Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Azhrei

Old November 6th, 2017, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
That's all good and well, but we are not talking about crafting. We are talking about adding items to our character sheets. The purchase options in hero lab should not assume crafting over purchasing or finding items.
Exactly. Maybe he missed that...?

Thanks, SC! Now we just need to get LW to add something similar to the base product. Your Community Pack will work for me, but no one else at my table has it installed.
Azhrei is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old November 6th, 2017, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azhrei View Post
exactly. Maybe he missed that...?

Thanks, sc! Now we just need to get lw to add something similar to the base product. Your community pack will work for me, but no one else at my table has it installed.
ah-choo!
Aaron is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
CorzatTheGray

Old November 7th, 2017, 09:03 AM
gesundheit

Currently Playing: Pathfinder - Skull & Shackles AP
Current Character: Legendary Gunslinger 11
Currently DMing: D&D 5E - AAW Games A-Series
CorzatTheGray is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
Ualaa

Old November 7th, 2017, 09:33 PM
I'm glad Shadow has a work about, to increase the flexibility of the program.

Lonewolf has provided the means to add 50 of an arrow (or other type of ammunition), or 1 of a weapon, in exactly the same manner as the Core Rulebook allows you to create them.

Just because you cannot create 4 arrows at once, and always (at least according to RAW) create them in bunches of 50, doesn't mean that the vendor wouldn't be willing to sell smaller quantities of arrows, assuming you have a magic weapon vendor in town...
Arbitrate is an easy way to make money; if it costs you 500 to make 50, or 10 per piece, then you can sell them for 12 or 15 each, and make a large amount...

Having that added to the community package increases the flexibility which is great.
Ualaa is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Fuzzy

Old November 8th, 2017, 01:49 PM
I also think that ultimately, the 'best' use of Hero Lab is during the game as a live character sheet - in which case, it's great to have encounters preset with their loot, so that loot can be 'given' to the characters, which all reside in the same portfolio. It's not all that easy in actual use, because it means only one 'user' is maintaining the profile, but it does streamline things like this (in which case, the adding/selling to have a certain number of arrows on a given NPC allows that all to be done ahead of time).

I do wish it was better suited to this actual use - but I guess they are hoping HLO will be more in line with that use case - only time will tell I suppose.
Fuzzy is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
Ualaa

Old November 9th, 2017, 09:28 AM
I essentially use it like that, as far as loot goes.

I have a portfolio for the party.
And a portfolio for each encounter.

I import the adversary into the party folder, and run the combat.
At the end of the combat, the lootable treasure has also been placed on a placeholder monster within the adversary's portfolio (marked as a Party Ally, to not change the CR value of the enemies).
Anything the party wants to loot, I use the "give to hero" option.

And then delete the adversary from the player's portfolio.

My copy of the character sheets, is the official version.
I print the top two-three sheets, for each character, every session.
I print the more in depth abilities and powers, at character creation and when we hit 5th, 10th, 15th and 20th.
Ualaa is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
Azhrei

Old November 9th, 2017, 11:31 AM
That breaks down when the GM isn't the one tracking the loot for each PC, though.

Our GM uses HL for his NPCs and summoned creatures, but only has the PCs loaded for the purposes of rolling initiative and tracking combat.

It also doesn't help when a PC wants to buy an arrow that isn't a specific item (since specific items have their own entries).

Honestly -- how tough can it be...?
Azhrei is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
Fuzzy

Old November 9th, 2017, 11:18 PM
This biggest hurdle to the single hero lab portfolio for the whole party is when a player would prefer to actually use hero lab as a live character sheet, so that conditions and such are tracked and calculated cleanly.

I also genuinely thought about making 'encounter' files for specialty shops in a campaign before, but that would only really be convenient if the 'give to' could also work as a 'sell to' by offering the price boxes, and having money transferred the opposite direction.
Fuzzy is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
Azhrei

Old November 10th, 2017, 06:46 AM
This is how we do our gaming; each player has their laptop or iPad with them and all sheets are "live", as you say. On evenings when my PC is likely to level up, I have already done the leveling in a copy of the PC and when it's time, I just move any newly acquired gear from the old PC to the new one. I also need to do any long-lasting conditions (STR drain, for example) but our GM has us level up "between missions", so to speak, so we assume we're fully healed when we level up.

This works reasonably well, although the ideal situation would be to find some way to take the changes in the "leveled up" PC and apply them backwards to the original PC, creating a new hero in the process. That way I wouldn't need to move equipment, I wouldn't need to copy conditions or adjustments, and I wouldn't need to change equipped weapons or change prepared spells... I've thought about this a little bit and I don't see any practical way to do it.

For example, when I go from L4 to L5, I've considered running diff on the two XML documents and taking any new stuff from the L5 character to apply to the L4. That should catch skill points spent, stat increases, and so on. The conditions and adjustments wouldn't be in the L5 PC, but if I only add things to the L4 and don't subtract them, this would catch most of it. (Hm, I just had an idea about how to do this. I'll have to try it out when I get a chance. )
Azhrei is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
Ualaa

Old November 10th, 2017, 11:07 AM
I save the portfolio, of the characters prior to leveling up.
So I have their "old" version.

But I just apply the leveling up, to the current characters.
That way, the newly leveled up guy has all the conditions preserved, including buffs/debuffs, magic items equipped, conditions checked etc.

If for some reason you wanted a copy of the pre-level up, you can create a copy of the current hero, and then export it to a save location.

Am I missing something, that you're trying to accomplish?
Ualaa is offline   #30 Reply With Quote