Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

evilbob

Old November 6th, 2007, 02:59 PM
I've also been working on adding the Dragon Shaman. I have yet to figure out a good way to do it, so I scrap it and start over. If i figure something out I'll let you know if you agree to let me know if you get it on your end.
evilbob is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
AWizardInDallas

Send a message via AIM to AWizardInDallas Send a message via MSN to AWizardInDallas Send a message via Yahoo to AWizardInDallas Send a message via Skype™ to AWizardInDallas

Old November 23rd, 2008, 05:19 PM
Has anyone managed to enter the Dragon Shaman yet? I was considering doing so as well, but this post has me skittish.

AWizardInDallas
AWizardInDallas is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
krathen

Old November 23rd, 2008, 09:27 PM
the reason it's hard is because dragon shaman doesn't follow standard ideas of character templates, It's not really one class, but several, all based on what dragon type is chosen. they condense this for readability and spacial concerns, but you're basically choosing completely different class options with each type. So in my opinion the easiest way would be make each dragon shaman type (black, red, blue etc) it's own class. Which once it's set up initially should be fairly simple to copy until you have all the classes.
krathen is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
AWizardInDallas

Send a message via AIM to AWizardInDallas Send a message via MSN to AWizardInDallas Send a message via Yahoo to AWizardInDallas Send a message via Skype™ to AWizardInDallas

Old November 24th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Thanks, krathen. This was actually the approach I was considering. At the moment, I have a need for just the Red Dragon Shaman class.

AWizardInDallas
AWizardInDallas is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
krathen

Old November 24th, 2008, 07:11 PM
You're very welcome it just makes more sense then trying to break the way it sets up, especially since once you choose a type you're that type until you mutliclass (unsure if multiclassing is possible) it isn't like some classes where you have a shifting ability set dependent on what you choose before. Forgotten realms scares me when I think of entering some of that stuff in. So does Ebberon
krathen is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
AWizardInDallas

Old November 25th, 2008, 03:51 PM
What I'm actually looking to do is create a class of barbaric warriors that serve an ancient red dragon in my campaign. So, what I was planning was to enter the Red Dragon Shaman and multiclass them with barbarians to create a primitive beast worshiping warrior caste. (No plans to have any clergy at all.)

AWizardInDallas
AWizardInDallas is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
krathen

Old November 25th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Interesting idea.
krathen is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
AWizardInDallas

Old November 29th, 2008, 09:56 AM
I'm not sure how to handle Skill Focus. One choice seems to be to use the regular feats mechanism, the problem being that there's no way to restrict the skills list to just the dragon skills. Another seems to be to use Secondary Abilities which gives me the advantage of pre-selecting one of the three skills and adding the +3 bonus to the appropriate skill. The downside is that if the character has Skill Focus in all three skills, the player can then select from the skills list of another dragon color.

AWizardInDallas
AWizardInDallas is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
AWizardInDallas

Old November 29th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Now I'm trying to figure out how the Monk's bonus feats are done, because that's very similar to how Skill Focus works for the Dragon Shaman. This brings me to a question though: are the SRD source files still used by Hero Lab or are they now internalized.

AWizardInDallas
AWizardInDallas is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 29th, 2008, 05:27 PM
What's the source on Dragon Shaman? - I looked through my 3.5 bookshelf and Races of the Dragon and Draconomicon don't list it in their tables of contents.

No-one's mentioned the source in this thread, and I have some experience with weird bonus feat stuff, but don't know how you want it to work.

(BTW, I don't know that there's a way to specifiy a skill focus' target when selecting it as a bonus feat - I figure you can trust the user to do that).
Mathias is offline   #20 Reply With Quote