Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

tooley1chris

Old June 13th, 2012, 05:56 AM
Wondering if anyone is currently working on a RM clone?
tooley1chris is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
tooley1chris

Old June 15th, 2012, 08:50 AM
And all I heard was crickets....
tooley1chris is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Angela2013

Old June 15th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Chirp --- Chrip --- Chirp

Some days I don't know why I bother to chew through the restraints.
Angela2013 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old June 18th, 2012, 04:05 AM
lol, Rolemaster would be a hard system to create. A person would need to start from the very beginning with the authoring kit. It would be a huge effort, and with so few people playing it I'm not sure it would be worth the effort.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see it, but the effort required will scare most people away.

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
tooley1chris

Old June 19th, 2012, 08:58 AM
It seems ANY system is pretty hard to create.
I bought HeroLab with the intent of bringing my own custom RPG to life but sheesh! I remember using old Adventure Construction Set to do something similiar back on my COMMADOR. It was much simpler than this and that was 20 years ago! lol. I saw another thread offering $700 to incorporate their RPG to Hero Lab with no takers. Slight learning curve my butt! LOL
tooley1chris is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old June 20th, 2012, 08:50 AM
One thing you need to remember also is that the RPGs of today are alot more complicated than they were back in the day.

To make modifications to existing system arent too bad, but to create a whole new RPG from nothing does take a lot of effort. Even if you could copy an exising system and use it as a base, like a D20 system, it would be easier. Rolemaster is all d100 based and I dont think theres any existing system that uses a d100 yet.

That being said once you got past the d100 factor and into the actually game system, it should be too difficult. The whole system is based on skills and not feats. So once you get one skill in, its a matter of doing a lot of copying. Rolemaster would be a lot easier then some of the other systems out there.

For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
tooley1chris

Old June 21st, 2012, 06:01 AM
I would love to tackle adding a d100 system like MERP or RM but my scripting skills are lacking it appears...
I'm working on a d100 based game I designed awhile back sorta like the old FASA Trek and Morrowind combined. No classes or experience. All levels are skill raise based. But this has NOT been fun. LOL.
tooley1chris is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
tooley1chris

Old June 21st, 2012, 01:19 PM
Hey Weasel, I'd be happy to do all the data entry, attributes, skills, info, ect if YOU'D be willing to do up a rolemaster(d100) skeleton file set up...?
tooley1chris is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old June 22nd, 2012, 04:15 AM
Thanks, but I dont think I have the skill to do it. I looked into trying something like this awhile back and rapidally ran up against my level of expertise. Its just beyond me to get a new system really moving as well.

As far as I know only 1 game system has been created in HL, and that the Mondern system from Frodie.

Now I would love to see a lot more new systems created for the HL product, but the time needed to create such a stool, and the fact that there most likely isnt enough following for a specific system to warrent support, just doesnt make many projects viable. Even if you plan to use the system for an inhouse game only, the time to create and support the system would be huge.

I'm already way, way, way behind on doing demo videos for HL (due to family reasons), and I really want to work on the DragonStar system myself. This would be more of a labor of love than anything.

chiefweasel is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
thedarkelf007

Send a message via MSN to thedarkelf007 Send a message via Yahoo to thedarkelf007

Old June 24th, 2012, 08:24 PM
I'm working through the d6 star wars system rebuilding the files from the bottom up. Its given me an appreciation of the quality of the Hero Lab build that this is possible.

It's not an easy thing for a novice, but with 12 years working as a developer and understanding xml it is fairly straight forward and I have stumbled through a lot of issues and obtained some help here and there on the forums.

My only issue is time, I tried to help out the guy offering money to build one, but due to things outside my control I don't have a lot of free time especially when I'm earning what was offering in a day in my current contracts. And this hero lab work was estimated by me to be at least 3-4 months @ 4+ hrs a day. Just sorting out the design took me past 6 months and I was not able to finish it with about 20+ hrs put into it.

I am more than willing to walk someone through some of the basics in what they need to do and to answer questions here and there.

With my Star Wars system I have put in about 80-100+ hrs already and most of that is learning, testing and prototyping concepts that may or may not be the final build.

I have implemented the base character creation system, with options, expect equipment. There is still a lot of work to do, but feel free to check out the thread here SW RPG d6.

I expect to start working on this again in the next month.

Last edited by thedarkelf007; June 24th, 2012 at 08:28 PM.
thedarkelf007 is offline   #10 Reply With Quote