Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > Hero Lab Online Discussion

Notices

davidp
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 27th, 2018, 08:33 PM
Hi everyone, we're planning a short downtime Monday July 30 at 10am Pacific to roll out some changes to our account server and Hero Lab Online server in preparation for Gen Con. Read more here: http://forums.wolflair.com/showthrea...607#post268607
davidp is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
dballing

Old August 6th, 2018, 12:49 AM
At some point, there'll be a recognition that removing folks' ability to actually use their characters for four hours at a time is basically unacceptable, ... right?
dballing is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
jlong05
Volunteer Data File Author

Send a message via MSN to jlong05

Old August 6th, 2018, 06:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dballing View Post
At some point, there'll be a recognition that removing folks' ability to actually use their characters for four hours at a time is basically unacceptable, ... right?
probably not, as planned maintenance is a societal norm from all companies and access is limited during those times. Obviously, most companies try to limit this downtime, but planned maintenance would never be a valid argument for eliminating HLO.

It's here to stay, Embrace it.

The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
jlong05 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
dballing

Old August 6th, 2018, 07:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlong05 View Post
probably not, as planned maintenance is a societal norm from all companies and access is limited during those times. Obviously, most companies try to limit this downtime, but planned maintenance would never be a valid argument for eliminating HLO.

It's here to stay, Embrace it.
Not at all. Where things have been pushed to the cloud have been cloud services that don’t have prolonged maintenance windows. Amazon cloud doesn’t just go offline for four hours. Nor do Google Apps. Nor does Dropbox. Nor does literally any “cloud service” you can reasonably think of.

Where the offerings are pushed entirely into the cloud, the cloud based service is generally expected to always be up.
dballing is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
jlong05

Old August 6th, 2018, 07:40 AM
Quote:
Not at all. Where things have been pushed to the cloud have been cloud services that don’t have prolonged maintenance windows. Amazon cloud doesn’t just go offline for four hours. Nor do Google Apps. Nor does Dropbox. Nor does literally any “cloud service” you can reasonably think of.

Where the offerings are pushed entirely into the cloud, the cloud based service is generally expected to always be up.
I assure you all of those companies do in fact have regular maintenance that does impacts parts of their user base, but you are talking apples to oranges in comparison. Those companies are running a 9.9999+ uptime due to the criticality of their services and the companies that use them pay an enormous amount of money to maintain that level of stability/uptime.

No offence, but yours and my HLO characters are not critical enough for that expectation and I would never be willing to pay the costs for it to have that reliability.

I have been reading these forums for a bit now, and it seems that a large vocal portion believes that their ability to play a RPG requires a level of stability that even major US based companies such as Apple, Microsoft, Visa, etc... do not maintain themselves, but everyone seems to think a small company should just because Amazon does. BTW, Amazon does because the above named companies all use services Amazon provides, but pay big $$$$ for, and still those companies have regular maintenance.

Amazon <> LWD. They are not on the same playing field, league or even the same game.

jlong05 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
dballing

Old August 6th, 2018, 07:46 AM
Quote:
I assure you all of those companies do in fact have regular maintenance that does impacts parts of their user base,
PARTS, maybe, but infinitesimally small fractions thereof. But rarely, when it happens, and even less frequently for that length of time.

Quote:
No offence, but yours and my HLO characters are not critical enough for that expectation and I would never be willing to pay the costs for it to have that reliability.
Strangely enough, I pay very little for extremely reliable e-mail, document creation, file storage, etc.

Quote:
a level of stability that even major US based companies such as Apple, Microsoft, Visa, etc... do not maintain themselves,
Bull. If there was a four hour window where Visa transactions were down it'd be on the front page of every news outlet there is.

The point is that folks who are crying out that "everything is going to the cloud, deal with it" are also ignoring that "the cloud" services generally have MUCH better uptimes than HLO seems to have.

This is trying to both "have cake" and "eat cake" in moving to the cloud, but not providing the level of uptime expected of a cloud service.
dballing is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old August 6th, 2018, 01:47 PM
Quote:
The point is that folks who are crying out that "everything is going to the cloud, deal with it" are also ignoring that "the cloud" services generally have MUCH better uptimes than HLO seems to have.
This is one of my gripes about HLO too. However, we play on Tuesday evenings and one player's laptop keeps deciding to do the windows update at the start of the evening. He isn't on those occasions.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=58156) and Output tools (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=59981)
Farling is online now   #7 Reply With Quote
jlong05

Old August 6th, 2018, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Bull. If there was a four hour window where Visa transactions were down it'd be on the front page of every news outlet there is.
I never said a 4 hours maintenance window was the norm for those companies(you gave that number). My point is that ALL those business, including Credit Cards, have maintenance windows for periods of time as they conduct service. Some business may develop solutions to flip traffic when necessary, but this is not all and there are many transactional periods that maintenance just happens in. I work for the credit industry and assure you that is the case.

Hell, Amazon had a MAJOR outage on Amazon Prime day, due to poorly planned maintenance and stability. It happens.

Now some companies can 'queue' up transactions and batch process them, but again, you are placing the expectation of a financial transaction (and the system up-time) at the same level as your ability to update the weapon on a HLO character. Its NOT the same thing and to think it is with that expectation is the reason you are upset and will never be happy with the model.

That said, the model isn't going to go away, Its time to embrace it and move on instead of constantly whining about it in the forums. For every 1 negative post, there are 100s of happy players not experiencing a single issue.

If everyone that is complaining here were to invest significant money monthly, I bet LWD would be able to support said up-time, but why on earth would we want that.

Personally I am fine with having to deal with the occasional blip in service. I print out my characters as necessary and update when the system is online. For this, I am happy not having to pay more than a minor maintenance fee for the access online.

Thank you LWD for this.

jlong05 is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
flyteach

Old August 7th, 2018, 04:18 AM
David, in the future, please put the date in the topic title. This keeps bubbling up to the top of the forum list and it's not clear which Monday until one goes back and reads the whole thread.
flyteach is offline   #9 Reply With Quote