Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

enrious

Old July 10th, 2013, 09:25 AM
I believe they've said that PDF export is on the list of features to be included, but not at the 1.0 release as the initial focus will be on GMs putting information in RW, then they will set it up so that GMs can get that information out in an offline way (as online is part of the 1.0 release).

The above is from what I've gathered reading some posts and statements. Purely speculative, but given the number of people who've requested PDF export, I would imagine it's one of the earlier planned enhancements to RW, but again that is purely my speculation.
enrious is offline   #101 Reply With Quote
Smolin

Old July 10th, 2013, 09:59 AM
Thanks Enrious! PDF export would be fantastic.

My group is far-flung, so we do a lot of stuff via email between real-life sessions. The idea of a tool that enables the GM to easily assemble and maintain a sort of "game codex" that players can access anytime, anywhere gives me goose bumps.
Smolin is offline   #102 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old July 10th, 2013, 01:39 PM
A must-have is the Pathfinder APs, modules, and (perhaps even more useful) the setting of Golarion itself. But beyond just having the data, have the ability to modify it as needed. Maybe even a "GM version" vs "Player version". The players know (or in some cases, believe) something that may or may not be true, but the GM part can have the entire truth (at least as far as that given instance of the campaign is concerned).
SeeleyOne is offline   #103 Reply With Quote
enrious

Old July 10th, 2013, 02:31 PM
If I understand you, you're saying saying that if official Golarion information was available as a official data pack or whatnot, a DM would need to be able to hide or alter that information to tailor it for their campaign?

(choosing what, if any of it to share with players is already built-in)

If that's what you mean, you may wish to repeat it over in the features and suggestions thread to make it easier for the devs to keep track of such things.
enrious is offline   #104 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 10th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeleyOne View Post
A must-have is the Pathfinder APs, modules, and (perhaps even more useful) the setting of Golarion itself. But beyond just having the data, have the ability to modify it as needed. Maybe even a "GM version" vs "Player version". The players know (or in some cases, believe) something that may or may not be true, but the GM part can have the entire truth (at least as far as that given instance of the campaign is concerned).
This is part-and-parcel to Realm Works. You can modify the content as you see fit, just like you can with the print/PDF versions. You also have complete control over what the players do/don't know.
rob is offline   #105 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old July 10th, 2013, 05:27 PM
Yeah, I remember the cloud and "fog of war" type thing. I thought that was used more in maps, I was not sure it if was available for encyclopedia-type knowledge.

We all know that very few players actually read the GM-handouts. However, if they could theoretically look up tidbits during play via a "Player Knowledge Base (for this campaign anyway)" wiki-like thing that would be better.

Thinking about that a bit further, I wonder how viable it could be to have it set to different players? Player A knows this and this, Player B knows that and something else. I have played (and ran) games where each player knows a bit more than other PCs about certain things. It can be a lot of fun, and a "fog of war" for each player would help out a lot. Maybe access to "the player base" plus special knowledge. Then again, special knowledge could just be provided to that player through other means (like special files or something).

I know that I am thinking big, but I have done a lot of gaming over the years and some features could be really fun for certain games.
SeeleyOne is offline   #106 Reply With Quote
enrious

Old July 10th, 2013, 05:36 PM
I'm sure there are better examples, but you can see how content (map and non-map) can be shared here - http://wolflair.com/index.php?contex...h_your_players

In the content, anything you see with a green dot is shared with players.

On a map, from what I gather, there's two types of fog of war (I think LW calls it "Fog of World"), by doing the kinda traditional sharing wherein you "clear" the black fog layer over areas they know about and the second is if you have pins (like google maps pins) on a map, you can selectively share those pins.

Player-specific sharing for content (no idea about maps) has been confirmed as a to-be-added feature after launch, as far as I know.

I'm not sure if you've seen it, but the Kickstarter video actually demonstrates the answers to a lot of your questions.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...campaign-tools

Also note the 3 additional videos also on the page.

Last edited by enrious; July 10th, 2013 at 06:34 PM.
enrious is offline   #107 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old July 10th, 2013, 06:00 PM
Thanks I watched the video when the Kickstarter began several months ago (and I pledged for it as Dire Wolf). But I had forgotten much of that.
SeeleyOne is offline   #108 Reply With Quote
enrious

Old July 10th, 2013, 06:39 PM
I sort of have this picture in my head of those of us awaiting the Early Release are gathered in a waiting lounge outside the main hall, watching an endless loop of that video.
enrious is offline   #109 Reply With Quote
weogarth

Old July 11th, 2013, 03:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrious View Post
I sort of have this picture in my head of those of us awaiting the Early Release are gathered in a waiting lounge outside the main hall, watching an endless loop of that video.
....and drooling like Pavlov's puppies....
weogarth is offline   #110 Reply With Quote