Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 30th, 2016, 07:22 AM
What did you change on tab_basics? What does your code to display this field look like?
Mathias is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
Goreshade

Old August 30th, 2016, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
What did you change on tab_basics? What does your code to display this field look like?
I only changed the [trtFinal] to [trtDisplay] within the template as instructed.

Code:
  <template
    id="baTrtPick"
    name="Trait Pick"
    compset="Trait"
    marginhorz="16"
    marginvert="3">

<portal
      id="name"
      style="lblLeft"
      showinvalid="yes">
      <label>
        <labeltext><![CDATA[
          @text = field[name].text & ":"
          ]]></labeltext>
        </label>
      </portal>

<portal
      id="details"
      style="lblLeft">
      <label>
        <labeltext><![CDATA[
          @text = field[trtDisplay].text
          ]]></labeltext>
        </label>
      <mouseinfo><![CDATA[
        ~insert appropriate code to explain how the trait was derived
        @text = "???"
        ]]></mouseinfo>
      </portal>

<portal
      id="info"
      style="actInfo">
      <action
        action="info">
        </action>
      </portal>

<position><![CDATA[
      ~set up our height based on our tallest portal
      height = portal[info].height

~if this is a "sizing" calculation, we're done
      doneif (issizing <> 0)

~position our tallest portal at the top
      portal[info].top = 0

~center the other portals vertically
      perform portal[name].centervert
      perform portal[details].centervert

~position the info portal on the far right
      perform portal[info].alignedge[right,0]

~position the name on the left and give it some reasonable space
      portal[name].left = 0
      portal[name].width = 135

~position the details to the right of the name and the left of the info portal
      perform portal[details].alignrel[ltor,name,10]
      portal[details].width = portal[info].left - portal[details].left - 10
      ]]></position>

</template>
Copied straight from my file.
Goreshade is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 30th, 2016, 09:42 AM
The things you circled in red were not supposed to have been changed into dice displays at this step of the walk-through.

This page: http://hlkitwiki.wolflair.com/index....havior_(Savage) is where the size of the incrementer is changed, and this page near the end: http://hlkitwiki.wolflair.com/index...._Types_(Savage) is where the bitmaps to show them as dice are put in place.

The things that were changed by the code you posted I think are hidden under the floating window in your screenshot.
Mathias is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
Goreshade

Old August 30th, 2016, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
The things you circled in red were not supposed to have been changed into dice displays at this step of the walk-through.

This page: http://hlkitwiki.wolflair.com/index....havior_(Savage) is where the size of the incrementer is changed, and this page near the end: http://hlkitwiki.wolflair.com/index...._Types_(Savage) is where the bitmaps to show them as dice are put in place.

The things that were changed by the code you posted I think are hidden under the floating window in your screenshot.
From the tutorial
Quote:
Our script gets the final value for the trait and multiplies it by two to yield the proper die type, which can be output with an appropriate notation (e.g. "d6"). After our data files get more fleshed out, we can replace the simple "d6" notation with a suitable bitmap for the die type.
Both links are broken.

I already KNOW that the bitmap symbols aren't supposed to be there, it is supposed to read "d4", "d6", "d8", etc as text.

Also, The floating info window is only covering the derived stats from the skeleton files and does not apply to this question. Those values aren't even discussed until two pages down which I just started working on while waiting for replies here.
Goreshade is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 30th, 2016, 01:43 PM
Sorry about the links - if a web address posted on this forum ends in a parentheses, the close parentheses is left out of what's entered if you click on that link. You can manually edit the address it takes you to in order to fix those. Just add a close parentheses to the very end of the address.

The steps being done on this page of the walkthrough will not actually change the look of the numbers within the incrementers on the basics tab. At this point in the walkthrough, it is only doing the initial work that will support later changes that will alter the way the incrementers display their values.
Mathias is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
Goreshade

Old August 30th, 2016, 01:47 PM
Then why does it work for the other tables? Also why has the tutorial existed for so long telling you that it IS supposed to?

Last edited by Goreshade; August 30th, 2016 at 01:54 PM.
Goreshade is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 30th, 2016, 02:20 PM
Those other tables are places where you're only displaying a value, not allowing the user to set a value. The way you need to code displays are generally simpler than coding for things the user sets. So the walkthrough doesn't get to the more complex parts yet, since it's still at the beginning.

What that page actually says is:
Quote:
The text for the "trtDisplay" field needs to be generated prior to its use in the Finalize script of the "trtUser" field. The problem is that a field with a Finalize script cannot use the finalized value of a different field. The solution is to use a script that is timed to occur very late in the evaluation process. Since we can only compute value-based fields in a Calculate script, and we need to synthesize a text-based field, we must generate the text in an Eval script. Our script gets the final value for the trait and multiplies it by two to yield the proper die type, which can be output with an appropriate notation (e.g. "d6"). After our data files get more fleshed out, we can replace the simple "d6" notation with a suitable bitmap for the die type.
It does not say that it is actually changing the finalize script it refers to - just that it's setting up a field whose results will be used in that finalize script.
Mathias is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
Goreshade

Old August 30th, 2016, 03:56 PM
Actually it does...
Quote:
After our data files get more fleshed out, we can replace the simple "d6" notation with a suitable bitmap for the die type.
also below it says...
Quote:
Once everything is in place, reload the data files and test everything out. The sample attribute should display as "d4" on the Basics tab. If you adjust it up and down, it should properly display the next die type, capping at "d12" at the upper end and "d4" at the lower end.
and the page(adding bitmaps) you sent me to even confirms that it is supposed to be working before you get that far into the tutorial.
Quote:
Overview

The contents of the attribute and skill incrementers currently show the die-type and any adjustment using the format "d6+2". It would be ideal if we actually showed a bitmap for each die-type...
This needs to be addressed. Either by error checking the tutorial line by line, by going thru it slowly as a new file author would or by cleaning up the page entirely.

Look at this from the customer's (my) viewpoint for a moment. Their are two references to the notation working on the traits page, and then the customer is told that they need to go halfway thru the tutorial to play with bitmaps, which, for the record I never expected to work at all yet, nor asked for help on.

Then I am told that the page is wrong when it tells me the notation should be working and that the notation starts working at the bottom of the traits page, but then it doesn't.

Next, I am asked to post code, which is good, until I am told I am reading the instructions wrong using an example that also states the notation should be displaying in text.

I have spent over a week looking for a problem and many days patiently waiting for help that does not get looked at until I rephrase my question (which in turn bumps the link to unread status). When you do look at it, the response indicates they didn't fully read my post.

My attitude this whole time has been based in trying to help others that might be going thru the tutorial, until the feelings of having wasted vast amounts of time, and being told that I should have deciphered the vague instructions regardless of what the rest of the pages say. I am doing my best to be diplomatic, because I wish to continue with this project, and also because exhibiting harsh critique is the preferred excuse for modern customer service groups to sever contact with a customer. I hope that isn't the case here. I understand that Realm Works marketplace launch may be drawing more of your time but the authoring kit is also one of your products. I think it a great product, I think every RPG or GM out there should use it. The current state of the wiki detracts from this belief. I would like to help improve that.
Goreshade is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
Goreshade

Old September 2nd, 2016, 11:25 PM
Well, I decided to continue on. I got to the 10th page "Races and Racial Abilities (Savage)" and then ran into this problem. This happened on the first section of the tutorial where you add the Atlantean race to the files. This warning pops up every time you click an incrementer to adjust stats. No warning from the compiler.

Goreshade is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
Goreshade

Old September 6th, 2016, 05:30 PM
Anyone know what might be causing this?
Goreshade is offline   #30 Reply With Quote