Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

BlueTressym

Old March 6th, 2018, 09:45 AM
I have created a new spell but it keeps saying that information is missing. Searches have suggested that I need to add a source but I have no idea how to do this. In the editor, I can't see 'Source' as a listed thing to add. I added the name of the book in the 'Sources' part of the spell info but it says 'Critical information not found in data files 'Name of Book'' and it doesn't appear in the spell list for the classes it's meant for.

I am a complete novice at this and I find just attempting to use the editor incredibly frustrating. There are so many things I just look at and have no clue what they mean. If anyone knows a guide that doesn't assume any knowledge of what all these weird terms mean, could they please point me to it.
(By 'weird terms, I mean 'Eval Scripts', Bootstraps, Expr-reqs and things like 'Use "field[livename].text" for name" where I have no idea which to check. Also, things like I try to select a class and it's written twice; I don't know if I need one, or the other, or both or even why it's there twice)

I am also uncertain where I stand on issues of copyright. As an example, I am co-GMing a campaign that is set in the Forgotten Realms. Since this is a D&D setting rather than a Pathfinder one, none of the setting-specific info is available, so I have two problems, in essence:

How do I add these things into HeroLab and am I allowed to? (I Own copies of the sourcebooks in question)

PS: Also, what can I do about things that HeroLab has no reference for. There is a supplement for PF that adds two new Oracle mysteries but it isn't available on HeroLab. Do I have to try and add it in manually?
BlueTressym is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 6th, 2018, 10:53 AM
I would recommend reading the Glossary of Terms for the Editor. Then check out FAQ#2 for all the places to learn about the editor including YouTube videos. Welcome to the wonderful world of using the HL editor which will be the most frustrating and rewarding thing you can do with Hero Lab.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old March 6th, 2018, 10:54 AM
Its also really hard to give answers based on the little info you provided about the spell. How about you attach the user file you created here and I can take a quick look at it. See what I notice about how its setup. Hopefully that can get you started down the right path.

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
BlueTressym

Old March 6th, 2018, 01:44 PM
Thank you. I wasn't sure whether or not you'd need those details. Umm, please don't laugh at me too much...
Attached Files
File Type: email Book of Erotic Fantasy.user (3.3 KB, 8 views)
BlueTressym is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
BlueTressym

Old March 6th, 2018, 01:58 PM
Also, the following worked when I put it in and I was able to make the selections but since I loaded it today, has decided it doesn't want to work anymore
Attached Files
File Type: email Kerisalla Saehalbrin_copytemp.por (117.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: email custom_oracle_spsblue.user (6.2 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by BlueTressym; March 6th, 2018 at 01:58 PM. Reason: typo
BlueTressym is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old March 6th, 2018, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTressym View Post
Thank you. I wasn't sure whether or not you'd need those details. Umm, please don't laugh at me too much...
I added this user file. I went into Configure Your Hero (CTRL-K) and turned on the source "Book of XXX". I then added a level of cleric and could add the spell without issue.

My guess is that you are either using an existing character or forgot to turn on the source. My advice is do not save a character (ie .por file) when making new Things in the editor. Causes more issues than its worth.

After doing "Test Now" or restarting HL you forgot to turn on the source (ie Option) in the Configure Your Hero window. That is what a sources are like Books Source or OPTIONS that can be turned on/off.

Note: When pick "Classes" a spell can be used by. You don't want to pick Archetypes or Archetype Headers. You need to click on the little (?) and only pick Tag IDs that are are like cHelpXXX where XXX is the three letter abbreviation of the class. So cHelpClr is Cleric.

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old March 6th, 2018, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Also, the following worked when I put it in and I was able to make the selections but since I loaded it today, has decided it doesn't want to work anymore
The only issue I see with this one is that you set the source to "User Parent". This means if ANY user based source is turned on these Things will be displayed.

In example if you turn on ShadowChemosh Adjustments from the Community Pack these oracle options would display.

What exactly are you having issues with? If you are getting errors you can RIGHT click on the error window to COPY the message and paste it here.

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
BlueTressym

Old March 7th, 2018, 03:22 PM
Hi and thank you.

Re. the classes thing; that's exactly what I'm talking about when I say I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I haven't found anything that explains that sort of stuff to me. I also have no idea what 'User Parent' is. Tag IDs just aren't something I know how to interpret, so thank you.

I was using an existing character; are you saying that to add content, I need to start from scratch with a new character? I'm a bit confused.

Quote:
Errors were encountered when loading the saved portfolio! If you notice incorrect behaviors in your portfolio, please report it to the data file authors (you can contact them from the Help menu).

Critical information not found in data files: Source 'Book of Erotic Fantasy'
Critical information not found in data files: Source 'The Book of Erotic Fantasy'
Critical information not found in data files: Source 'Book of Erotic Fantasy'
Critical information not found in data files: Source 'The Book of Erotic Fantasy'
This error displayed when I opened the attached file (the one who has the spell in question, which was my first attempt at adding something into the game)

I've taken a picture to show the configuration (after checking in the 'Configure Hero') and it is ticked, and the spell is there, but I'm getting those errors. No idea what its problem is.

I'll try to have a look at the resources you've suggested.
Attached Files
File Type: email Lanarra Trithven.por (82.0 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by BlueTressym; March 7th, 2018 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Thought of something else to say
BlueTressym is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old March 7th, 2018, 04:48 PM
Quote:
I was using an existing character; are you saying that to add content, I need to start from scratch with a new character? I'm a bit confused.
No you can add new content to an existing character. But I would not do that until you are 100% done with the new content. Don't use characters or .por file while you are developing as it causes issues.

Based on the errors you see above the character got saved when you had named the source id something else. But that information was saved to the caharcter. In example you called it srcXXX but now you called it sourceXXX. The .por file saved the srcXXX and is looking for it.

For now open the character and go to "Portfolio->Strip Missing Sources". That should fix that .por file from complaining.

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
BlueTressym

Old March 9th, 2018, 10:19 AM
Thank you
BlueTressym is offline   #10 Reply With Quote