Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

seelenamt

Old April 16th, 2015, 10:30 PM
Hi, I was just wondering if this is something anyone has tried to work on as a community project. The search function only turns up a few people asking similar questions.

If you have, were there any major issues you ran into? I've been thinking of giving it a shot myself but I have no experience with the authoring kit, so I'm hesitant to buy it.
seelenamt is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 17th, 2015, 08:16 AM
I have not seen any posts about someone starting work on this system.

I've got the books, and I've thought about the Hero Lab implications. For this one, you'd have to be really careful to make sure everything about a morph can be disabled automatically (so that the user only has to do one thing - uncheck the "using this morph" box, not un-check lots of different things each by themselves), because users are absolutely going to want to build a library on their characters of their favorite morphs (the ones they've got stored somewhere, plus their favorite morphs to rent), and then want to quickly switch from morph to morph.

But other than that, the functionality this needs isn't too different from what's in the skeleton files and savage worlds (plus, search this forum for a discussion of agent tabs - that's the mechanism Pathfinder uses to have a different tab for each class you add, and it's probably best to have a different tab for each morph the character has, even if you're only showing the one that's currently in use).

You can actually try the authoring kit in demo mode - just start creating the game as normal. Since it's demo mode, you won't be able to save or print, so you'll have to keep recreating your test characters from scratch, but at least you can get an idea of what's involved.

The authoring kit does have a learning curve to it, and the documentation's a bit skimpy, so you'll mostly be learning by finding examples and copying them, but it has been done. Also be aware that implementing all the rules and elements of an entire game system, one that takes hundreds of pages of text to explain, is not an overnight project.

I hope I didn't scare you off there, it would be great to have more people able to use the authoring kit, and having more completed game systems out there would be wonderful, but I also want you to have realistic expectations going in to the project.

Good luck on this, if you decide to take the project on. And if you have any problems, post them in this forum, and I or one of your fellow users will try to help you solve that issue.
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Kairos
Volunteer Data File Author

Old April 18th, 2015, 12:26 PM
EP has a dedicated character generator called Singularity. Too bad they didn't get with Hero Lab on that project.

Authoring Kit Rule Sets (now with functioning links!):

Qin: The Warring States

Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space

MEGS/BoH/DC Heroes (work in progress)
Kairos is offline   #3 Reply With Quote