranged spell attack using the correct stat.

I was thinking though you might have a dual spellcaster that has one stat that would be preferential over the other. It might just be easier to check to see if you have any casting levels and grab the spellcasting stats and assign the Option tags for damage and attack bonus (DamageOpt.X, MelAttOpt.X and RanAttOpt.X, where X is one of the stats like aCON).

If that makes sense.
dungeonguru is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old April 24th, 2019, 07:54 PM
You might try using the Spell attack weapon and the Spell Attack Adj adjustment to change its name and give it damage.

You change the Spell Name to the cantrip name (I usually leave a space in front so it shows up at the top) and then add the damage (ie: 2d8 acid).

Watch your back, Conserve your ammo,
and NEVER cut a deal with a dragon!
Mergon is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Ambush

Old April 28th, 2019, 02:10 PM
sorry for the lack of reply to all the good responses, it's been a crazy weekend.

@dungeonguru - thanks for the scripts, i'm going to try to make those tonight, if i can finish my game prep for tomorrow. i'll let you know how it goes. as far as the problem 2 goes, i'd have to upload a picture, i think, to have it make sense.

as far as the spellcasting ability goes, the spell attack seems to figure out what the right attribute is, so that should be fine for the attack. there's only a couple of cantrips that add spellcasting ability damage (green flame blade and magic stone are the only two i'm aware of), but i'm thinking that if i look at the attack bonus on Spell Attack, it might help point me in the right direction.

DM, exRealmWorker, Character Sheet Hacker, Gamer
Ambush is offline   #7 Reply With Quote