Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Dr_Automaton

Old February 14th, 2017, 05:30 AM
Are you sure about the "unlimited storage" bit? Everything we've seen so far suggests that the intent is to offer multiple tiers of service.
Dr_Automaton is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old February 14th, 2017, 12:45 PM
I think LWD has not decided on different tiers. I suppose the standard tier will have some size limitation included. I would prefer in general that the cloud would completely auto-sync (if configured to do so). Wouldn't it be much better if RW - while you entereing topic 2 - topic 1 is synced in the background to the cloud?

Recently bought a NAS and iam very satisfied with the syncing capabilities offered by the backup & file system options. Still not as intelligent as the dropbox sync but it offers versioning and I can see that it quickly syncs down my stuff

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old February 14th, 2017, 01:01 PM
It would be amazing if that occurred but that would require another rebuild of the back-end. Personally I agree the focus needs to be on functionality that people use to run their games for now.

Market Place > Web View > Journals > Calendars

Give the people the core functionality and then work on improving the way it works and the way it looks.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old February 14th, 2017, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
I cannot wait for this to begin. Frankly $50 for full back up, full sync features, and unlimited storage?

Cheap. at $4 a month, that's two coffees at the local Tim's, all you get from that is a free trip to the other cubicle.

I run RW on 4 systems, keeping them up to date would be a nightmare even with my OneDrive. Not only that I can work offline, and sync up another time. Great for those rainy crappie days at the lake when I work on RW.

RW offers far more then cable, and you sure cant get cable for $4 a month.
Cutting cable was one of the best decisions I made. Even after the amount I spend on HBO Now and other on-demand content, I the savings are still more than enough to pay for a lot of hobby material.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
mazzy

Old February 15th, 2017, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
Market Place > Web View > Journals > Calendars

Give the people the core functionality and then work on improving the way it works and the way it looks.
Hallelujah, praise Jeebus!!
mazzy is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 21st, 2017, 01:45 AM
The clock on server access (aka cloud service) will resume a little while after the Content Market goes live. It will resume and not restart. However, I'm pretty sure that it's only been a matter of weeks that have run off thus far, so even someone that started with six months should probably have over four months left.

We've definitely been telling everyone there will be multiple tiers from pretty much the beginning. We don't want anyone to be surprised if we introduce more than one. However, we'll initially only have one tier. That being said, it's probable that we'll need to add another (and perhaps a third) to better accommodate the outliers. We originally expected to be able to profile the space being used by everyone and come up with good profiles and thresholds for tiers. However, with the switch to the export/import mechanism as the way things are handled, some key variables have changed, so we need to get real data AFTER the Content Market launches. Once we have that data, we'll reassess everything and figure out how best to proceed. And we'll give everyone advance notice before we institute any changes.
rob is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old February 21st, 2017, 04:17 AM
Rob, what about the issue where realms are growing and you cannot free up unused records? Won't this ultimately cause everyone's storage to bloat? Especially if they do backups.
Bidmaron is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old February 21st, 2017, 04:22 AM
18.9 GB (20,322,807,808 bytes) and counting. The bloat is on my mind.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old February 21st, 2017, 04:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
However, I'm pretty sure that it's only been a matter of weeks that have run off thus far, so even someone that started with six months should probably have over four months left.
Obviously we don't know what the servers think, but LWD's messages have stated that those who owned RW before November 19, 2014 have used approximately 4˝ months of their Cloud Service time. (Cloud Service timers were started on November 19, 2014 and suspended on April 30, 2015.)

Last edited by Parody; April 20th, 2020 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Fixed links lost from website changes.
Parody is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old February 21st, 2017, 07:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
Rob, what about the issue where realms are growing and you cannot free up unused records? Won't this ultimately cause everyone's storage to bloat? Especially if they do backups.
Backups are local files on the machine where you use Realm Works. I would not expect them to affect the cloud storage at all.

Cloud service users can recover empty space, though it may be a time-consuming process for truly large realms. Unfortunately, I don't know of a process for those who do not have cloud service.

The process is to remove your local MASTER.realm database file and re-sync from the cloud. In my case, that shrunk my footprint from 16.7 GB to 1.3 GB.

The process steps
  1. Make sure your data is all sync'd to the cloud.
  2. Make sure you know what your password is (if you've chosen "remember my password")
  3. Close Realm Works if it is running.
  4. Find the MASTER.realm file.
  5. Move that file to another drive/location (for safety; you can delete it once the process is completed).
  6. Start Realm Works. You will be prompted to log in, and your saved password will be gone. When you log in, you will also be prompted as if this were a new installation.
  7. Realm Works creates a new, empty, MASTER.realm file where the old one was.
  8. After logging in, all Realms will need to be sync'd down from the server.
  9. Once completed, you can delete the old MASTER.realm file from wherever you moved it to.
Silveras is offline   #20 Reply With Quote