Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Valyar

Old February 13th, 2021, 11:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
I have an question, anyone tried to just have the RW data reside on the cloud? Is there a way to redirect RWs file locations? Maybe I can just share it by loading it from my OneDrive.
Yes, there is a way to relocate RW files to different location on your computer using symbolic links, which is feature of the OS. It is completely transparent for the program. I have been running this setup for more than two years on the backup computer, which has spinning disks. The details are in this thread:
https://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=60738

Do not use any cloud storage for live data, the background synch mechanisms might cause issue with the data and RW is not designed to work this way. You can't share same DB between two instances, the only way is to make backup/resoters or use the "still working fine" online synchronization service.

Storing your backup file to online cloud storage is fine.

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.
Valyar is offline   #91 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old February 21st, 2021, 09:47 AM
Hey Rob, very glad to see that you are making a full recovery. Been a while since I've visited the forums, and just happened to notice this thread as I'm contemplating my only way to homebrew my 5E game, and that's HL (the competition has nothing on your innovative tool). Hope you are well my friend, take care of yourself.
Kendall-DM is offline   #92 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old February 25th, 2021, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valyar View Post
Yes, there is a way to relocate RW files to different location on your computer using symbolic links, which is feature of the OS. It is completely transparent for the program. I have been running this setup for more than two years on the backup computer, which has spinning disks. The details are in this thread:
https://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=60738

Do not use any cloud storage for live data, the background synch mechanisms might cause issue with the data and RW is not designed to work this way. You can't share same DB between two instances, the only way is to make backup/resoters or use the "still working fine" online synchronization service.

Storing your backup file to online cloud storage is fine.
Cloud for live data is what I was referring too, and thanks for the tip. constant backup the realm is not really feasible on my craptastic rural internet And Starlink isn't feasible here either, far to many trees, maybe once a few hundred more sats are in orbit. Some year we will join the 20th century lol

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #93 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old February 25th, 2021, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall-DM View Post
Hey Rob, very glad to see that you are making a full recovery. Been a while since I've visited the forums, and just happened to notice this thread as I'm contemplating my only way to homebrew my 5E game, and that's HL (the competition has nothing on your innovative tool). Hope you are well my friend, take care of yourself.
yeah no other product has near zero communication, no support....no future.

Yes I am in that boat, more hours then I care to admit now flushed like yesterdays dinner. So positive for so long... Those days are also gone.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #94 Reply With Quote
B_Douglass

Old March 20th, 2021, 03:53 AM
I have been away for a couple of years, and I am trying to get my digital gaming life back together.

I was working with someone from the support team (Ryan Furnas), but I still need to know which email address they have attached to my RealmsWorks account, and I haven't heard from him in 5 days.

Is there any way to get their attention, beyond sending a "hello?" message to support@wolflair.com ?

Thanks
B_Douglass is offline   #95 Reply With Quote
Eidolon

Old May 2nd, 2021, 08:26 PM
What a shame. I was going to reinstall RW, but thankfully I visited the forums after finding literally no one talking about it for the past year.

With the incredible growth of RPGs, especially D&D, the last 2-3 years, Realm Works should have been the most popular campaign management software. No other really comes close to the potential functionality. Instead, we get OneNote/Scrivener/WorldAnvil recommendations and tutorials.

Hopefully, this type of product will be produced to fruition by someone. There is certainly a demand for it. And based on this thread, it would be very difficult to rebound from such a lack of support and professionalism, let alone no real need for a subscription model (I can guarantee you that scared a lot of potential users away) for an installable app.

I wish Rob the best, but this should not have happened. And considering we are in the golden age of RPGs, it's such a missed opportunity for him.
Eidolon is offline   #96 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old May 2nd, 2021, 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Douglass View Post
Is there any way to get their attention, beyond sending a "hello?" message to support@wolflair.com ?

Thanks
Quickest way I've found is to create a post in the Hero Lab Online forums.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #97 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old May 4th, 2021, 04:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
I wish Rob the best, but this should not have happened. And considering we are in the golden age of RPGs, it's such a missed opportunity for him.
Also thanks to the pandemic many people discovered online play and the wonderful world of VTTs... therefore tools like RW and HL will be in demand.

I still have hope. I plan to express my support and desire for future of RW by renewing the cloud access... After all, the program is serving me extremely well.

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.
Valyar is offline   #98 Reply With Quote
Greebo

Old May 4th, 2021, 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valyar View Post
Also thanks to the pandemic many people discovered online play and the wonderful world of VTTs... therefore tools like RW and HL will be in demand.

I still have hope. I plan to express my support and desire for future of RW by renewing the cloud access... After all, the program is serving me extremely well.

I would love to see RW prosper and get further development, but I only have a small amount of fools hope left.

Mostly, I am still here because I did not have the time to choose a sufficiently suitable replacement.

Supporting Calendar Campaigner

Tools: Realm Works, Campaign Cartographer 3+ and Add-ons, MapTools
Games: home brew world, Lord of the Rings (CODA), Shadowrun, Earthdawn
Greebo is offline   #99 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old May 5th, 2021, 06:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greebo View Post
Mostly, I am still here because I did not have the time to choose a sufficiently suitable replacement.
Same, I have been looking for alternatives, but haven't found anything suitable so far.

Has anyone tested Fantasia Archive? It's free, open source and in active development, so a lot of plus points here. Not quite sure about how the features (and the roadmap) compare to RW.
Github: https://github.com/Elvanos/fantasia-archive

Find my stuff on

_|_ F i c t i o n a l m a p s . c o m _|_ D r i v e t h r u R P G _|_
Merion is offline   #100 Reply With Quote