Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Exmortis

Old June 7th, 2018, 03:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblakai View Post
I think you may have missed this part of BJ's post:

This is why RW took the back seat for a while, they didn't have the devs, HL and HLO pay the bills, RW won't pay the bills until the CM is out and that is waiting on Paizo.
I didn't miss it, its implication is that Paizo was not the road block as we were told. I just wanted someone else to bring it up, as I have been nothing but negative for some time here...

Hard to be positive about RW.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #451 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old June 7th, 2018, 06:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
I didn't miss it, its implication is that Paizo was not the road block as we were told. I just wanted someone else to bring it up, as I have been nothing but negative for some time here...

Hard to be positive about RW.
I don't think we missed that dev turnover was also a big part of the problem instead of just Paizo API issues but I promised to step away as long as the page that promised ready made content was removed - and it was. I think the biggest negative for me at this point are the personal attacks by the "crusaders" that will tout an excuse for LW while tearing down anyone complaining. I'm not going to say anything negative about RW or the time delays anymore, just set my reminder to August 2 (Gencon) before I check back for any forward motion.

For the record LW must be supported by HLC, HLO doesn't pay any bills until they start charging for it although it might drive some sales to HLC in the meantime by people thinking that they'll get a discount for the new product as an "upgrade". Same for the free cloud for the realms created, that hardware doesn't run for free so one positive is you get free storage for several Gigs of data right now. Take what you can get.
dungeonguru is offline   #452 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old June 7th, 2018, 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dungeonguru View Post
HLO doesn't pay any bills until they start charging for it....
They are charging for it: $35 for Starfinder (+3 months service), $15/6 months or $25/year for ongoing service, and there's a couple of add-on products you can buy. Whether it's bringing in enough to pay for its own ongoing development yet I have no idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dungeonguru View Post
Same for the free cloud for the realms created, that hardware doesn't run for free so one positive is you get free storage for several Gigs of data right now.
True, but storage is pretty cheap. If/when they do get the Content Market up and running, though, they'll start the timers again.

Parody is offline   #453 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old June 7th, 2018, 08:23 AM
I have no idea what service they use for their cloud storage but storage is unbelievably cheap. Microsoft will literally give you a Azure account for a year for free, below certain usage thresholds.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #454 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old June 7th, 2018, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
They are charging for it: $35 for Starfinder (+3 months service), $15/6 months or $25/year for ongoing service, and there's a couple of add-on products you can buy. Whether it's bringing in enough to pay for its own ongoing development yet I have no idea.
I missed that - but then again I'm not interested until they announce another game system beyond Starfinder that I'm involved enough in to want to join in on.

Honestly, historically, non-IP sci-fi games have been niche and small market. Even the established universe products seem to have a revolving door on publishers, versions and lifetimes - how many Star Wars version have come out so far? Which Traveller version is your favorite?

According to Roll20's Q4 Orr Report for 2017, around 1% of games and gamers are playing Starfinder although the game did only release in August 2017 and they say that it's increasing in popularity.

Still if only 1% of one of the most popular VTTs is playing a game, I can't imagine it's a huge number for the rest of the world either.

Then again, HLC has the market cornered for Pathfinder 1 and HLO will likely lead the market for PF2 when PF2 stops playtesting. If they could only secure a full 5e license they'd smack down dndbeyond because that product needs some severe loving before it compares to LW's polish.

Last edited by dungeonguru; June 7th, 2018 at 11:07 AM.
dungeonguru is offline   #455 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old June 7th, 2018, 11:07 AM
the only thing dndbeyond has going for it is that exclusive license.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #456 Reply With Quote
Lkj

Old June 7th, 2018, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
the only thing dndbeyond has going for it is that exclusive license.
I think we'll just have to agree to disagree about the quality of DDB. I find it to be a stellar rules reference, and a great way to make a character. Though I'll agree it doesn't have campaign management tools yet (and so would the devs)/

But the license is not exclusive. Fantasy Grounds and Roll20 both have licenses. Both have a way to reference rules. And Roll20 has just rolled out the first look at a character generator. DDB aren't the only game in town. But for rules reference and character generation, I'd say they are the best of the licensed three.

AD
Lkj is offline   #457 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old June 7th, 2018, 11:52 AM
Actually dndbeyond does have an exclusive license. That's why they call themselves the official digital toolset of D&D. Everyone else uses the SRD.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #458 Reply With Quote
Lkj

Old June 7th, 2018, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Actually dndbeyond does have an exclusive license. That's why they call themselves the official digital toolset of D&D. Everyone else uses the SRD.
That is not correct. Fantasy Grounds and Roll20 both sell electronic versions of the Players' Handbook, adventures, etc. They are absolutely not just using the SRD. DDB does have the right to call themselves the 'official' toolset. But their license is not exclusive.

Look here:

https://marketplace.roll20.net/brows...s-of-the-coast

And here:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store...ecore=1&sort=1

Both Roll20 and FG have a license, and they are selling licensed material.

AD
Lkj is offline   #459 Reply With Quote
Lkj

Old June 7th, 2018, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Also, they don't call themselves 'the' official toolset. The site says:

'An official toolset for . . .'

AD
Lkj is offline   #460 Reply With Quote