Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Kendall-DM
Spy

Old June 30th, 2011, 05:52 PM
The timing button is located to the bottom left of the scripting window. It allows you to run your script within the same phase/priority in the order of your choosing. Unfortunately, as I'm finding out more and more, there is a stumbling block. I have to name the script I want to run after, and I can't because it is a Component.BaseWep script that I don't have access to. Sigh. Still trying.
Kendall-DM is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 30th, 2011, 06:08 PM
That's not what the Timing button on the script window does.

It's so that if a script has been named (unfortunately, few of the scripts in d20 have been named), you can use the Timing to declare that this script must come before or after that named script in the phase/priority sequence.

All it will do is tell you if you made a mistake - it doesn't change the order of that script. It's designed to help during the process of building a new game system, and may not be as useful when adding content to a game system where you can't go into the structural files and alter the timing of the component scripts.

When creating a new game system, you'll often say "this can happen at phase X and priority Y", but later on, you find out that you need to know the result of that script earlier than you'd thought, or you find out it needs to run later, so you can incorporate something else - so, if you change the phase & priority of that script, a well set up network of before and afters will help you move around everything else that interacts with that script.
Mathias is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old June 30th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Ah, I see. Well, is there anyway to get scripts to run in a certain order? Currently I've got this running in Final/500000, but can't get the script between the BaseWep scripts

Component BaseWep: Eval Script #5 (this fills in the wDamageTbl).
Component BaseWep: Eval Script #6 (outputs the table damage indexed by wCurrEquip)
Thing rShadow: Eval Script #5 (this fills in the wDamageTbl with "1d6 Str" text)

I need it to script in the following order:

Component BaseWep: Eval Script #5
Thing rShadow: Eval Script #5
Component BaseWep: Eval Script #6

Any way to do that? Or to move Component BaseWep: Eval Script #6 to 500001?
Kendall-DM is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 30th, 2011, 06:54 PM
If more than one script runs at the same phase & priority, you can't control what order Hero Lab will run them in.

Rather than changing the timing to allow a hacked version of the damage adds, I'd rather just add an additional damage field that Hero Lab will append to whatever damage text it's generated. There's no chance of getting enough time in my schedule to add that before Gen Con, I'm sorry to say.
Mathias is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old June 30th, 2011, 07:00 PM
No problem Mathias, appreciate all that you do. I'm willing to just livename it to the attack type, it's no biggie. This was just a flight of fancy. I've finally given up on it and started figuring out a new headache, heh. Getting the Enlarge Spell to correctly determine damage for thrown weapons. Which I got to work, in a hackish way. For the most part, I get HL to do the things I want, but every now and again, I get a wild hair to try to perfect something and realize why I gave up working on it the first time around. LOL. Thanks for all the help!
Kendall-DM is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 30th, 2011, 07:07 PM
For enlarge, remember that even if you don't own it, you can open Pathfinder and look through its editor. I believe the Enlarge adjustment in Pathfinder is fully functional.
Mathias is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old June 30th, 2011, 08:15 PM
I've got it working. As for Pathfinder, I don't have the source file for it that I can tell. Just an empty folder.

Last edited by Kendall-DM; June 30th, 2011 at 08:21 PM.
Kendall-DM is offline   #17 Reply With Quote