Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

John
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 14th, 2013, 10:09 AM
We've officially partnered with the Gnomes over at Gnome Stew. After they got to see Realm Works in action last week, they wanted to be a part of what we're doing. So we worked out the details and made it happen. This has allowed us to provide even more benefit to Backers of the Realm Works Kickstarter.

Who are these illustrious Gnomes? They certainly aren't your normal garden variety gnomes. They're behind the most widely read game mastering blog on the planet. In addition to the sage advice they offer every day on their website, the Gnomes have published three invaluable resource books for GMs through Engine Publishing. We're thrilled to announce that we’re bringing the content of all three of these incredible books to Realm Works, fully integrated for optimum usefulness!

But we're not stopping there. With the hearty endorsement of the Gnomes, we're going to provide the content from these three books at no extra cost to Kickstarter Backers! The Backer level you choose determines exactly how much free content you’ll get. All of this content will be sold separately once Realm Works launches, but our backers can get it for free. Here's a run-down of what you can get:

1. Never Unprepared: The Complete Game Master’s Guide to Prep. From award-winning author Phil Vecchione, this guide will help you prepare for games faster, avoid common pitfalls, and have more fun in the process. Described as “Phil Vechionne’s epic rock ballad to game prep”, we’ll be weaving this meaty treatise into Realm Works, allowing you to leverage the wisdom therein like never before.

All Backers who choose the Pack Member ($35 pledge) or higher reward tier will receive the material from Never Unprepared (a $9.95 value) fully integrated into Realm Works and absolutely free!

2. Masks: 1,000 Memorable NPCs for Any Roleplaying Game. This is the ultimate NPC resource written by the award-winning authors of Gnome Stew. In fact, Masks won the 2012 Gold ENnie Award for Best Aid/Accessory, and was also nominated for Product of the Year. Within this weighty tome, you’ll find NPCs for fantasy, science fiction and modern games, all easily adaptable to any genre and any RPG, just like Realm Works! Every one of these NPCs will be re-created within Realm Works and available for instant use within your campaigns. Each NPC has a role and specific traits, so you’ll be able to quickly locate exactly what you need through Realm Works' powerful search capabilities.

All Backers who choose the Pack Hunter ($50 pledge) or higher reward tier will receive all 1,000 NPCs from Masks (a $16.95 value) fully integrated into Realm Works at no charge!

3. Eureka: 501 Adventure Plots to Inspire Game Masters. Written by nine veteran game masters, all authors on Gnome Stew, Eureka is more than simple adventure seeds. As you know, adventure hooks alone don’t give you much to work with, but fully developed adventures can be hard to personalize and fit into an on-going game. Eureka strikes a great middle ground, providing the main ingredients and letting you decide how to prepare them. This highly regarded material includes plot hooks to draw your players into the adventure, as well as encounters to flesh them out.

Eureka contains plots for fantasy, science fiction and horror games and they are easily adaptable to multiple genres. We’re building these plots into Realm Works for you so you can quickly tailor them to your purposes and seamlessly weave them into your campaign. Each plot will be tagged with suitable keywords, such as “intrigue”, “exploration”, “combat-heavy”, and many more. Consequently, it will be easy to find what you need and leverage it within Realm Works.

All Backers who choose the Timber Wolf ($65 pledge) or higher reward tier will receive all 501 plots from Eureka (a $16.95 value) fully integrated into Realm Works for free!

We'll keep you updated on additional information throughout the remainder of the Kickstarter.
John is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Thrantor

Old February 14th, 2013, 11:04 AM
One idea I had is the ability to kind just randomly pull a Masks character out. That way when your party meets an NPC that they take an interest in and suddenly you need a real NPC not the window dressing you thought... you can pull out the Masks character, give him a name and save him as a "new NPC in the campaign."
Thrantor is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old February 14th, 2013, 02:06 PM
thats really great news! and i like Thrantor's idea a lot.

Last edited by mirtos; February 14th, 2013 at 02:14 PM.
mirtos is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 14th, 2013, 05:10 PM
Thrantor's idea is exactly the kind of thing we had in mind. Instead of digging an NPC out of the book and then having to migrate it all into your world, Realm Works makes things fast and easy. Pick a few tags to filter on, then choose one of the handful presented. Customize one or two things to tailor it for your campaign/setting/town/whatever and you're golden. That's the beauty of having it all integrated!
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Thrantor

Old February 15th, 2013, 06:44 AM
Hehe... as part of that, if there is a way to track the number of characters that inherit from a particular masks character... I'd like that. If I run a check and I've got 5 "likable rogue" characters... I know I'm relying entirely too much on one particular type of NPC.

But that is me. But the inheritance idea sounds like it fits with your ability to take something, clone it and then make changes separate from the original but still linked back to the original. I think it was mainly campaigns.
Thrantor is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
osrbaron

Old February 15th, 2013, 09:35 AM
This is a great addition to the rewards.

If you could just get Monte Cook to allow his Ptolus materials to be added to Realm Works, not only would it save me countless hours adding it myself, but I'd be willing to pay extra (already at Alpha) to get it so I could spend more time DMing than importing.
osrbaron is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Precisi

Old February 17th, 2013, 06:40 PM
Ooooh! You just talked me into a higher pledge!
Precisi is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Thrantor

Old February 18th, 2013, 10:37 AM
I'm now a fan of the Temple of Jing being included at 65$ and higher.
Thrantor is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
BoomerET

Send a message via ICQ to BoomerET Send a message via Yahoo to BoomerET Send a message via Skype™ to BoomerET

Old February 19th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Another thing that we can use, provided you own Hero Lab with the Pathfinder data files, is the NPC codex.

I just realized this, and am even more excited.

BoomerET

Castles & Crusades Ruleset for Hero Lab
Hero Lab (5E D&D) -> Fantasy Grounds Character Converter
BoomerET is offline   #9 Reply With Quote