Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Bidmaron

Old January 18th, 2018, 11:31 AM
With you acenoid. I have hero lab offline. We will see how it goes
Bidmaron is offline   #251 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old January 18th, 2018, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acenoid View Post
but what is the big selling point of this online functionality, that I cannot have offline?
For me it's the following:
* Can access characters from any machine
* Can access characters from anywhere
* Can access characters from any device
* Can access my players characters from anywhere
* Can see up to date sheets for my players instantly without needing to chase them for updates

And primarily the reason I'll pay a sub is for point 3 and point 5.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #252 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old January 18th, 2018, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
* Can see up to date sheets for my players instantly without needing to chase them for updates

I am really looking forward to point 5, especially if it is integrated into the tactical console and I can apply buffs/debuffs on the fly to their live character.
Toblakai is offline   #253 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 18th, 2018, 01:33 PM
Quote:

Most of that was already available simply by storing you .por files in a cloud storage service like Dropbox. The only thing HLOL is giving anyone is Android device capability and LWD's decision to only support Starfinder there.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #254 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old January 18th, 2018, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
Most of that was already available simply by storing you .por files in a cloud storage service like Dropbox. The only thing HLOL is giving anyone is Android device capability and LWD's decision to only support Starfinder there.
Exactly....
and to add..... unless your group is always "meeting/ playing online" in order to play any RPG Herolab supports, its not like even in "worst cased scenarios" you wont see each other face to face. That method has worked well for 40+ years

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #255 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old January 18th, 2018, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
You are forgetting the fact that to use a .por file on a computer Herolab needs to be installed. So if I want to play around with a character concept at work on a lunch hour or on business trip I need to purchase another license for hero lab.

One of the real nice benefits of HLO is untying you from archaic licensing model that the desktop app has, and you no longer have to worry about that OS upgrade breaking your install just before the weekend.
Toblakai is offline   #256 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old January 18th, 2018, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblakai View Post
you no longer have to worry about that OS upgrade breaking your install just before the weekend.
But you do have to worry about an application update on the web server which breaks the app for EVERYBODY for the weekend.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #257 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old January 18th, 2018, 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
But you do have to worry about an application update on the web server which breaks the app for EVERYBODY for the weekend.
Don't forget to worry about Vogons building an interstellar highway too.
Toblakai is offline   #258 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old January 18th, 2018, 02:54 PM
Quote:

Alright I can see that if you are travelling & changing machines a lot HLO might be a good & comfortable choice for you. Like others said, I suppose it is also possible with an offline program to accomplish most of these points - unlesss the software publisher doesn't impose other restrictions on the end user.

Well I hope the trend will go to more consumer choice again one day. I like to be the "owner" of my electronical device and being forced into the cloud I no longer feel like that. It's always good to have the option!

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #259 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 18th, 2018, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblakai View Post
You are forgetting the fact that to use a .por file on a computer Herolab needs to be installed. So if I want to play around with a character concept at work on a lunch hour or on business trip I need to purchase another license for hero lab.

One of the real nice benefits of HLO is untying you from archaic licensing model that the desktop app has, and you no longer have to worry about that OS upgrade breaking your install just before the weekend.
?

HL comes with 2 licenses. I have it installed on my desktop and on my laptop.

I have never had an OS upgrade break HL on my laptop.

I agree there might be some advantages to HLOL, eventually, but I doubt they are worth the time, effort and delays of other projects LWD is causing themselves right now. This strikes me as especially true since they are not taking the opportunity to implement a real scripting language.

They would be better served from a PR sense getting the CM deployed and then dealing with HLOL after they had that done.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #260 Reply With Quote