Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Silveras

Old December 23rd, 2018, 06:18 AM
Some words of warning...

Once you access the database with build 248 you cannot use older versions of RealmWorks with it, so if you have a problem, you cannot simply install v245, v246, or v247 and "downgrade" successfully. I am now about to start the laborious process of clearing my local Realm so I can sync it all down from the Server in order to return to v245.

There is going to be limited support over the holidays. If you cannot afford to be without RealmWorks during that time, it is probably wiser NOT to risk the upgrade.
Silveras is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old December 23rd, 2018, 08:04 AM
This version is much more stable than the 247 and all annoying problems are addressed. I managed to crash it once though, but failed to capture what the circumstance was.

The new improvements are small but significantly improve the process of formatting the data!

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.
Valyar is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old December 23rd, 2018, 09:27 AM
248 is an optional update. The new features are probably very nice, but because I cannot use v248 at all, that doesn't really matter.

And because I am also unable to easily back out the failed upgrade, my weekend stands a good chance of being ruined. A word of warning about that risk seems appropriate.

UPDATE: With a combination of reinstalling, restoring from a prior backup, and re-syncing after that ... I am now able to access my main Realm again in v245.
Silveras is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old December 23rd, 2018, 01:20 PM
@Silveras: What are the steps for restoring from a prior backup? I don't want to totally hose myself. I seem to remember EightBits having having a backup/restore problem in the past.

I assume replace the master realm with a backup realm from prior to the upgrade. Install v245. Synch to the web. Done. Is this correct?
AEIOU is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old December 23rd, 2018, 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
@Silveras: What are the steps for restoring from a prior backup? I don't want to totally hose myself. I seem to remember EightBits having having a backup/restore problem in the past.

I assume replace the master realm with a backup realm from prior to the upgrade. Install v245. Synch to the web. Done. Is this correct?
I recommend installing back to v245 first. One of the issues I ran into was the database was not usable under 245 if it had been accessed under v248. So if you do the restore under 248, it won't work to install v245 AFTER that.

RealmWorks makes automatic backups periodically according to your settings (maximum number, and location for the file). The easiest sequence is:
  • Start RealmWorks
  • Go to "Tools"
  • Select "Manage Database"
  • Select "Restore Database" Tab
  • Click "Restore Database" button
  • Select the backup to restore from -- it will show the date/time made.

That should have been enough in my case, but I did need to sync the data before I could use it. The first time I tried to access my main Realm, it crashed again. I did a "Sync All", and then tried the Realm again. This time, it went through the fix-ups and finally loaded.

Last edited by Silveras; December 23rd, 2018 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Added comment about installation of 245 first.
Silveras is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old December 23rd, 2018, 08:35 PM
Polygon reveal‽ Awesome! Upgrading now...

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old December 23rd, 2018, 08:48 PM
I guess because I was a beta user, I didn't have to do any further upgrades to my realms so this installation was quick.

The "Get Content to Import" button added to RealmWorks Home screen is promising. Fingers crossed that this means the Content Market really is going to materialize out of the vapors soon.

The "Reveal Selected Polygon" feature is a VERY welcome and handy feature. Especially for indoor constructed areas, it is much more convenient than using the Reveal brush.

The snippet tools on the Format ribbon are also very useful. The "snippet style" tool is an obvious tool that I'm glad to finally have in a convenient and obvious location in the interface, rather than hidden in context menus.

The tool to add space before every paragraph other than the first is far more useful than it immediately appears. It is a huge time saver when reformatting pasted content copied from other sources. It is one of those features I hadn't ever thought to ask for, but now that I've used it, I wonder how I lived without it.

Definitely a welcome update!

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old December 23rd, 2018, 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
The tool to add space before every paragraph other than the first is far more useful than it immediately appears. It is a huge time saver when reformatting pasted content copied from other sources. It is one of those features I hadn't ever thought to ask for, but now that I've used it, I wonder how I lived without it.
I had been doing this in every snippet manually by selecting all but the first paragraph. I haven't seen if this new tool correctly adjust the first paragraph of each new snippet to have to space before it if you break the snippet into multiple snippets.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old December 23rd, 2018, 11:39 PM
Splitting a snippet at paragraph that is formatted does not restore the default formatting when it becomes the first in the new snippet, but the new hotkey Ctrl+0 helps a lot now!!! It was such a pain to make things pretty with the laggign Alt+F followed by PH or whatever it was. Or clicking!

I am happy.

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.
Valyar is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
SteveT
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 24th, 2018, 02:03 PM
We released a new build today (249) to fix the crashes reported here by AEIOU and Silveras.

@AEIOU and @Silveras thank you for the crash reports as they were very helpful in fixing the problem, and very sorry for the inconvenience. A few topics in your realms contained edge cases that weren't present in any of the crash reports from the beta.
SteveT is offline   #20 Reply With Quote